Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Updates for our system cameras

Algernon
Posted 26/03/2017 - 10:39 Link
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!.........................

I think I'm about to recover the 1 hours sleep lost due to BST

------------------
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 26/03/2017 - 10:41
SteveLedger
Posted 26/03/2017 - 12:21 Link
It's not mandatory reading, Algi.
If the thread bores you, go take some photos instead..
JAK
Posted 26/03/2017 - 12:56 Link
There's another way of looking at this. I purchased a high end Fuji compact a few years ago and as people here are saying they were always updating and changing the firmware, sometimes even changing the function of the buttons. I found it totally confusing for no real reason and I haven't purchased another Fuji since. It seems that they were unable to get the design and firmware right first time.
John K
CMW
Posted 27/03/2017 - 00:00 Link
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
RobL
Posted 27/03/2017 - 07:40 Link
CMW wrote:
For an interesting angle on this issue, see: https://photographylife.com/what-camera-manufacturers-need-to-learn-from-fuji/

Do you get excited by updates to your phone or computer? Really? What a sad life this guy must lead.
SteveLedger
Posted 27/03/2017 - 07:54 Link
He has every right to get excited. You have no right to mock him for it.
RobL
Posted 27/03/2017 - 08:05 Link
SteveLedger wrote:
He has every right to get excited. You have no right to mock him for it.

No, you are right. Poor soul. (Comment referred to article writer not CMW, in case I was interpreted incorrectly).
SteveLedger
Posted 27/03/2017 - 08:13 Link
It's ok, I understood to whom you were referring.
Still, agreeing with me yet then calling him a poor soul isn't very kind either.
An objective opinion about what [his] article (and this thread) discusses would be more relevant than trying to assassinate his character.
Algernon
Posted 27/03/2017 - 08:53 Link
Bloatware comes to cameras

ebay are constantly updating....... every update it gets worse

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
richandfleur
Posted 27/03/2017 - 10:20 Link
The head in the sand, blind defence of Pentax gets a little boring also.

There are areas they do really well, and other aspects they could improve upon -in my opinion.
NeilP
Posted 29/03/2017 - 23:39 Link
richandfleur wrote:
The head in the sand, blind defence of Pentax gets a little boring also.

There are areas they do really well, and other aspects they could improve upon -in my opinion.

Agreed, especially when mentioning specifics against Pentax or pro another brand, comments/post seem to get deleted...
johnriley
Posted 30/03/2017 - 00:28 Link
Actually NeilP, nothing whatsoever has been deleted.
Best regards, John
ilovesaabs
Posted 30/03/2017 - 10:27 Link
Well, consider the poor folks who've bought the Samsung equivalents of the K10D and K20D, S Techwin get bored and then suddenly any support for the GX1, GX10 and GX20 disappears.. Same with the NX cameras...

So if a GX develops a fault even the likes of JP or Asahi Photo are defeated. Camera becomes doorstop.

Also, Pentax's adoption of DNG for raw is a massive plus, unless you have Creative Cloud, support for NEF is limited unless you update. And while we are on Nikon, compatability does suck even though the F-mount is older than K-mount, same with speedlights...

OH has had a XPro 1 and XT1 - the firmware updates are just basically there to make sure the cameras work, I found that neither worked perfectly out of the box.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
SteveLedger
Posted 30/03/2017 - 23:17 Link
Abe_Normal wrote:
If I ran a camera company...

But you don't, right?

Abe_Normal wrote:
I'd have a revenue stream that continues after I sold the camera, though ideally I'd have liked a kick-back on every second-hand sale.

imho, that's an outrageous idea.

Look, you make your choice and you pay your money. It's really just that simple.
Pentax gear satisfies many but some want more or better. Nothing unusual or wrong with that. We're all different, we all have our wants, needs and goals. There's plenty of choice [out there] - no-one is 'locked' into a system, that's a choice/excuse.

How many working professionals use [these] forums? Not many I'm sure. They just buy a tool and get on with it. If the tool no longer satisfies their needs they find one that does. Brand loyalty is probably just for amateurs.
Edited by SteveLedger: 30/03/2017 - 23:18
JAK
Posted 30/03/2017 - 23:44 Link
SteveLedger wrote:
Brand loyalty is probably just for amateurs.

IMHO, brand loyalty revolves around being able to upgrade part of a system rather than having to dump everything and start again, be it a new camera body or better lens. (I realise there are some who seem to be prepared change everything quite regularly though!) Pentax are probably favourites for brand loyalty given their long history of lenses and those of third parties that are still compatible with the newest camera bodies without requiring any modification to anything other than setting a menu option or two. And many actually like to mate ancient lenses with the newest bodies.
John K
Edited by JAK: 30/03/2017 - 23:47

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.