Unscientific K-7 vs K-5 Question.
This topic has a poll - login to enter
Posted 21/05/2012 - 22:14
Link
johnc765 wrote:
Both would be better than what I have now, basically faster and they won't go through AA batteries like water in a paper bag as they have battery packs.
I have the K-x and also K-5, a good friend of mine takes beautiful shots with both of these cameras and also with the K-7 (he has lots of cameras)! The K-x is a brilliant camera and capable of taking superb images. The K-5 is better by some margin and if (a) you can stretch to it budget wise and (b) you don't wish to wait for the K-30, I would definitely go for the K-5. Its performance in all conditions is something to behold and much better than the K-7 in poor light.Both would be better than what I have now, basically faster and they won't go through AA batteries like water in a paper bag as they have battery packs.
I'm puzzled by your statement about the K-x and batteries though. What batteries are you using? I can get about 400 shots per charge on my K-x using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. That's almost as good as my K-5 on the Lithium-Ion original battery. Eneloops are only around £7 per set of 4 from Amazon and are worth every penny.
Regards
David
Posted 21/05/2012 - 22:43
Link
I have the Kx and upgraded to the K5 18-135 and have never picked up the Kx since.
just go for it as there will always be a newer camera coming out and if you always wait you will never buy anything.
just go for it as there will always be a newer camera coming out and if you always wait you will never buy anything.
Posted 21/05/2012 - 23:04
Link
I have a K-7 and I would recommend the K-5 ... or as MikeP says wait to see what the K-30 costs before you commit.
Posted 22/05/2012 - 00:25
Link
I did this exercise 12 months ago.. Bought a K-7 as at that time the K5 was a little too expensive for me...regretted it ever since..
Posted 22/05/2012 - 00:34
Link
...K-5
Posted 22/05/2012 - 04:46
Link
stub wrote:
I did this exercise 12 months ago.. Bought a K-7 as at that time the K5 was a little too expensive for me...regretted it ever since..
Exactly what i am trying to avoid stubI did this exercise 12 months ago.. Bought a K-7 as at that time the K5 was a little too expensive for me...regretted it ever since..
cheers chaps, no science and its sorted...... see what the K-30 retails for, then if the cost makes me laugh buy the K-5.
you are all true stars
Quote:
I'm puzzled by your statement about the K-x and batteries though. What batteries are you using? I can get about 400 shots per charge on my K-x using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. That's almost as good as my K-5 on the Lithium-Ion original battery. Eneloops are only around £7 per set of 4 from Amazon and are worth every penny.
I get about the same. but it seems my batteries are always on charge NiMh aa
I'm puzzled by your statement about the K-x and batteries though. What batteries are you using? I can get about 400 shots per charge on my K-x using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. That's almost as good as my K-5 on the Lithium-Ion original battery. Eneloops are only around £7 per set of 4 from Amazon and are worth every penny.
Posted 22/05/2012 - 14:09
Link
Must admit I would seriously think about buying the K-30 over the K-5 even if they are the same price.
It seems you loose the top LCD (which would be a pain) but gain 11 extra weather seals, focus peeking, an updated sensor and superior AF.
As I type that I think no contest actually .. want to buy a low mileage K-5?
It seems you loose the top LCD (which would be a pain) but gain 11 extra weather seals, focus peeking, an updated sensor and superior AF.
As I type that I think no contest actually .. want to buy a low mileage K-5?
Posted 22/05/2012 - 14:47
Link
Only thing that concerns me about the k-30 is the 6fps is only in jpeg mode and the buffer can only hold 8 raw images. if I remember correctly this was the same when the k-5 was launched but fixed in a firmware release???
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 22/05/2012 - 20:07
Link
been looking at the K-30 ......... not so sure, may trade in my K-x for a new K-5 and get the cashback. I have come across problems with buying new gear before when its just been released, then the manufacturer waits on the consumer to tell them what needs fixing or tweaking. Then 12 months later they fix it.
If the current conversion rate continues as is, it would be worth buying a K-30 from the States paying for shipping and import duty and still be £40+ better off, that is if the software is the same of course.
If the current conversion rate continues as is, it would be worth buying a K-30 from the States paying for shipping and import duty and still be £40+ better off, that is if the software is the same of course.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


61 posts
14 years
Both would be better than what I have now, basically faster and they won't go through AA batteries like water in a paper bag as they have battery packs.