Two IR shots - two treatments
Posted 29/07/2011 - 17:44
Link
The colour one is very interesting; I don't think you've quite nailed the colour conversion but I would love to see more experimentation along the same lines. Would it be worth fiddling with the WB, or perhaps the colour balance, after the conversion?
Posted 29/07/2011 - 17:51
Link
The colours are there, but not in the right places It is an experiment, and I think it will work better on things that show up better in IR. Getting the sky reasonably lifelike renders the wheat all sorts of odd colours
Might be easier to simply add colour afterwards... I'll certainly try some more.
Might be easier to simply add colour afterwards... I'll certainly try some more.
Posted 29/07/2011 - 19:55
Link
Hi.
I prefer shot No 2, with the colour removed, but I think the first one is the better viewpoint, but maybe without colour.
Takes me back to school summer holidays, (misspent childhood on the local farm). That was a long time ago. So must be good images to stir those memories.
Take care.
Chris R.
I prefer shot No 2, with the colour removed, but I think the first one is the better viewpoint, but maybe without colour.
Takes me back to school summer holidays, (misspent childhood on the local farm). That was a long time ago. So must be good images to stir those memories.
Take care.
Chris R.
Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Posted 29/07/2011 - 20:32
Link
I like no 2, a great high contrast shot, but I don't understand why you'd take an IR picture then try & get the colours to look normal.
The effect you've ended up with in no 1 makes me think HDR.
Neither shot particularly looks like IR, mainly because they contain little that shows classic IR effects.
IR causes green plants show very pale, but ripe corn has not shown this so much, the high cloud contrast is a IR effect but is often seen via polarisers or red filters (in B&W shots)
Perhaps the ultra sharp images also detract from the IR feel I'm used to, my IR shots are usually somewhat soft.
The effect you've ended up with in no 1 makes me think HDR.
Neither shot particularly looks like IR, mainly because they contain little that shows classic IR effects.
IR causes green plants show very pale, but ripe corn has not shown this so much, the high cloud contrast is a IR effect but is often seen via polarisers or red filters (in B&W shots)
Perhaps the ultra sharp images also detract from the IR feel I'm used to, my IR shots are usually somewhat soft.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
Posted 29/07/2011 - 20:53
Link
Well, the attempt at colour channel swapping was an experiment. Since this is with an R72 filter there is false colour, so I wanted to use it. However, it is still false colour no matter how much PP is done...
Here's the first one with the colour removed - much more in my comfort zone of PP:

The sharpness is because I'm boosting the contrast on details, it can be a bit lost otherwise given that this is a 6MP camera. I've tried recapturing the grainy halation effect of film IR but haven't got the hang of it yet - except with film of course
Here's the first one with the colour removed - much more in my comfort zone of PP:

The sharpness is because I'm boosting the contrast on details, it can be a bit lost otherwise given that this is a 6MP camera. I've tried recapturing the grainy halation effect of film IR but haven't got the hang of it yet - except with film of course
Posted 30/07/2011 - 08:48
Link
Hi.
Thanks for posting that image with colour removed, that is now the image for me, I feel I am there at the edge of the field.
Take care
Chris R.
Thanks for posting that image with colour removed, that is now the image for me, I feel I am there at the edge of the field.
Take care
Chris R.
Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


574 posts
19 years
Hampshire,
UK
Removing the colour as I usually do gives this one, from the exact same position but standing rather than crouching and composed for a square crop:
Both Sigma 10-20 at 10mm, 1/180th at f/8, ISO 200.
Also on 500px