Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wanted - a printing firm

techno-terminator
Posted 18/07/2013 - 07:01 Link
preferably in Edinburgh or Glasgow who would be able to print to A2 size - 16.54ins x 23.39ins from some files I have. I am assured that that these are all large print resolution, in other words for poster size prints without diminished quality.

As these are for display and will be moved fairly regularly it has been suggested to me that I should be looking for a printer to print them directly onto ' foam board'.

Anyone got any ideas ? Pretty please - it is for our Church
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
gartmore
Posted 18/07/2013 - 08:13 Link
Loxley Colour are easily best, you can upload via FTP or go out to the lab which is next to the Irn Bru refinery in Cumbernauld. Prices are excellent and delivery is always less than 24 hours.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
techno-terminator
Posted 18/07/2013 - 09:33 Link
Thanks Ken

I'll PM you about this once various consultations have been made with the other folk involved

fritzthedog
Posted 18/07/2013 - 15:38 Link
I work with large marketing images fairly frequently and if you are going to be moving the images a lot - or they are going to be handled a lot - you may want to consider having them backed on to something a little more rigid -like mdf instead of foam.

in my experience the edges - especially corners are susceptible to transit and handling damage on foam board or foamex and if handled frequently can quickly start looking a bit tatty.

For ultimate protection - consider acrylic - an A2 frame (effectively an acrylic sandwich with the photo being the filling) prices from around £30 each - not cheap but re-usable and can be wall mounted easily and look good

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
techno-terminator
Posted 18/07/2013 - 20:29 Link
Acrylic won't work - these prints are to be as near to hand painted icons as we can get .

They won't be wall mounted but will be placed on easels for services and then put away till the following week .

Once the Disk with all the images gets to me [ later this summer ] some of us will go out to Loxley and talk with them and get advice as to how best to proceed.

gartmore
Posted 18/07/2013 - 23:30 Link
You'll find the staff knowledgable, enthusiastic and incredibly helpful. The showroom will have examples of everything they do. DO NOT take any of your own pictures and a credit card.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Edited by gartmore: 18/07/2013 - 23:32
techno-terminator
Posted 19/07/2013 - 07:54 Link
Thanks Ken - the warning is greatly appreciated

I have 4 files in mind for printing - and depending on what's on the disk [ when it reaches me] there could be more . I've printed some of these to A4 myself in the past [ and they were superb on semi-gloss ! ] but having to up the size markedly means we have to go to the pros for the printing this time.

I'm one for accepting advice from the experts and I'm sure that when we can all get together over this we will get exactly what's needed - though I suspect this is a type of work they have never done before

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.