Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Visiting Prague

drfahad
Posted 10/03/2014 - 21:21 Link
Visiting Prague on 13th this month for few days, any sites for snaps and visit, also any precaution for the city, thanks in advance
Bodies: K3 (Gunmetal Limited Edition) & K30
Pentax lenses: DA 18-250mm,FA 50 1.4,, DA 35mm F2.4
Sigma lenses: 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 DC Macro,24mm 2.8 Superwide II AF, 50mm 2.8 Macro,50-150mm f2.8 DC EX HSMII , 70-200 2.8 EX APO
Falcon 8mm Fish eye + Old manual lenses
Flashes: Pentax 360 fgz, Metz 48 Af-1, Pentax Af 280T
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 10/03/2014 - 21:34 Link
Just be prepared to have a great time loads to photograph train to kutna hora for the church of bones . We were surprised to find English morris dancers in the middle of Prague the whole 3days and nights were a blast would go back in an instant
drfahad
Posted 10/03/2014 - 21:48 Link
Church of bones... sounds interesting
Sigma lenses: 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 DC Macro,24mm 2.8 Superwide II AF, 50mm 2.8 Macro,50-150mm f2.8 DC EX HSMII , 70-200 2.8 EX APO
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 10/03/2014 - 21:51 Link
Prague is gorgeous, there's lots to photograph. See all the usual tourist stuff but try not to eat/drink in the centre, it's very expensive. A 5-minute walk away from the centre will get you to much cheaper places but with very good quality. The food in Prague is superb.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
dougf8
Posted 10/03/2014 - 22:14 Link
Things will have changed but ....

Negotiate the taxi before you get in
Eat before you start drinking.
The clubs are searching you for guns, not knives.
Pike is a bony fish.
If you drink, make sure you get a wake up call for your flight back.
Always buy a ticket for the underground.

I fell in love several times. ;D

http://www.myczechrepublic.com/czech_language/czech_phrases.html
Lurking is shirking.!
kh1234567890
Posted 10/03/2014 - 22:53 Link
drfahad wrote:
Visiting Prague on 13th this month for few days, any sites for snaps and visit, also any precaution for the city, thanks in advance

A few days is not long enough - I was born there

Where are you staying ?

I could offer a million tips and hints - what do you need to know ?
Posted 10/03/2014 - 23:39 - Helpful Comment Link
Prague, A great city. VERY photogenic.

Some tips (as some have been mentioned)

Avoid the centre Wenceslas Square and a couple of blocks around it for food and drink. More than two blocks is fine.
Get a travel pass, cheap and the trams are the best in Europe for where they go.
Old Town - So photogenic, as is lesser town across the river.
Lennon Wall, near the river. You must get some photos of it.
Try Uludvika on Nadradnzi, great food and beer.
Oh the Beer. You MUST try the Budvar black beer, it is divine...Mind you ALL beer in Prague is superb.
Aviation museum at kbely, is well worth it, if you have time.
Get up to the castle (by tram) for superb views of the whole city and the red roofs.
Take the Furnicular to Petrin for a "mini Eiffel tower" with great gardens.

To be honest, there are lots to see and do in Prague. It is one of my favourite cities.
link
Some Cameras
Edited by Offertonhatter: 10/03/2014 - 23:44
K10D
Posted 11/03/2014 - 02:08 Link
I have family just moved there this year so will be visiting for a week in July.

The upside, seeing the family, no hotel fees, plenty of images to capture, somewhere different that's beautiful.

The downside, probably trying all of the beers, food and getting all sentimental about leaving....

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
vic cross
Posted 11/03/2014 - 08:22 - Helpful Comment Link
Don't forget the jazz band on Charles Bridge. It's been there for a 1000? years and gets a new member when an old one leaves OR dies. Of course Charles Bridge itself is worth photographing if it is your first time there. It's been done to death. If you can find a high spot and take a photo looking down on the river and bridge then the red rooftops make a superb scenic.
CHEERS Vic.
PS be careful with some of the beers, they are quite strong.
Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Fletcher8
Posted 11/03/2014 - 09:48 Link
So much to photograph in Prague you would need a month to do the city justice. Once you have visited all of the well known architectural styles and locations, if you walk from Charles Bridge, along the main road heading left up river for about half a mile, perhaps a mile, you will see some great unique modern architecture such as the image below. The translation of this building is the "Dancing Houses". When i was their Jan 2013 for two days, it rained most of the time, I would love to go back again. However, I think i preferred it when I went in 1991, like everywhere else, its become far to commercial in my opinion and has lost a little bit of its original uniqueness, although it is still one of the great cities of Europe.

Comment Image
Fletcher8.
Edited by Fletcher8: 11/03/2014 - 09:53
ilovesaabs
Posted 11/03/2014 - 09:52 Link
U Fleku
U Medviku

and try not get surrounded by people you don't know or get stopped for directions....tourists are rich pickings....

Was there for my 40th 5 years ago, had a great time, would like to go back but there are other places I want to go first.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
kh1234567890
Posted 11/03/2014 - 11:49 - Helpful Comment Link
U Fleku is a bit of a tourist trap. If you are into Art Deco do the guided tour of the Municipal House (Obecni Dum). The beer-hall restaurant in the basement is also OK. And while in that area drop in for a coffee/tea + cake in the cubist Grand Cafe Orient just up the road towards Old Town Square. Avoid the Old Town Square restaurants. Good views from the roof terrace of the U Prince hotel there (through the bar and up the lift).

In Wenceslas Square explore some of the shopping passages at the top end (Lucerna, Svetozor - with the Tesla Radio stained glass window, etc.)

Most of the centre is walkable - if you need the Metro or tram get a bunch of tickets from the Metro office or a paper stand. The cheaper 30 minute Ck 24 ticket should do you most of the time unless going far. Tram 22 takes you to the back of the castle if you are too lazy to climb the steps. Tram tickets also work on the lanovka (funicular). Don't take the Metro for short journeys, you'll end up walking as far as you'd anyway underground. If you need a taxi use one of the bigger companies - AAA Taxis are very good and reliable.

Unless you are aiming to get drunk drink the weaker 10deg beer rather than the 12deg or more brew. And if you don't like dumplings then ask for boiled potatoes instead - a perfectly normal thing to do. Don't tip too much, just round up the bill a bit and tell the waiter how much you want to pay rather than leaving a tip on the table as you leave.

Hopefully you'll get some sunny weather
drfahad
Posted 11/03/2014 - 21:24 Link
kh1234567890 wrote:
drfahad wrote:

A few days is not long enough - I was born there

Where are you staying ?

I could offer a million tips and hints - what do you need to know ?

My Mrs already there and rented a flat in Prague 2 Vinohrady area, we are also going to Brno for few days.
08tiger
Posted 13/03/2014 - 04:04 Link
Will be visiting Prague for the first time in May, all the above has been very useful.
C&C welcome.
Don.
kh1234567890
Posted 13/03/2014 - 09:17 Link
08tiger wrote:
Will be visiting Prague for the first time in May, all the above has been very useful.

May is the best time of the year to go to Prague

BTW if you are near the bottom bit of Wenceslas Square get some open sandwiches (chlebicky) form the Golden Cross Deli or ice cream from Ovocny Svetozor and sit in the Franciscan Garden as the local do.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.