Wanted: Sigma 70mm Macro

BentlyTCow

Link Posted 27/01/2013 - 17:52
As per the title, I'm looking for a Sigma 70mm Macro with pricing somewhere nearer the 200 mark than the 300 mark

I'll be using it more for flora than fauna, so if anyone has suggestions of something similarly suitable in that price range I would be glad to hear of it.

Thanks!

Defragged

Link Posted 27/01/2013 - 22:56
This (Pentax fit Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1)is currently on ebay if it's of
any interest to you! It may not be 70mm but on digital it equates to 75mm.
It's not auto focus either but with macro photography manual focus is usually considered the way to go anyway. It is also 1:1 so should be ideal for flora and it's within your budget...
link
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Last Edited by Defragged on 27/01/2013 - 22:57

BentlyTCow

Link Posted 27/01/2013 - 23:35
Thanks for taking the time to post a link!

I'm intrugued by the idea, but I don't know if 50mm would be quite right.. I've tried a standard 50mm on a mid-sized tube but it didn't really speak to me.

Most of my close focus shots have been at 70mm. I have a Pentax A 35-70mm f/4 and was always using it at 70. Same with the Sigma 17-70mm and the Tamron 28-75mm I used to have - always at the long end. The minimum focus distance on the 17-70mm was so short I was forever brushing it against leaves and flowers.

I had been considering getting the Tamron 90mm originally, but decided the 70mm might be a better all-purpose solution.

On the other hand, the price is certainly right

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it anyway, in case nothing else pans out!

Thanks again

myeates

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 09:24
The performance from the Sigma 70mm is stellar, it is truly a superb lens, and worth every penny, the bokeh is stunning, you will prob struggle to get one for 200 though.

BentlyTCow

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 16:08
myeates wrote:
The performance from the Sigma 70mm is stellar, it is truly a superb lens, and worth every penny, the bokeh is stunning, you will prob struggle to get one for 200 though.

Exactly why I had settled on the 70mm in the end. Supposed to be sharp from f/2.8 where the Tamron 90mm isn't quite as good until f/4.

But I've managed to source the Sigma from samson51 for nearer 200 than 300 (same as the last one sold for), so I'm set!

Should it not suit me, however, I may end up trying out the Tamron after all. Or even the 50mm macro that Defragged mentioned.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 17:09
Loved my Sigma 70mm but absolutely hated the screw on hood.
Daft I know but because of that it got very little use ... very very sharp lens though and is even a little better than 1:1 magnification apparently.

It also works with the Sigma 1.4x and 2x converters.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

BentlyTCow

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 18:59
I'd heard about the problems with the hood, but I doubt I'll use it very often. If it becomes an issue I'll probably pick up something like this.

Good to know about the teleconverters, not that I'll be able to afford either any time soon

Marselus

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 20:34
I got this lens and is really, really razor sharp and the thing about the lens hood is OK on mi lens, don't have any problems with it. It is just up to the owner of the lens, either you like it or hate it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.