Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wanted: Pentax Z-1 or Z-1P

doubled
Posted 24/04/2017 - 11:43 Link
Hi all,

My trusty old Z-1 (Or it used to be!) has packed up this weekend while shooting our little one's birthday party
The mirror is stuck in the up position and I've tried a new battery but it's still stuck in the same state. The AF and other aspects of the camera still seem to be working OK tho. I've tried Google and unfortunately it seems to be unfixable or uneconomical to fix these days. Does anyone have one they would like to part with? I'm looking for one in good working and cosmetic condition.

Thanks a lot everyone,
D
ilovesaabs
Posted 24/04/2017 - 13:03 Link
where in Surrey are you?

There is a guy called Pramath at Asahi Photo in Brentford, who might be able to help to get yours fixed.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
doubled
Posted 24/04/2017 - 15:00 Link
Thanks for the tip - I'll give him a call and see what can be done!

I am in Dorking BTW.

Cheers,
D
pschlute
Posted 24/04/2017 - 15:54 Link
I had the same issue with my Z1 a while ago. As you have discovered it is a known fault with the plastic gear that moves the mirror. The best fix is to get someone to replace the gear with a purpose made brass one.

I managed to find one on ebay in full working order that I was going to canibalise. When it arrived it was in excellent condition, so no surgery required. But I dare not use it much in case it suffers the same fate.
Blincodave
Posted 24/04/2017 - 17:48 Link
LCE have one for sale: link
phb
Posted 24/04/2017 - 21:13 Link
I have a Z1p I can sell. Please send a PM

Paul
doubled
Posted 25/04/2017 - 09:44 Link
pschlute wrote:
I had the same issue with my Z1 a while ago. As you have discovered it is a known fault with the plastic gear that moves the mirror. The best fix is to get someone to replace the gear with a purpose made brass one.

I managed to find one on ebay in full working order that I was going to canibalise. When it arrived it was in excellent condition, so no surgery required. But I dare not use it much in case it suffers the same fate.

Thanks for the tip - I guess I should have bought two when I had the chance (Or as many as I can)! The Z-1/p is such a lovely and unique/quirky/capable camera in the Pentax line up, I just couldn't think of any other pentax cameras that I can replace it with after it packed up! Time to keep searching then
doubled
Posted 25/04/2017 - 09:46 Link
Blincodave wrote:

Thanks for the link Dave - Unfortunately, there is a crack near the battery door (I'm anal like that) and I don't need another 28-105!
doubled
Posted 25/04/2017 - 09:47 Link
phb wrote:
I have a Z1p I can sell. Please send a PM

Paul

Hi Paul, PM sent.
ilovesaabs
Posted 25/04/2017 - 10:58 Link
doubled wrote:
Blincodave wrote:

Thanks for the link Dave - Unfortunately, there is a crack near the battery door (I'm anal like that) and I don't need another 28-105!

The crack is a Z-1/Z-1p feature. Replacement baseplates impossible to find.

I was thinking of offering my Z-1p (sold the Z-1 last year) but felt like King of the Castle when I bought it in 1995 but reluctant to part with it (same with my M645).
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
ilovesaabs
Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:00 Link
Blincodave wrote:

cheaper alternative for the 28-105 lens too - the PZ variant (as opposed to later 28-105s) is highly regarded.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
LennyBloke
Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:26 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
Blincodave wrote:

cheaper alternative for the 28-105 lens too - the PZ variant (as opposed to later 28-105s) is highly regarded.

If it helps, I've just popped into the Cheltenham branch to have a look at the Z-1P and apart from the crack (which could easily be rectified with a little superglue) it is in very good condition. Many cameras of this age have quite a lot of debris in the viewfinder/mirror housing - this one doesn't and is very clean overall with everything appearing to work beautifully. If I was in the market it's a copy I would buy
LennyBloke
doubled
Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:28 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
doubled wrote:
Quote:

The crack is a Z-1/Z-1p feature. Replacement baseplates impossible to find.

I have/had three Z-1/p(s) and I've not had any of them with a cracked base plate!

ilovesaabs wrote:
doubled wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking of offering my Z-1p (sold the Z-1 last year) but felt like King of the Castle when I bought it in 1995 but reluctant to part with it (same with my M645).

I still remember drooling in front of the shop window thinking I've got to have one of those and every time I pick up my Z-1, it reminds me of that day...... But there was no way I could have afforded a £600 camera body back in the mid/late 90s! I still regretted and feel pretty stupid for selling a mint Z-1P a few years back!
doubled
Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:32 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
Blincodave wrote:

It is this very same version which I already have a copy of (among many other standard zooms which I also own). I am a hoarder, I know. At least my missus thinks I am anyway
doubled
Posted 25/04/2017 - 11:35 Link
LennyBloke wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:
Quote:

If it helps, I've just popped into the Cheltenham branch to have a look at the Z-1P and apart from the crack (which could easily be rectified with a little superglue) it is in very good condition. Many cameras of this age have quite a lot of debris in the viewfinder/mirror housing - this one doesn't and is very clean overall with everything appearing to work beautifully. If I was in the market it's a copy I would buy

Thanks for that John - It's good to hear that it is a good copy apart from the crack! I'll wait for Paul's reply and see what he has to offer and I might give LCE a call.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.