TVhyper and file format - help!

RobL

Link Posted 26/11/2016 - 20:56
Just going through some interiors photos I took yesterday on a K-1. All my RAW photos to date are default .dng files but for some reason the last three are .pef files. As my flash batteries had died I switched from Manual to (as I thought) TAV, but the data is showing TVhyper (?) and PEF. I cannot find any reference to TVhyper in the manual or menu, and the only RAW file reference in the menu is to a .dng file. Anyone know what is going on?

johnriley

Link Posted 26/11/2016 - 22:50
TAv is an exposure mode. You set the shutter speed and the camera selects the aperture. However, if the aperture needed goes beyond what's available on the lens, for example we need f/2 and it's only an f/2.8 lens, then "hyper" seems to indicate that the camera will then change the shutter speed to bring correct exposure into the available aperture range.

PEF is the Pentax proprietary RAW format. You can set the camera to record RAW files as DNG or PEF format.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 26/11/2016 - 23:12
Thanks John, but wouldn't the ISO just change? I have tried all sorts of combinations since but cannot get the 'hyper' message again. I started finding about hyper using the AE-L button but that just shows a star and stays a DNG file. I didn't change from DNG to PEF in the middle of the shoot so the camera must have done that at the same time.

pschlute

Link Posted 27/11/2016 - 01:55
TAv mode allows you to set the shutter and aperture to your desired settings and the camera will adjust ISO to give you a correct exposure.

Hyper mode is associated with the Program mode. In P mode you can turn either front or rear wheel to switch from Program mode to Tv or Av mode (Hyper). If the data shows as Tv HYPER, you switched into Tv mode from P by turning the front wheel..
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 27/11/2016 - 01:56

RobL

Link Posted 27/11/2016 - 07:33
pschlute wrote:
TAv mode allows you to set the shutter and aperture to your desired settings and the camera will adjust ISO to give you a correct exposure.

Hyper mode is associated with the Program mode. In P mode you can turn either front or rear wheel to switch from Program mode to Tv or Av mode (Hyper). If the data shows as Tv HYPER, you switched into Tv mode from P by turning the front wheel..

Ah that's it! That still retains the .dng file setting though. I recall briefly demonstrating TAV mode and the green button function to a pro photographer who was there at the same time so I must inadvertently switched to P mode which I have never normally use. Thanks for clearing that up.
Last Edited by RobL on 27/11/2016 - 07:34
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.