Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Using K100D and older flashguns

redbirdpete
Posted 02/08/2011 - 23:50 Link
I find the inbuilt flash on the K100D fine for short range work, but it soon runs out of power. I've got hold of an AF 280T (I've got to operate on a limited budget) Can anyone suggest how to set this up to get the best use of its features? I know its not compatible with P-TTL, but shouldn't it have some ability above pure manual? There isn't a sync setting on the K100D (125X or whatever). This is probably a dumb question, but I've never been the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to flash photography.
Dangermouse
Posted 03/08/2011 - 00:11 - Helpful Comment Link
If you set the K100D to P and the flash to one of the two Auto modes then it should work as a fully automated program flash, with the aperture being set according to the ISO you pick.

You can also use those modes with the camera in M, in this case you set shutter speed, ISO and aperture to what the flash expects and the flash's own light sensor will determine the correct output.

I'm not sure what the max sync speed on the K100D is, on my K-m it's 1/180.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
redbirdpete
Posted 03/08/2011 - 22:01 Link
In P , its sets the shutter speed to 1/30? But it seems to work ok as long as you don't use bounce or swivel. I guess that's down to trial and error - at least that's much easier on digital!
Dangermouse
Posted 03/08/2011 - 22:26 Link
On my K-m it sets it to 1/45 or so, which is ok with SR.

To be honest you'd be better off finding the max sync speed and setting the camera to that in manual mode, it'll be faster than 1/30. I know I've used an AF160 before now, just setting the camera to what the flash expects and letting the flash's own sensor deal with the rest worked well enough. I think I was able to find mine on the Dimitrov K mount site's page for the camera.

The flash sensor can't cope with bounce or swivel as it's unable to work out how much light will be reflected from whatever you're using to bounce the flash. In those scenarios you can adjust the aperture to improve matters or switch the flash to manual too and adjust the power output.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.