Used equipment prices
Posted 07/03/2014 - 11:45
Link
Indeed. I was going to put a Samsung 50-200 sans hood up, but after looking at ebay to get a price point I decided that it's simply not worth it (especially as I'll decide I want it again in a year ).
Tony
Tony
Posted 07/03/2014 - 13:40
Link
Prices for used gear always fluctuate. On the up side, it means it's a good time to buy, though I'm saving for a K3 so I'm resisting most of the things I'd like to snap up (like Lennybloke's entire K collection :lol
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 07/03/2014 - 14:39
Link
I remember reading that prices are always lower over the Winter, and then pick up in Spring/Summer when people start dusting off their equipment and getting out more.
Having said that, I think a lot of Pentax folk are saving up for the K3. Prices on used bodies seem especially cheap.
Having said that, I think a lot of Pentax folk are saving up for the K3. Prices on used bodies seem especially cheap.
Posted 07/03/2014 - 15:06
Link
also has everybody now settled their ppi claims...less cash slushing around the economy...
David
Posted 07/03/2014 - 19:57
Link
Prices have been depressed partially due to new lenses coming out and people waiting for new announcements and freebies with K3.
Hey, DA 55-300 would easily go for around £200 a year ago, now I'm struggling to shift at £135!
Good news is that we finally getting some WR glass to accompany the bodies
Though I gotta say, it is surprising how well K-5 holds it's price when brand new K-30 is available for £300 as well.
Hey, DA 55-300 would easily go for around £200 a year ago, now I'm struggling to shift at £135!
Good news is that we finally getting some WR glass to accompany the bodies
Though I gotta say, it is surprising how well K-5 holds it's price when brand new K-30 is available for £300 as well.
Pentax K-5 and co.
Posted 07/03/2014 - 20:46
Link
I also surprised about Sigma 50-150, I purchased one last year for £425.
Bodies: K3 (Gunmetal Limited Edition) & K30
Pentax lenses: DA 18-250mm,FA 50 1.4,, DA 35mm F2.4
Sigma lenses: 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 DC Macro,24mm 2.8 Superwide II AF, 50mm 2.8 Macro,50-150mm f2.8 DC EX HSMII , 70-200 2.8 EX APO
Falcon 8mm Fish eye + Old manual lenses
Flashes: Pentax 360 fgz, Metz 48 Af-1, Pentax Af 280T
Pentax lenses: DA 18-250mm,FA 50 1.4,, DA 35mm F2.4
Sigma lenses: 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 DC Macro,24mm 2.8 Superwide II AF, 50mm 2.8 Macro,50-150mm f2.8 DC EX HSMII , 70-200 2.8 EX APO
Falcon 8mm Fish eye + Old manual lenses
Flashes: Pentax 360 fgz, Metz 48 Af-1, Pentax Af 280T
Posted 07/03/2014 - 21:46
Link
Could be a general fall in interest in photography, my recent swap to nikon was certsinly a lot less painless than i thought. I was aiming to get all third party lenses to start of with but managed to buy all nikon lenses used but similar prices to third party.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 07/03/2014 - 22:02
Link
cabstar wrote:
Could be a general fall in interest in photography, my recent swap to nikon was certsinly a lot less painless than i thought. I was aiming to get all third party lenses to start of with but managed to buy all nikon lenses used but similar prices to third party.
Or maybe the Four Thirds systems have had a bigger impact than first thought. I know it hasn't taken off as well as they hoped but I often see posts from people on other forums moving to "something lighter"Could be a general fall in interest in photography, my recent swap to nikon was certsinly a lot less painless than i thought. I was aiming to get all third party lenses to start of with but managed to buy all nikon lenses used but similar prices to third party.
I picked up a Canon 24-105mm L f4 the other night on Ebay for £370 ... brand new out of a 5D MKIII kit. I was looking for one last year and they were fetching nearly £600 used.
Posted 08/03/2014 - 10:38
Link
I've noticed the significant, gradual drop in prices (Pentax speaking) and interest over the last few months too.
Some specifics are easier to explain, F and FA 50/1.7's prices have been affected by the price drop on the DA 50/1.8, and the DA 35/2.4 has probably had a similar impact on primes between 28 and 40. The introduction of the HD versions of the Limited lenses seems to have reduced the saleability of "ordinary" DA Limiteds - there have certainly been some bargain prices around lately.
Generally speaking I've found that M series lenses are the cheapest - 24, 28, 35, 50, 135, 200 have all been priced at half to two thirds of K or A prices for quite a long time. The A series prices started to drop a couple of years ago - the most common lenses such as the 50/1.7 and 28/2.8 can now often be seen for around half of what they were 2 -3 years ago.
