Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Valletta

Sry
Posted 17/11/2019 - 22:55 Link
I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Malta recently. I can't say I would have chosen the island as a travel destination, nor that I developed any special bond to it while there. If I were to go back, I'd need to plan things differently and spend my time out in the countryside (or what is left of it). Valletta and the whole east coast was way too much for me, in terms of cars, buses, trucks, construction/destruction - and related noise and dust and rough (yet uncannily skilled!) bus drivers. And the sheer number of people on such a small rock (and this was october, I can't imagine what it might be like in full tourist season)!

I did manage to find a few moments of peace, and even quiet (one always does, given the time), provided by a small collection of fishing/summer shacks at the very tip of the Valletta peninsula. Two elderly gents taking their lunchtime swim were the only humans present in this haven, maybe 200 metres away from the madding crowds uptown... Hopefully I managed to capture a bit of what felt like (melancholy) positivity in the midday sun!

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
McGregNi
Posted 18/11/2019 - 00:36 Link
I like the odd, observational angles, and the focus on the mundane...a tradesmans entrance view of things. Nice exposure control with the high key emphasis too.

I'm not liking the black and white here though. I think they are crying out to burst into colour, and I'm not convinced that what contrast there is can sustain them, even if you stretched it out to extremes with your blacks. This almost works with the boat and the bins, but what you've really got there is a mono colour pop, with no colour!

The best one, given your treatment, is No7, because of the lovely gradations of tones, shadow play and the revealing of textures.... Qualities that are lacking in all the others.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 18/11/2019 - 00:44
Sry
Posted 18/11/2019 - 14:58 Link
Thank you for your thoughts, Nigel. One of these does work all right in colour (to my taste at least):

Comment Image

I like the b+w just as much though, and thought it best to keep the set consistent. The thing is, colour just doesn't do much for me (in my own photography, that is). When I do feel an image will work in colour, it's almost always after the fact, and more often than not a happy accident, and I think of the processing as a 'colour conversion' from the b+w that was originally in my mind... I would need to work on that, as I see plenty of coloured beauties (many of which on these very forums), but I haven't the time nor the want to develop that new set of skills...
LennyBloke
Posted 18/11/2019 - 18:45 Link
Because of the predominantly light tones of the plaster and walls the B&W treatment works really well, IMO the colour shot illustrates why with the distracting blue of the rails (it's still a nice shot but the B&W works better to my eyes).

Particularly like the more High-Key shots (1,3, 2)
LennyBloke
Sry
Posted 18/11/2019 - 20:36 Link
Thank you Lenny.

LennyBloke wrote:
the distracting blue of the rails

Yes, I would definitely have toned that down had I decided to go for colour!
Nigelk
Posted 18/11/2019 - 22:42 Link
This is a really well observed and well framed set. I find the choice of fairly high key black and white a perfect fit for the subject matter.
womble
Posted 18/11/2019 - 22:51 Link
Lovely set. I especially like the last one.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Posted 19/11/2019 - 07:49 Link
Super set Serge... the high key b&w gives the set a very “clean” feel to my eye, which is backed up by the sparse and decluttered compositions... much more difficult to achieve than it looks... very light and bright... particularly like the geometry of these... 3,4,5 and 6 tell a nice story about the place itself... particularly like 1, for the juxtaposition of the softness of the fabric vs the lines of the stone/metal, and the wit (as well as the composition) of 8...

Best
pschlute
Posted 19/11/2019 - 19:12 Link
I thought I had posted already. I am sorry but this series is not doing it for me. I like the lines and shapes you create but the tones are too flat for my liking. I am a fan of high key where appropriate, but as a set no.

Sorry to be negative, I usually love your work.

ps if you had posted the first on its own in a large size I would have been all over it
Edited by pschlute: 19/11/2019 - 19:13
jvs
Posted 19/11/2019 - 19:29 Link
For me, the midday sun shines strongly, almost blindingly, in all of these. I do like the way you seek out the angles and viewpoints that most would not notice in much of your photography. That's present here too, and I don't mind the lack of colour, though I don't know if you intended that to emphasise the strength of the sunlight!
John
Sry
Posted 19/11/2019 - 21:32 Link
Thank you all for your thoughts.

LennyBloke wrote:
Because of the predominantly light tones [...] particularly like the more High-Key shots

Nigelk wrote:
I find the choice of fairly high key black and white a perfect fit for the subject matter.

thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
the high key b&w gives the set a very “clean” feel [...] very light and bright

jvs wrote:
For me, the midday sun shines strongly, almost blindingly, in all of these

I'm happy I managed to convey the harsh Maltese light - that was definitely part of what I was after (midday Malta doesn't offer much of an alternative anyways ). As for the geometric aspect, the first shot got me in the mindset, which developed from there - ending with the particularly angular last shot (the type of shot that is just there, asking for you to capture it).

pschlute wrote:
Sorry to be negative

Please don't be sorry, you are expressing a perfectly valid and argumented personal view

pschlute wrote:
I usually love your work.

Another perfectly valid personal view!

Thanks all for commenting, much appreciated.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.