Two interesting articles ...
Posted 02/08/2013 - 19:25
Link
Well, I wouldn`t part with my K5 or K30 and lens collection but! I like to share and I particularly like a pivoting screen. So I bought an X5 as a take to work point and shoot and it`s not bad at all but I want quick share and nothing I have will do that. Sadly Pentax don`t seem to be moving along that route either so I now have Samsung NX300 with a collection of lenses and boy oh boy does that thing work fast. Connecting to my smart phone is almost instant too so I can email pix to my work colleagues within seconds from anywhere I can receive a phone signal. I also have an adaptor to fit my K mounts.
Enjoy life
Posted 02/08/2013 - 20:00
Link
Since buying my MX-1 I've hardly used my K-5, the MX-1 covers all of my 'casual' shooting (I usually have the DA 17-70 on the K-5 and the MX-1 basically covers this range). I haven't been on any 'photo trips' since though and obviously would use the K-5 for those. In fact in the last two months I've shot my 67 more than the K-5.
Phones & tablets with cameras are popular because you can share your photos instantly, it's more about convenience than quality. low-mid range cameras will probably disappear, leaving the higher end ones for those who care about quality and handling or those that have a USP (waterproof etc...).
I don't understand the adapters though, especially with older manual focus lenses (i.e. Takumars on Sony Nex's). Why buy a sleek, super small interchangeable lens mirrorless camera and whack a big/heavy manual everything lens on it? Then you might as well be carrying a DSLR!
EDIT: I meant to say that you first whack on an (often bulky) adapter, then whack a mis-matched lens onto that.
John.
Phones & tablets with cameras are popular because you can share your photos instantly, it's more about convenience than quality. low-mid range cameras will probably disappear, leaving the higher end ones for those who care about quality and handling or those that have a USP (waterproof etc...).
I don't understand the adapters though, especially with older manual focus lenses (i.e. Takumars on Sony Nex's). Why buy a sleek, super small interchangeable lens mirrorless camera and whack a big/heavy manual everything lens on it? Then you might as well be carrying a DSLR!
EDIT: I meant to say that you first whack on an (often bulky) adapter, then whack a mis-matched lens onto that.
John.
Posted 02/08/2013 - 20:04
Link
Since owning the k-01 i take it with me everywhere. Wth the 35mm 2.4 its an awesome combination. Why take out the big stuff when you have that kind of quality in a smaller form
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 02/08/2013 - 20:14
Link
I bought an adaptor (new boxed for £10)so I can fit my K mounts. Not because I want too all of the time. Just gives an option. I don`t agree about poorer quality. I can`t believe I bought the Samsung but having held, tried and connected I am amazed at the IQ and colour rendition. Having said that though I would still very much like a K5IIs.
Enjoy life
Posted 02/08/2013 - 20:46
Link
cabstar wrote:
Since owning the k-01 i take it with me everywhere. Wth the 35mm 2.4 its an awesome combination. Why take out the big stuff when you have that kind of quality in a smaller form
I was considering the K-01, but not having had the opportunity to actually see, let alone handle, one, I've only been able go off the camera size comparison sites and it looked bigger than the K-30? Most reviews seem to include the word 'brick' somewhere in the description......
Since owning the k-01 i take it with me everywhere. Wth the 35mm 2.4 its an awesome combination. Why take out the big stuff when you have that kind of quality in a smaller form
Posted 02/08/2013 - 20:50
Link
cedricd wrote:
I bought an adaptor (new boxed for £10)so I can fit my K mounts. Not because I want too all of the time. Just gives an option. I don`t agree about poorer quality. I can`t believe I bought the Samsung but having held, tried and connected I am amazed at the IQ and colour rendition. Having said that though I would still very much like a K5IIs.
Hi cedricd,I bought an adaptor (new boxed for £10)so I can fit my K mounts. Not because I want too all of the time. Just gives an option. I don`t agree about poorer quality. I can`t believe I bought the Samsung but having held, tried and connected I am amazed at the IQ and colour rendition. Having said that though I would still very much like a K5IIs.
It's convenient if you have already have a K and/or M42 glass collection, and obviously they are great lenses. I just can't see a newbie with a mirrorless CSC getting on well with an M42 Takumar. I've seen various posts on the 'net asking why someone's new Takumar won't mount on their new M42 adapter - only to discover it's a K mount Takumar...
John.
Posted 02/08/2013 - 20:51
Link
The K-01 is just a different shape to the K-30, squared off rather than sculpted. It's a nice camera though and some bulk is reduced by not having the pentaprism.
It's not a massive difference though with a lens mounted.
It's not a massive difference though with a lens mounted.
Best regards, John
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7671 posts
17 years
Smegland
I'd never be without a DSLR and preferably two, but it's impractical to lug that much kit around with you all the time and if you can still get high quality shots with a compact or Mobile phone at those other times then why not?
Photo ops can appear at anytime
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283