The K series prices are more variable, they are becoming rarer and I think that as more and more Pentax users appreciate the quality and build they are being held onto by more people. A few years ago the 28's, 35's and 55's could be found for very low prices, but they have crept up and up, but may now be starting to drop (particularly the 55's).
As some of you will have noticed I buy, use, and sell, quite a lot of lenses - it's a great way to learn which lenses you shouldn't have sold - it's always been a "swings and roundabouts" thing, sometimes I make a loss, sometimes a profit and often break-even, but over the last year I have made losses on far more lenses than ever before
Please note these are only my personal observations - I'm sure that not everything I've said is true for all of us, it's just my view of what has been happening
Some specifics are easier to explain, F and FA 50/1.7's prices have been affected by the price drop on the DA 50/1.8, and the DA 35/2.4 has probably had a similar impact on primes between 28 and 40. The introduction of the HD versions of the Limited lenses seems to have reduced the saleability of "ordinary" DA Limiteds - there have certainly been some bargain prices around lately.
Generally speaking I've found that M series lenses are the cheapest - 24, 28, 35, 50, 135, 200 have all been priced at half to two thirds of K or A prices for quite a long time. The A series prices started to drop a couple of years ago - the most common lenses such as the 50/1.7 and 28/2.8 can now often be seen for around half of what they were 2 -3 years ago.
The K series prices are more variable, they are becoming rarer and I think that as more and more Pentax users appreciate the quality and build they are being held onto by more people. A few years ago the 28's, 35's and 55's could be found for very low prices, but they have crept up and up, but may now be starting to drop (particularly the 55's).
As some of you will have noticed I buy, use, and sell, quite a lot of lenses - it's a great way to learn which lenses you shouldn't have sold - it's always been a "swings and roundabouts" thing, sometimes I make a loss, sometimes a profit and often break-even, but over the last year I have made losses on far more lenses than ever before
Please note these are only my personal observations - I'm sure that not everything I've said is true for all of us, it's just my view of what has been happening
LennyBloke
Posted 08/03/2014 - 11:04
Link
I frequently trawl the adds looking for bargains and have also noticed the current downturn in prices particularly on lenses. It's definitely a buyers market at the moment.
There's a guy on gumtree who currently has a K 30 f2.8 and a K 50 f1.2 selling at £169.00 & £269.00 respectively, both described as mint but with no takers. Who would have thought!!!...
There's a guy on gumtree who currently has a K 30 f2.8 and a K 50 f1.2 selling at £169.00 & £269.00 respectively, both described as mint but with no takers. Who would have thought!!!...
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)
What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)
What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Posted 08/03/2014 - 11:30
Link
The lenses have made inroads, the 35mm f2.4 and 50mm f1.8 have reduced the prices for the older 2.0 and 1.7s.
I would have pretty much had to spend 3x as much for the older 2nd hand version of these a couple of years ago.
I would have pretty much had to spend 3x as much for the older 2nd hand version of these a couple of years ago.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 08/03/2014 - 22:43
Link
Aleks1298 wrote:
Hey, DA 55-300 would easily go for around £200 a year ago, now I'm struggling to shift at £135!
Ha, I've had my eye on that for a while Hey, DA 55-300 would easily go for around £200 a year ago, now I'm struggling to shift at £135!
There has been a lot of movement in the model lineup from Ricoh/Pentax lately, and a lot of deals along with that.
Perhaps many have their base kit established now? I'm now looking for a few quite specific lenses only for instance, such as the Samyang 14mm. the quality and price of the da 50mm and 35mm current products has really had an impact also, and they are autofocus capable also obviously..
Posted 08/03/2014 - 22:55
Link
Defragged wrote:
I frequently trawl the adds looking for bargains and have also noticed the current downturn in prices particularly on lenses. It's definitely a buyers market at the moment.
There's a guy on gumtree who currently has a K 30 f2.8 and a K 50 f1.2 selling at £169.00 & £269.00 respectively, both described as mint but with no takers. Who would have thought!!!...
Buy them then I frequently trawl the adds looking for bargains and have also noticed the current downturn in prices particularly on lenses. It's definitely a buyers market at the moment.
There's a guy on gumtree who currently has a K 30 f2.8 and a K 50 f1.2 selling at £169.00 & £269.00 respectively, both described as mint but with no takers. Who would have thought!!!...
I only paid £250 for my A50/1.2 but it wasn't mint.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 09/03/2014 - 20:41
Link
K30s were certainly selling for much more than that not all that long ago. The price of old manual glass shot up about four years ago. As a buyer who rarely sells, I'm glad the prices are coming back down again! K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


13627 posts
18 years
Hythe,
Hampshire UK
This isn't a Pentax thing either, I have seen the same with Canon lenses.
Just a general observation