Upgrading to the K3

python118

Link Posted 22/11/2015 - 20:01
Hi all, took the new camera out yesterday morning am well pleased with it could not get over how quiet the shutter was the images are sharper then the Kr. I feel like i have done the dirty on my older camera but hope i will still use it as well. The things i do not like about the k3 is where the info is in a small screen on top of camera and is small compared to my kr which is viewed from lcd screen, am looking forward to using more. I feel like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment.

Regards Dave

wvbarnes

Link Posted 22/11/2015 - 21:42
Hi Dave, enable the status screen if you want big bold info on back LCD as well as the top. The point of the top screen on pro level cameras is that it uses minimal power and saves you using the battery hungry LCD. I recently did a 900 shot wedding on one battery. The K3 like the K5 before it has a very quiet shutter helped no doubt by the magnesium alloy casing. The sensor clean is better and very quiet too.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/11/2015 - 10:58
I moved to a K3 from a K200D in January and I love it. Best digital camera I've ever used.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

python118

Link Posted 24/11/2015 - 09:21
wvbarnes wrote:
Hi Dave, enable the status screen if you want big bold info on back LCD as well as the top. The point of the top screen on pro level cameras is that it uses minimal power and saves you using the battery hungry LCD. I recently did a 900 shot wedding on one battery. The K3 like the K5 before it has a very quiet shutter helped no doubt by the magnesium alloy casing. The sensor clean is better and very quiet too.

Thanks for the info Bill
all the best Dave

tyronet2000

Link Posted 29/11/2015 - 11:41
I moved to a place of safety after mentioning "New Camera" Mrs Snap
Regards
Stan

PPG

fatspider

Link Posted 29/11/2015 - 18:57
tyronet2000 wrote:

Take lots of pictures for her Stan, make sure they come out blurry.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

tyronet2000

Link Posted 29/11/2015 - 18:59
fatspider wrote:
tyronet2000 wrote:

Take lots of pictures for her Stan, make sure they come out blurry.

I've tried that, she just tells me not to drink so much coffee
Regards
Stan

PPG

Martin Shilliday

Link Posted 29/12/2015 - 09:50
Just upgraded to the K3 II from the K10D as a result of the recent deal @ SRS. I now have to get used to a battery grip which I never had considered having before which is strange. Any tips on what new functions I need to discover will be most welcome.
Pentax K3 II
DA 55-300
DA 16-45
DAL 50 1.8
Pentax Optio compact
Pentax ME Super 35mm SLR

Chrism8

Link Posted 29/12/2015 - 10:06
I use mine only to have a better grip of the camera, its good for portraits as the shutter release is then on the top plus a small bonus, there's a SD card slot in the battery compartment so no excuse of running out of cards
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

tyronet2000

Link Posted 29/12/2015 - 10:07
Longing to give the K-3 a good run out but not been able to because of weather and arthritis. Pain killers starting to work and weather better so should be ok for the Ne Year. Looking forward to getting hint and tips from other members as to settings. At the moment just have almost the same settings at the K-5IIs which sort of defeats the purpose All the Best for 2016
Regards
Stan

PPG

wvbarnes

Link Posted 29/12/2015 - 13:45
Wrap up warm Stan. I've found the electronic AF switching to be the only major change in usage. I use TAV mostly with ISO range preset to suit conditions. I find the K3 underexposes a bit but i like to use centre weighted metering. If you like to work from jpegs then do use the optional Ricoh inspired Multi Auto White Balance - much better but not default. You can crop heavily for wildlife and still get a good image. I find centre spot AF best with big 300mm and adapter.

tyronet2000 wrote:
Longing to give the K-3 a good run out but not been able to because of weather and arthritis. Pain killers starting to work and weather better so should be ok for the Ne Year. Looking forward to getting hint and tips from other members as to settings. At the moment just have almost the same settings at the K-5IIs which sort of defeats the purpose All the Best for 2016

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.