Pentax KP Grip Sizes

derrenhodson

Link Posted 24/02/2017 - 21:54
In the box are three different size grips, small, medium and large. They are attached by an allen bolt and you get the allen key included. I can't see myself changing them, the medium is the most comfy for me so that's the one I'll stick too.

Pentax KP & Ricoh GR11| 15mm, 35mm Macro, 20-40mm & 70mm Limited |DA* 16-50 & 50-135mm|55-300mm WR RE|AF-540 FGZ|D-BG7 Grip

www.derrenhodsonphotography.co.uk

joostdh

Link Posted 24/02/2017 - 22:16
These are the first clear photos I've seen of this so thank you for showing.

The only thing I could imagine is that the large grip would be useful if you mount a (much) heavier lens.

The medium grip does like good for this setup. I'm sure the KP shines with that 35mm Limited Macro!
Pentax K-1| Pentax K-01 | D-FA 28-105mm | FA 28mm F2.8 | FA 35mm F2.0 | FA 43mm F1.9 Ltd | FA 50mm F1.4 | FA 50mm F2.8 Macro | FA* 85mm F1.4 | FA 100mm F2.8 Macro | DA* 200mm F2.8 | Pentax AF 540FGZ

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/02/2017 - 22:21
Nice idea but they could have hidden the screw a bit better. It almost looks like an afterthought.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

stu62

Link Posted 24/02/2017 - 22:22
i dont know if its me just being picky but who ever designed the camera wants shooting

1 if you quiclly glnce at the camera (i know its new) but it looks scuffed or scratched but it is actually when you look its sd and what ever it says under it that would be better a bit bolder

2 the allen bolt looks like a carbunkle easy fix would be a grommet to fit in there

enjoy your new toy

wozfromcov

Link Posted 25/02/2017 - 00:55
looking at the photo's with envious eyes.

derrenhodson

Link Posted 25/02/2017 - 07:28
stu62 wrote:
i dont know if its me just being picky but who ever designed the camera wants shooting

1 if you quickly galnce at the camera (i know its new) but it looks scuffed or scratched but it is actually when you look its sd and what ever it says under it that would be better a bit bolder

2 the allen bolt looks like a carbunkle easy fix would be a grommet to fit in there

enjoy your new toy

1. The camera looks great, might just be the photo.

2. Would have liked a cover of the bolt
Pentax KP & Ricoh GR11| 15mm, 35mm Macro, 20-40mm & 70mm Limited |DA* 16-50 & 50-135mm|55-300mm WR RE|AF-540 FGZ|D-BG7 Grip

www.derrenhodsonphotography.co.uk

McGregNi

Link Posted 25/02/2017 - 08:11
It's a very unusual feature. Well, I haven't read about it on any other modern cameras.

I had assumed it would be an optional extra, but to learn now that the grip pieces (for want of a better term?) are all provided is a big plus. And that's also unusual I think ....?

I feel it's a great idea. How many times have we read on forums of people commenting, both complaining and praising, about the feel of the camera in their hands and the amount of protrusion in that front right area is a major part of that response. So to have the choice right at hand deals with that issue very effectively I think.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

RobL

Link Posted 25/02/2017 - 09:03
I cannot imagine the grip would be changed much so a more integrated look would be more appealing in my view; it doesn't appear to have any mechanical or electrical functions so could they not have clipped on with a bolt in the base?

edin_togger

Link Posted 25/02/2017 - 10:39
I quite like the idea of interchangeable grips on a smaller camera, Fuji do it on their bodies and charge £100 a pop for different sized grips so its good to see a maker recognising that "one size" doesn't necessarily fit all.

The reviews of this looks very good, I had been considering a smaller camera like an X100F but for the price I could buy one of these and stick the 31mm Ltd on it, that would be a great combo!

jules

Link Posted 21/03/2017 - 05:40
We are quite lucky in the UK the camera appears to ship with all three grips, in some countries you only get the one, the grips are basically forty quid, so for once we get a reasonable deal in the UK.
I'm using the larger grip but foumd the medium very comfy too, the little un won't be much use for anything but the APSC limiteds to be honest but that is part of the canera's design ethos anyway.
The large and medium grips feel kind of un "Pentax" at first but they place the thumb and forefinger perfectly around the cluster of control wheels at the top of the camera, a beautiful peice of ergonomic engineering in my book. The large grip offers slightly better balance with the 16-50mm F2.8 but it feels very front heavy still, so if that is a concern to anyone, you better start saving for the battery grip! I can't remember if this was the case with the K3 as well? If the weather dries up at all this week I may actually get out with mine for the first time, I'm determined to make it's first shot be out it in the field and not the usual hundreds of "Test" shots of the cat!
Gotta scratch that itch
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/03/2017 - 06:59
I think I've seen a photo somewhere of the KP with a normal, full-sized 'battery grip', just like the K7/K5/K3/K1 .... does anyone know if that's an optional extra? Fitting a battery grip may of course change the feel of the front grip pieces and alter people's choice there.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 21/03/2017 - 06:59

jules

Link Posted 21/03/2017 - 07:22
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pentax-d-bg7-battery-grip-for-pentax-kp.html

It is however a bit pricey!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

MrB

Link Posted 21/03/2017 - 08:54
Although I have not had the chance to handle a KP yet, intuitively the grip design doesn't look as though it would be as functional as the typical Pentax built-in grip, for example as on the K-5IIs:

Whichever size is fitted, it lacks that almost semi-circular depression into which the second finger nestles to give a good feeling of security when held in the hand.

Perhaps, in practice, this makes little difference, and I suppose one might soon get used to it. Nevertheless, in my opinion it also spoils the aesthetics of the camera, looking like what it actually is - a bolted on extra lump. Presumably it is also the reason why the KP only has room in the body for the short-life battery.

Cheers.
Philip
Last Edited by MrB on 21/03/2017 - 09:04

jules

Link Posted 21/03/2017 - 13:35
You arn't wrong here, the large grip does lose you a certain amount of balance but then I do not shoot one handed. However when you cradle the camera and lens two handed it's one of the best I've tried. The top bevel of the grip wraps your fingers beautifully around the three control wheels, this could not be achieved with a grip with the concave "notch" in it.
I would expect a K3 replacement to retain the dial in the grip above the notch ala K1, which for me is a shame as I actually prefer the feel of th KP.
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 21/03/2017 - 13:40

JAK

Link Posted 21/03/2017 - 14:19
How usable is the KP without any of the grips? Any different to a film ME/MX etc?
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.