Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Trying to be Imaginative

PentaxBabe
Posted 22/08/2009 - 11:18 Link
Had a go this morning - trying to be imaginative in my shots - not sure if I am suceeding

I like the first one, but wish the bee had turned round. The second two I feel would make good computer wallpaper or screensavers Interested in your views I would mind if you say they are rubbish I am just playing around

Comment Image

I know that there is some dead plant material runing these shots but I haven't got time now to try again. But will do later
Comment Image

Comment Image
greynolds999
Posted 22/08/2009 - 13:41 Link
I really like No1, but wonder if it would look better in landscape? I do feel the bee(?) really needs to be in focus, even if it is turning away.

But I think that in terms of experimenting No1 in particular is a great perspective and well worth pursuing. Nice.
PentaxBabe
Posted 22/08/2009 - 14:22 Link
Cheers,

will go and have another play
organicimagery
Posted 22/08/2009 - 15:12 Link
Sorry to be harsh but none of the images do it for me, is it a macro lens ? the first image would be better in landscape and maby putting the background in black and white, adding more definition and contract to the overall shot
PentaxBabe
Posted 22/08/2009 - 16:23 Link
Don't worry about being harsh - like I said I was only messing around. No it wasn't a macro lens but a manual 50mm. I was just playing around trying a couple of things.
PeteL
Posted 22/08/2009 - 17:16 Link
Its always good to try out new things, If you enjoy it then you are likely to try it again! The first shot i like very much, If the Bee had been a little further up in the zone of focus then it would be a great shot, Though purists at this kind of photography would probably say the Bee ought to face towards the Camera that would not concern me as long as the overall shot works.
The other two shots i find that the flowers are competing for attention, There really should be one single element to hold the eye for longer than the rest. That might be by differential focus or by use of shape, size, colour etc,etc.
Good effort!

Regards - Pete
PentaxBabe
Posted 22/08/2009 - 20:34 Link
I thought I would have a go at seeing what normally colourful subjects look like in B&W. One for PaulyRichard to C&C on I think

Comment Image
greynolds999
Posted 22/08/2009 - 20:51 Link
I really like this concept. The execution is good but not perfect. It may just be that the original is not sharp enough and I think the lines should be straight (ie parallel to the edge of the image).
PentaxBabe
Posted 22/08/2009 - 21:17 Link
Thanks. I can't hange the wood grain but I have had another go using the original but a different section.

Comment Image
Snootchies
Posted 22/08/2009 - 22:33 Link
I definitely like the black and white shots - good stuff; great textures and an interesting take on something we have all seen before - the urge is to have a colour photo to do the butterfly justice; but by resisting this you have something very unique.

The colour ones at the beggining of the thread I'm afraid don't push my buttons.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
PeteL
Posted 23/08/2009 - 19:54 Link
Its good to see someone expanding their photographic experience into new areas so you should be congratulated for trying something new! I love the textures in the top image however i find that my eye is drawn to the wood grain as it is brighter than the Butterfly wings. Similarly with the second shot if you cover up the wood grain on the left hand side of the image you will see that the light circle on the wing suddenly gains more prominence.
Well done for having a go!

Regards - Pete
Thordell
Posted 23/08/2009 - 20:38 Link
I like the first very much think I may have cropped in so the image was filled with the pink hair like bloom, may also have rotated it to the left so the bee was walking up, but then it would be my image and not yours.

The other two do not seem to have a point of focus, nothing stands out, try moving some of the eaten leaves and close blooms away from the bloom that caught your eye and then take the shot with a DOF as shallow as light and the subject will allow (you may need to use a tripod for this if light is low)

Well done so far, I am always walking round the yard or the house looking for things to shot, most are of no interest at all but you do learn the limits of your equipment and yourself. So keep it up and let’s see your next efforts.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
darlene
Posted 23/08/2009 - 20:42 Link
Its fun tring new things Way to go

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.