Upgrading from the 18-55 Kit Lens
Posted 04/08/2013 - 10:38
Link
i use the 18-135 a lot more than I expected, and appreciate its WR construction as well as it fast focusing. Image quality is good but it wouldn't be my first choice for rural landscape shots - the edge performance lets it down a little.
I have the Tamron 17-50 and it's an amazingly sharp lens with the fast aperture also being a great bonus - brilliant value. But if I was starting now, I'd go for the Sigma 17-70 - great walkabout lens with decent close up ability, good build and image quality, and a bit faster than the kit lens. Sadly, I see no reason to pay the extra for the Pentax 17-70.
The Pentax forums website has some interesting tests you might want to look at.
Cheers,
Jon
I have the Tamron 17-50 and it's an amazingly sharp lens with the fast aperture also being a great bonus - brilliant value. But if I was starting now, I'd go for the Sigma 17-70 - great walkabout lens with decent close up ability, good build and image quality, and a bit faster than the kit lens. Sadly, I see no reason to pay the extra for the Pentax 17-70.
The Pentax forums website has some interesting tests you might want to look at.
Cheers,
Jon
Posted 04/08/2013 - 10:46
Link
Test on the sister sites to this one: www.ephotozine.com and www.photodo.com
The 18-135mm WR is my choice on grounds of WR construction and a very impressive overall performance. Agreed that there are technical limitations on fine detail (see the test figures) but the overall visual effect is excellent.
There are several good reasons I see for paying extra for the Pentax lenses - better construction, consistency of ergonomics and colour across the range. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and Pentax lenses all have different characteristics and colour balance, so mixing them means the visual results can be mixed as well.
As regards landscapes, it depends on the type of landscape. Sometimes a telephoto lens is what is needed, sometimes an ultra-wide or anything in between. There are many types of landscapes.
The 18-135mm WR is my choice on grounds of WR construction and a very impressive overall performance. Agreed that there are technical limitations on fine detail (see the test figures) but the overall visual effect is excellent.
There are several good reasons I see for paying extra for the Pentax lenses - better construction, consistency of ergonomics and colour across the range. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and Pentax lenses all have different characteristics and colour balance, so mixing them means the visual results can be mixed as well.
As regards landscapes, it depends on the type of landscape. Sometimes a telephoto lens is what is needed, sometimes an ultra-wide or anything in between. There are many types of landscapes.
Best regards, John
Posted 04/08/2013 - 10:57
Link
My kit currently is a 15mm DA, a 18 -135 DA WR (designed for the K5) as John and the 55 - 300 DA. Around £375 used?
The 15mm DA is extraordinary for landscapes especially its into the sun flare resistance when stopped down and colour rendering. Not cheap but tiny gem you can hide in a pocket.£299 to £399 has been the price range new over time.
The 18 - 135 was over priced at the start and unfairly maligned early on by a couple of reviews. Whisper quiet quick DC motor and lovely feel to use. Only criticism is no marked focus ring for manual, its continuous. High magnification so 40cm possible throughout range making it a good close up. Great value when on offer.
55 - 300DA is often a good landscape lens. Slow aperture at full telephoto, noisy screw drive but the bargain of the Pentax range if you can pick it up sub £230.
I've played with Sigma but not the same as John says.
The 15mm DA is extraordinary for landscapes especially its into the sun flare resistance when stopped down and colour rendering. Not cheap but tiny gem you can hide in a pocket.£299 to £399 has been the price range new over time.
The 18 - 135 was over priced at the start and unfairly maligned early on by a couple of reviews. Whisper quiet quick DC motor and lovely feel to use. Only criticism is no marked focus ring for manual, its continuous. High magnification so 40cm possible throughout range making it a good close up. Great value when on offer.
55 - 300DA is often a good landscape lens. Slow aperture at full telephoto, noisy screw drive but the bargain of the Pentax range if you can pick it up sub £230.
I've played with Sigma but not the same as John says.
Posted 05/08/2013 - 14:29
Link
I had the same quandary earlier this year. Was set on one of the 17-70 lenses but ended up with the Tamron 17-50. So glad i did, it's razor sharp and i could see the benefit over the kit lens straight away. Having F2.8 through the range is a huge bonus. Has a useful 270mm close focus and excellent manual focus. I loved it from the off.
Unfortunately life got in the way and i had to sell it. But just bought another at a good price. Had the chance to buy a Pentax 16-45 or Sigma 17-70 but the good experience of my previous Tammy 17-50 made it an easy decision this time round. They are a bargain too. My first one cost £165 and sold it for £160. Latest one cost £135 plus £10 p+p. That comfortably undercuts not only the comparable secondhand Pentax lenses but also the Sigma too.
Unfortunately life got in the way and i had to sell it. But just bought another at a good price. Had the chance to buy a Pentax 16-45 or Sigma 17-70 but the good experience of my previous Tammy 17-50 made it an easy decision this time round. They are a bargain too. My first one cost £165 and sold it for £160. Latest one cost £135 plus £10 p+p. That comfortably undercuts not only the comparable secondhand Pentax lenses but also the Sigma too.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


850 posts
14 years
Woking
I have in the frame at present the following:- Pentax 17-70 F4, Tamron 17-50 F2.8, the new Sigma 17-70 F 2.8-4 Contemporary. The other possibility that I'd welcome views/advice on is the Pentax 18-135 f3.5-5.6 WR. Anything else missing that I should consider (and is within my budget)?
I have a strong preference to new rather than second hand (no logical reason for this, just emotion), and my budget can just about stretch to £400. If it helps to steer advice, my other lenses are the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron SP90; Tamron 70-300 LD Di; Pentax SMC A 50 F1.7; and an elderly but still excellent Vivitar 28 F2.8.
Thanks in advance
Phil
My Flikr Page link