unable to load images to computer

Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 01:35 Link
DS user
I can no longer upload images to my computer directly from my camera. I bought a new lead but still no luck. I've since bought a card reader, but would prefer to use the camera direct. Anyone had the same problem. Thanks in anticipation.

Tony
Melbourne
johnriley
Posted 15/08/2005 - 08:20 Link
I'm not sure why you would prefer to use the camera, because the transfer rate will be slower and there is the danger that the batteries will fail and the data could be corrupted.

The card reader is faster and more reliable. I would create a folder to hold the files, open My Computer and drag the folder on the card into the folder in My Documents. The original files, unchanged, will then be transferred into the computer, en masse. They will still also be on the card, but can be removed by formatting in the camera, after you have made a backup CD of the folder on the computer.

I label my folders as CF1, CF2 or SD1, SD2, etc.

That way you should never lose any pictures, unless you are very, very unlucky!
Best regards, John
Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 08:32 Link
Hello Tony,

It is hard to guess what may be going wrong without a bit more information. Can you say more about the procedure you are following and any error messages you get?

I agree with what John has said for the best way to transfer the files but I don’t FORMAT the card in the camera afterwards. I view the images them press the delete button twice to DELETE ALL which it does very quickly.

Dave.
Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 09:27 Link
Thanks for your replies. My preference for using the camera direct to the computer is ease of use. I don't have to take the card out and then replace it after using the card in a reader. I've actually left the card in the reader and then gone off to take photos; not easy to take photos without a card! I've since bought a second card to guard against this happening again. I appreciate the advantages of the reader, but I'd still like to have the camera working the way it should. The procedure I follow is fine, but the camera does not switch to the USB view when I connect the camera to the computer. There are 3 options for transfer in setup but none of them work. I'll take the camera to have it looked at, but I wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

Cheers
Tony
Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 12:09 Link
I agree Tony, using the cable direct to the camera is just a good as using a card reader. My only concern is that the very small USB socket on the camera seems fragile and I wonder how long it will last. Having said that, I don’t suppose it does the SD cards much good taking them in and out all the time and there is always the chance they could get zapped by static.

Back to your problem. I am guessing here but if your camera does not display PC on the LCD display when you have it plugged into your PC’s USB port then the camera is not detecting the PC. You say you have changed the cable so that rules that out. This is where the guess comes in – I suspect the camera knows it is connected when it finds the 5V supply from the PC on it’s USB port. Are you sure your PC USB is working? They are fused on some PC’s. I suggest you try something else on it and if you have something that takes power from the USB that would be the best thing to try. If the USB port is okay then it could be the socket on the camera and they do look very fragile! Check to see if you can see any bent contacts or signs of damage.

Hope this helps,
Dave.
Anonymous
Posted 15/08/2005 - 22:21 Link
By far the easiest way to transfer files is to use a batch file, which sits on the desktop, and works when you click on it.

Move E:dcim100pentx*.* Cics

will transfer your files from the card reader (assuming it is E on your system) to an existing folder called Pics on the C drive.

You can see it happening on screen. When the transfer is complete, the pictures are deleted from the card.

To create a batch file, use any text editor (Word, Wordpad, Notepad), tap in the text I have given above, and save the file to the desktop as a text file (eg: Movepics.txt) .

Then rename the file to Movepics.bat. When you click on it, it will transfer any files it finds on the card to the pc.

Simple.

George
johnriley
Posted 15/08/2005 - 23:14 Link
The reason I choose to copy the files across rather than move them is a belt and braces approach to ensure the transfer is OK before the images are deleted from the card. personally I feel happier not deleting anything until a CD backup is made as well.

In a similar way, I try not to use a portable storage device when on holiday, preferring where possible to carry enough cards instead. If the device failed, then all the images could be lost. However, if I run out of cards that is another matter!
Best regards, John
Anonymous
Posted 16/08/2005 - 11:37 Link
John,

I would agree that your method (backing up before deleting from card) is very safe, but the problem with "belt and braces" is that you have to buy both. I don't have enough cards.

G
Anonymous
Posted 17/08/2005 - 04:38 Link
Thanks again for the responses to my query. As always I learnt some new techniques, but it appears I'm the only one with this particular problem. Last night when I connected the camera to my laptop the laptop closed down completely. This doesn't occur with any other usb device. Anyway, I'm off to the repair shop before the warrenty runs out.

One other thought. How important is it to close the usb device before disconnecting the lead?

cheers
Tony
Melbourne
George Lazarette
Posted 19/08/2005 - 21:08 Link
Older versions of Windows, like Win2k, tend to crash if you don't close the device. XP behaves better. This is another piece of Microsoft stupidity - USB was designed to be hot-swappable.

George

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo