Two Door Cinema Club Gig

timothyw

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 13:44
Found myself called upon at the last minute to take some photos at a gig in the Playboy club last week. Band is Two Door Cinema Club. Comments and critique welcome!

Shots are with K-5, Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Full set on Flickr here.

Blueforever

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 14:50
Looks like the lighting is very low. Great try..
Looked at the full set on flickr and liked K5TW0016 which the lighting is different,
i wonder if the k5 ii would have produced better under the lighting conditions.
Last Edited by Blueforever on 28/01/2013 - 14:51

timothyw

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 16:21
Yeah, not a lot of light to play with unfortunately- certainly a day when I might have been glad of the K-5 II having the better low light AF, although I don't think the actual low light sensor performance has improved any?

K5TW0016 is this one:

This was one of the few I actually took with the flash - I'm not sure any of the others made the cull. I was using my AF 360 with a stofen omnibounce on it to soften it a bit, I was having a real struggle balancing the flash with what little ambient light there was.
I had to really push the colour temperature in post to get the shot looking right.

I think I'd like the shot a lot more if the guy in the pink didn't appear to be mid blink/squint- possibly reacting to the preflash as I was very close to the stage.

I didn't want to push my luck so turned the flash off once I was fairly confident I had a usable flash shot.

cabstar

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 23:29
Photographed two door cinema club a few times and he is an eyes closed singer. Looks like a reslly bad combination of tungsten front lighting and led rear lighting, nasty situation to shoot in. You did the right thing getting a few fkash shots, they certainly look a lot better than the non flashed shots.

I think in the bottom shot you could have moved slightly to the right so the heads where in front of the distracting rear lights then you could have placed a black spot over the remaining light to make it less distracting.

Good work though under difficult conditions, in these situations i wait until the third song and get the flash on, set to f/4 and flash set to manual 1/128 power which usually adds just enough fill to the subject and to not lighten up the background to much.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

cabstar

Link Posted 28/01/2013 - 23:37
Just had a look at the flickr set and you need to be a little more ruthless on your final edit choice, like the photos above shots 2, 3 & 5 are all very similar, shot two being the best, 1 & 5 need culling as when you flick through a set similar images quickly lose interest for the viewer and look amateurish. Posting your very best work comes across as more professional and decisive.

Hope this helps
Concert photography

Frogfish

Link Posted 29/01/2013 - 08:50
The man has spoken (Cabstar)

Had it been me every shot would have been with flash though (it seems like both the club and band permitted it) as the conditions look really really tough and although not as natural your shots would have been clean and sharp and knowing that you could have turned your attention to composition and distractions without the worry of your camera settings and perpetual chimping (if you are like me).
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

timothyw

Link Posted 29/01/2013 - 10:01
Good tips guys

I think the manual flash at 1/128 is a very sound idea and something I ought have tried. I always drop to manual on the camera when using the flash, I guess I need to have that little bit more faith to put the flash in manual mode too, then work off the histogram to get the exposure right.

Also good thinking on moving slightly to the right for number 5 - the lights being on the edge of their heads detracts from the photo.

I think 2 & 3 were a tough call for me which one to cull, which is why I've put both up. 3 benefits from someone else's flash going off at the time, which does make it that bit better lit, although it does make it look slightly unusual next to number 2.

I think ruthlessness in the cull is definitely the skill I need to work on- I find it hard to objectively judge which of my shots are the real keepers, and which are the weaker images. Decisiveness is key!

cabstar

Link Posted 29/01/2013 - 15:02
Frogfish wrote:
The man has spoken (Cabstar)

Thanks
Concert photography

Blueforever

Link Posted 12/03/2013 - 16:04
interesting work how would you set flash to 1/128 power as i believe the 360 max is 1/32
or is there a work around?
I think the 540 is max 1/64
cabstar wrote:

Good work though under difficult conditions, in these situations i wait until the third song and get the flash on, set to f/4 and flash set to manual 1/128 power which usually adds just enough fill to the subject and to not lighten up the background to much.

timothyw wrote:
Good tips guys

I think the manual flash at 1/128 is a very sound idea and something I ought have tried. I always drop to manual on the camera when using the flash, I guess I need to have that little bit more faith to put the flash in manual mode too, then work off the histogram to get the exposure right.

Also good thinking on moving slightly to the right for number 5 - the lights being on the edge of their heads detracts from the photo.

I think 2 & 3 were a tough call for me which one to cull, which is why I've put both up. 3 benefits from someone else's flash going off at the time, which does make it that bit better lit, although it does make it look slightly unusual next to number 2.

I think ruthlessness in the cull is definitely the skill I need to work on- I find it hard to objectively judge which of my shots are the real keepers, and which are the weaker images. Decisiveness is key!

timothyw

Link Posted 12/03/2013 - 16:13
Yeah, I realised when I went to check this later that the 360 only goes down to 1/32. I suppose with both the wide angle flipped down and the stofen it might get to a similar level of dimness to that desired (given it's not a particularly powerful flash.)

I then had another event a week or two later where I was frustrated by the lack of swivel with the 360, so when two Metz 50 AF-1 flashes came up on the classifieds shortly after for 190 I pounced.

Now I can just set the metz down to 1/128th, although I haven't had the chance to test it in a gig situation yet.
Last Edited by timothyw on 12/03/2013 - 16:14

Blueforever

Link Posted 12/03/2013 - 16:24
yeah it was just the advise... and thought do all flashguns go that far or better
timothyw wrote:
Yeah, I realised when I went to check this later that the 360 only goes down to 1/32. I suppose with both the wide angle flipped down and the stofen it might get to a similar level of dimness to that desired (given it's not a particularly powerful flash.)

I then had another event a week or two later where I was frustrated by the lack of swivel with the 360, so when two Metz 50 AF-1 flashes came up on the classifieds shortly after for 190 I pounced.

Now I can just set the metz down to 1/128th, although I haven't had the chance to test it in a gig situation yet.

timothyw

Link Posted 12/03/2013 - 17:03
Blueforever just PM'd this and I don't see any reason not to reply in public:
Quote:
Do you think the metz is better then, as i had the af48 and didnt like it at all, so i got a couple of samsung 540, and a pentax 540 , and are happy with them but there only down to 1/64...

Controls-wise, both the Pentax flashes are miles better than the Metz 50 af-1. The Pentax's have a number of dedicated switches to set individual functions, and the display is clearer and more detailed on the Pentax units.

In terms of actual flash features however, the Metz generally beats the Pentax. It's just a lot harder to control the thing (until you get used to it anyway - and even then it's certainly a bit slower to cycle modes etc)

Looking at the metz 50 af-1 vs the Pentax 360 you gain:
Swivel of flash head
Better manual control mode
Flash is more powerful

You lose:
Auto (aka Thyristor) mode - a bit redundant with PTTL mode taking over now

Against the Pentax 540 all you are really gaining is the better manual control mode.

Personally, for years I've wanted to get a Metz 58 af-1 or af-2 which to me seems to be the best camera mount flash out there - it wins on features, and having played with one the user interface is a bit clearer and more intuitive than that on the 50 af-1 (and presumably 48 ) however, it is a lot of money for me to spend as an occasional flash photographer.

I'd suggest if Manual mode is important to you that you look at replacing one of your 540's with a Metz 58.
Last Edited by timothyw on 12/03/2013 - 17:03
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.