Wanted: Pentax Z-1 or Z-1P


doubled

Link Posted 24/04/2017 - 11:43
Hi all,

My trusty old Z-1 (Or it used to be!) has packed up this weekend while shooting our little one's birthday party
The mirror is stuck in the up position and I've tried a new battery but it's still stuck in the same state. The AF and other aspects of the camera still seem to be working OK tho. I've tried Google and unfortunately it seems to be unfixable or uneconomical to fix these days. Does anyone have one they would like to part with? I'm looking for one in good working and cosmetic condition.

Thanks a lot everyone,
D

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 24/04/2017 - 13:03
where in Surrey are you?

There is a guy called Pramath at Asahi Photo in Brentford, who might be able to help to get yours fixed.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

doubled

Link Posted 24/04/2017 - 15:00
Thanks for the tip - I'll give him a call and see what can be done!

I am in Dorking BTW.

Cheers,
D

pschlute

Link Posted 24/04/2017 - 15:54
I had the same issue with my Z1 a while ago. As you have discovered it is a known fault with the plastic gear that moves the mirror. The best fix is to get someone to replace the gear with a purpose made brass one.

I managed to find one on ebay in full working order that I was going to canibalise. When it arrived it was in excellent condition, so no surgery required. But I dare not use it much in case it suffers the same fate.
Peter



My Flickr page

Blincodave

Link Posted 24/04/2017 - 17:48
LCE have one for sale: link

phb

Link Posted 24/04/2017 - 21:13
I have a Z1p I can sell. Please send a PM

Paul

doubled

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 09:44
pschlute wrote:
I had the same issue with my Z1 a while ago. As you have discovered it is a known fault with the plastic gear that moves the mirror. The best fix is to get someone to replace the gear with a purpose made brass one.

I managed to find one on ebay in full working order that I was going to canibalise. When it arrived it was in excellent condition, so no surgery required. But I dare not use it much in case it suffers the same fate.

Thanks for the tip - I guess I should have bought two when I had the chance (Or as many as I can)! The Z-1/p is such a lovely and unique/quirky/capable camera in the Pentax line up, I just couldn't think of any other pentax cameras that I can replace it with after it packed up! Time to keep searching then

doubled

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 09:46
Blincodave wrote:
LCE have one for sale: link

Thanks for the link Dave - Unfortunately, there is a crack near the battery door (I'm anal like that) and I don't need another 28-105!

doubled

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 09:47
phb wrote:
I have a Z1p I can sell. Please send a PM

Paul

Hi Paul, PM sent.

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 10:58
doubled wrote:
Blincodave wrote:
LCE have one for sale: link

Thanks for the link Dave - Unfortunately, there is a crack near the battery door (I'm anal like that) and I don't need another 28-105!

The crack is a Z-1/Z-1p feature. Replacement baseplates impossible to find.

I was thinking of offering my Z-1p (sold the Z-1 last year) but felt like King of the Castle when I bought it in 1995 but reluctant to part with it (same with my M645).
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:00
Blincodave wrote:
LCE have one for sale: link

cheaper alternative for the 28-105 lens too - the PZ variant (as opposed to later 28-105s) is highly regarded.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:26
ilovesaabs wrote:
Blincodave wrote:
LCE have one for sale: link

cheaper alternative for the 28-105 lens too - the PZ variant (as opposed to later 28-105s) is highly regarded.

If it helps, I've just popped into the Cheltenham branch to have a look at the Z-1P and apart from the crack (which could easily be rectified with a little superglue) it is in very good condition. Many cameras of this age have quite a lot of debris in the viewfinder/mirror housing - this one doesn't and is very clean overall with everything appearing to work beautifully. If I was in the market it's a copy I would buy
LennyBloke

doubled

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:28
ilovesaabs wrote:
doubled wrote:
Quote:
LCE have one for sale: link

Thanks for the link Dave - Unfortunately, there is a crack near the battery door (I'm anal like that) and I don't need another 28-105!

The crack is a Z-1/Z-1p feature. Replacement baseplates impossible to find.

I have/had three Z-1/p(s) and I've not had any of them with a cracked base plate!

ilovesaabs wrote:
doubled wrote:
Quote:
LCE have one for sale: link

Thanks for the link Dave - Unfortunately, there is a crack near the battery door (I'm anal like that) and I don't need another 28-105!

I was thinking of offering my Z-1p (sold the Z-1 last year) but felt like King of the Castle when I bought it in 1995 but reluctant to part with it (same with my M645).

I still remember drooling in front of the shop window thinking I've got to have one of those and every time I pick up my Z-1, it reminds me of that day...... But there was no way I could have afforded a 600 camera body back in the mid/late 90s! I still regretted and feel pretty stupid for selling a mint Z-1P a few years back!

doubled

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:32
ilovesaabs wrote:
Blincodave wrote:
LCE have one for sale: link

cheaper alternative for the 28-105 lens too - the PZ variant (as opposed to later 28-105s) is highly regarded.

It is this very same version which I already have a copy of (among many other standard zooms which I also own). I am a hoarder, I know. At least my missus thinks I am anyway

doubled

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:35
LennyBloke wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:
Quote:
LCE have one for sale: link

cheaper alternative for the 28-105 lens too - the PZ variant (as opposed to later 28-105s) is highly regarded.

If it helps, I've just popped into the Cheltenham branch to have a look at the Z-1P and apart from the crack (which could easily be rectified with a little superglue) it is in very good condition. Many cameras of this age have quite a lot of debris in the viewfinder/mirror housing - this one doesn't and is very clean overall with everything appearing to work beautifully. If I was in the market it's a copy I would buy

Thanks for that John - It's good to hear that it is a good copy apart from the crack! I'll wait for Paul's reply and see what he has to offer and I might give LCE a call.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.