Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Up close and personal..

LiamD
Posted 09/02/2007 - 18:46 Link
Darn it, I'd just about matched your first one Dan..

OK, zis is vor.. in the nicest possible way of course..
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Daniel Bridge
Posted 09/02/2007 - 18:47 Link
Just to show I've been doing some proper photography today too...

Comment Image

Comment Image

Brian, I'm surprised you haven't had a go yet - what about your 400mm with 10-17 reversed?

Dan
Mongoose
Posted 09/02/2007 - 18:58 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Crazy !
Wouldn't it be easier just to get a microscope?? Say a scanning-electron one
Matt

you mean sorta like this

Comment Image

lol kidding, that isn't a penny at all. It's from my MSci project last year. It's long chain hyrodocarbon molecules on a graphite surface. Scanning Tunneling Microscopes are fun

Dan, I salute you, don't thin I can better that without actually resorting to a microscope (though I did see an Oly microscope camera setup on ebay earlier....)

I tried reversing the 18-55 at 18 on the 80-320 with a 2x converter but the viewfinder is so dark you can't see anything.
Mongoose
Posted 09/02/2007 - 19:00 Link
dear lord Dan that second one is just insane!!!!
LiamD
Posted 09/02/2007 - 20:00 Link
Hi Dan,

absolutely excellent shot.. and for the moment I concede your victory..

I decided I'd had enough this evening when I looked at a rig with two lenses, 2 TCs, extention tubes... and wait for it..

2 loo roll insides, taped together to make a 9" ext tube

I'd actually cut slots for tapers, and used insulation tape for a light sealed join and everything. And while I was doing it, I never thought I was in the slightest bit odd.

Length of rig.. around two feet..

I'm going to go and get ready then get a few beers now.. try and restore what little sanity still remains.

Roger's wife is right.. aren't they all if we were honest.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Rodger Fooks
Posted 09/02/2007 - 20:34 Link
Jude (my wife) says if you spend all that money buying Pentax Shiny Kit why are you joining 2 loo rolls together
She's also got 3 spares in the wheelie bin if you need any more £1.50P&P
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
McBrian
Posted 09/02/2007 - 20:48 Link
Quote:
Brian, I'm surprised you haven't had a go yet - what about your 400mm with 10-17 reversed

HeHeHe!!! your all insane, maybe try and rig something up tommorow (400 + 12-24 reversed + 90mm extension + bellows + 1.7x + 2x ) if the footie is called off, maybe I can borrow one of their 20000KW floodlights so I can see what I'm doing
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Rodger Fooks
Posted 09/02/2007 - 21:00 Link
[quote="McBrian"]
Quote:
HeHeHe!!! your all insane, maybe try and rig something up tommorow (400 + 12-24 reversed + 90mm extension + bellows + 1.7x + 2x )

So that's the meaning of life the universe and everyting.

Did you know the average kitchen roll is 9" long. Join 2 of those together and you have 400+12-24+(23mmx2)+1.7x+2x = an electron microscope or 871.4 (for the matmaticians amongst you
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
McBrian
Posted 09/02/2007 - 21:20 Link
Quote:
Did you know the average kitchen roll is 9" long. Join 2 of those together and you have 400+12-24+(23mmx2)+1.7x+2x = an electron microscope or 871.4 (for the matmaticians amongst you

I'll just have to believe you Rodger, I gave up trying to do the calculation, been a long tyring week

BTW what will be the minimum focusing distance : ...........................

Only kidding
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Mannesty
Posted 09/02/2007 - 21:36 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Bearing in mind it's taken me about 30 minutes to focus the thing.Dan

Now the next part of this challenge ought to be to get AF working
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Rodger Fooks
Posted 09/02/2007 - 21:41 Link
AF is easy - you just look through the little piece of glass at the back of the camera and adjust the focus automatically using your eyes
Galoot
Posted 09/02/2007 - 23:10 Link
I'll give it a go, could one of you guys or gals send me a 'penny' ?

I'll re-phrase that, could you ALL send me a 'penny'

Happy to keep up the Scottish myths . . . . . . .
Daniel Bridge
Posted 09/02/2007 - 23:14 Link
"AF is easy - you just look through the little piece of glass at the back of the camera and adjust the focus automatically using your eyes"

More like:

Take a picture.
Look at LCD.
See blur.
Move coin.
Repeat ad infinitum.

That's why I stopped when I did - don't think I didn't contemplate finding another teleconvertor and those other three tubes. Fortunately, the wife was at the station so I had to stop.

Dan
Galoot
Posted 09/02/2007 - 23:16 Link
Forgot to mention, nice pics Daniel.
I'm still looking for that Sigma 105 you use with devastating effect.
Can't find a decent 2nd-hand version, so might try SRS for a NEW one. Chris is it, at SRS?
Daniel Bridge
Posted 09/02/2007 - 23:26 Link
Hi Galoot,

Thanks for that, had a good morning in my local woods, the fog disappeared but it left droplets on the few bits of cobweb I could find. The shot of the burrs was actually with my 50-200 Pentax, but I most definitely used the Sigma for the bud.

And yes it is Chris at SRS. Ffordes up your way had a Tamron 90mm last week, don't know if they still have or what it's like, but they always get good reviews. If you're in Inverness, it might be worth popping in.

Dan

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.