Waxwings on Rowan Tree
Posted 03/11/2012 - 17:16
Link
Superb shots Alan, they are such beautiful birds, I like the way you've managed to catch them with the berries in mid air. Thank you for sharing these with us.
Regards John/Jumbo
Posted 03/11/2012 - 17:22
Link
Great shots!... the top one looks like a Big Bird eating an apple
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 03/11/2012 - 18:51
Link
Mike-P wrote:
Some nice pics there Alan but a bit over sharpened for my tastes.
Second one in particular has some nasty jaggies round just about everything (especially the berry).
Thanks Mike. Not much sharpening applied, apart from the one you specifically mentioned. On that one there was some movement blur on the head which I tried to minimise with cack handed sharpening and the clone tool around the beak. If it had been a straightforward pic I would have just binned it. But I like the moment it captures Some nice pics there Alan but a bit over sharpened for my tastes.
Second one in particular has some nasty jaggies round just about everything (especially the berry).
Difficult lighting. Processing involved a lot of lifting shadows, and adding clarity. Thinking about it, adding the clarity can have a similar effect to sharpening
Posted 03/11/2012 - 20:13
Link
Great shots! The last two weeks our garden has been "invaded" by large flocks of Waxwings. They are possibly attracted to the slightly neglected fruit trees and berry bushes in our garden, and fortunately they take care of the left over plums and berries Wonderful birds!
Bjørn
Bjørn
Posted 03/11/2012 - 21:27
Link
These are utterly superb photos
Posted 04/11/2012 - 06:37
Link
Really good shots Alan. Whilst you are inundated I haven't seen one this year (we do have them) !
#1 does indeed look like a dinosaur sized bird eating an orange !
I see your grey skies do detract a little from the shots - someone was trying to teach me how to change grey to blue the other day (I don't have PS though and it's tough to do in Aperture). A useful skill to learn perhaps
#1 does indeed look like a dinosaur sized bird eating an orange !
I see your grey skies do detract a little from the shots - someone was trying to teach me how to change grey to blue the other day (I don't have PS though and it's tough to do in Aperture). A useful skill to learn perhaps
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 05/11/2012 - 11:00
Link
Thanks for comments everyone - much appreciated.
These were taken with the Siggy 150-500 on Saturday. I went back yesterday with the new DA 300. I'll post some pics taken with that later
Frogfish wrote:
I see your grey skies do detract a little from the shots - someone was trying to teach me how to change grey to blue the other day (I don't have PS though and it's tough to do in Aperture). A useful skill to learn perhaps
Good point Kevin. Photoshop is something I try to avoid ... lol.I see your grey skies do detract a little from the shots - someone was trying to teach me how to change grey to blue the other day (I don't have PS though and it's tough to do in Aperture). A useful skill to learn perhaps
These were taken with the Siggy 150-500 on Saturday. I went back yesterday with the new DA 300. I'll post some pics taken with that later
Posted 05/11/2012 - 13:02
Link
Alan - here's an example. Not my work, someone offered to give it a try. My original and his reworked blue sky version.


http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4248 posts
16 years
Blyth,
Northumberland
Waxwing on Rowan tree by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Catch by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Waxwing gymnastics by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Waxwing berry catching by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Waxwing eating Rowan berries by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
PPG
Flickr