Vivitar 5000 ring flash

CoDa

Link Posted 18/04/2012 - 14:05
Has anybody used one of the above for Macro work?

It takes 2xAA batteries, so I assume that it is OK to connect to my K7

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Last Edited by CoDa on 18/04/2012 - 14:06

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 18/04/2012 - 14:28
Yes I've used one it's the same as the Cobra Macroflash and an older Starblitz. It comes with a pc cord so will connect to your camera via the sync connector. If anyone is using a camera without a flash sync socket you'd need a hot shoe to pc adaptor The flash is not very powerful but does provide a ring light around the subject when used at close range on small subjects. At a push it can be used for portraiture although the light is quite central compared with the larger pro ring lights that have a much larger diameter ring.

JAK

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 00:27
Also the same as a Centon MR20 (from Jessops.) Agreed its fine. Trigger voltage is around 6 volts so no issue there.

It should come with a PC sync cord and 49mm, 52mm and 55mm adapter rings.

Flash has a manual and an auto setting which seems to work just fine. A second hand one shouldn't cost more than £45 top whack. A good bargain buy for macro work.

John
John K

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 19/04/2012 - 09:49
Quote:
It should come with a PC sync cord and 49mm, 52mm and 55mm adapter rings.

It's a series VII mount so you can buy any other size from about 30.5mm up to 62mm and use stepping rings for other sizes. Although larger may cause vignetting, depending on lens focal length used.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.