Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Walk down the River Teign

Dorset_Mike
Posted 27/05/2020 - 17:37 Link
I took my DA12-24mm for a walk from Newton Abbot down the River Teign last week. All processed from RAW in Affinity Photo which, with the half price offer, is my absolute "buy of the year".

1. Footbridge over the Teign at Newton Abbot Town Quay
Comment Image

2. The A380 towards Exeter
Comment Image

3. View down the river
Comment Image

4. View across the river towards Bishopsteignton
Comment Image

5. Looking back towards Newton Abbot
Comment Image

Thank you for looking. Any comments, whatever their complexion, will be welcome.
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!
Posted 27/05/2020 - 18:47 Link
Strong compositions, which have an inherent drama to them... they're super as they are in colour, but am just wondering, given you've gone the b&w route on no.2, if mono might well suit the set as a whole? Just a thought... very nice as is...

Best
Dorset_Mike
Posted 27/05/2020 - 21:21 Link
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
Strong compositions, which have an inherent drama to them... they're super as they are in colour, but am just wondering, given you've gone the b&w route on no.2, if mono might well suit the set as a whole? Just a thought... very nice as is...

Best

Thank you, Bill, for your positive comments and interesting suggestion. I haven't thought about converting the other images to mono as I am reasonably pleased with them in colour - but you may well be right. I'll have a play with them in due course. I converted number 2 because I was, frankly, disappointed with the colour version which I felt lacked impact but thought that the strong shape of the viaduct, and interesting sky, might come up well in b&w. It was also an opportunity to try the mono conversion capabilities of Affinity Photo. I am quite pleased with the outcome on both counts .... but I am still learning about Affinity and so there might be better to come.
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!
pschlute
Posted 30/05/2020 - 02:38 Link
No 2 is the stand out for me. Strong composition with the bridge drawing the eye into the picture. That sky is pretty special too.
Lubbyman
Posted 30/05/2020 - 10:25 Link
Yes, No. 2 for me too.

No. 4 would be a strong contender if it were cropped just below the two lumps sticking out of the water in the foreground. Too strong a pull towards the bottom at the moment, the crop would help the eye be drawn into the distance. In fact, until I blanked out the bottom on the screen, I didn't even see the second red 'beacon' (on the RH side). And the resulting wide-screen format helps to emphasise the flow of the river from L to R (or vice versa?).

Hope that helps.

Steve
cardiffgareth
Posted 30/05/2020 - 11:05 Link
I like the black and white
Gareth Williams ARPS

My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
MrB
Posted 30/05/2020 - 11:49 Link
The river shots 4 and 5 are the compositions that appeal to me most (and I would enjoy them even more if their colours were shifted to a slightly more summery feel).

Philip
Sry
Posted 30/05/2020 - 20:40 Link
I'm all for #2 also, strong lines and general composition, no colour to distract from them (ok, I'll admit to being somewhat partial to b+w )
Dorset_Mike
Posted 03/06/2020 - 11:56 Link
Thanks very much folks for your helpful comments.
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.