Trojons on SD Card
Posted 16/12/2009 - 22:18
Link
I thought all cards had 'em? I have SanDisk, Peak and Kingston cards and they all have the lock.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 16/12/2009 - 22:45
Link
The normal SD(HC) has them not the micro and mini though.
Posted 17/12/2009 - 08:47
Link
Is that not why they are called secure digital?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 17/12/2009 - 13:24
Link
There is on my Sandisk Ultra II card
Colin
Colin
Colin
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 17/12/2009 - 14:32
Link
AFAIK, the slider on the SD card is a physical electronic write-protect.
There's nothing the host system can do to override the selection
So, if you write protect the card you will never get anything modified on it
Matt
There's nothing the host system can do to override the selection
So, if you write protect the card you will never get anything modified on it
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 18/12/2009 - 07:26
Link
Dave_Evanson wrote:
Why not use the switch on the card to set it to read only when you take it out of the camera? Just remember to switch it back before using it in the camera
I always do this but the viruses have still managed to get on the SD card Why not use the switch on the card to set it to read only when you take it out of the camera? Just remember to switch it back before using it in the camera
thoughton wrote:
It's a good idea and will probably work I would still be slightly wary though.
Doesn't work unfortunately
It's a good idea and will probably work I would still be slightly wary though.
Posted 18/12/2009 - 12:11
Link
Where did you get the card from? Was it new? From ebay? Have you ever formatted it?
Dan
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 18/12/2009 - 15:22
Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Where did you get the card from? Was it new? From ebay? Have you ever formatted it?
Dan
Bought the Card from Argos earlier in the year and yes I have formatted it...have had to do it a few times especially after having photos developed in the photo shop...once I have the photos put onto disc from the SD card I delete the photos and format the card but it appears this virus keeps getting on to the card...I have used the same photo shop for a few years now and it's only this year that I am having problems with viruses...as said before, the SD card has never been into a computer, only in my K20D and the photo shop machine
Where did you get the card from? Was it new? From ebay? Have you ever formatted it?
Dan
Posted 18/12/2009 - 15:34
Link
What file is the trojan in and what virus program do you use?
It might be that he recognise the file the camera make as a trojan XD
It might be that he recognise the file the camera make as a trojan XD
Posted 18/12/2009 - 15:42
Link
All I know is that when my friend put the SD card into his computer to look at the photos it said "this card has two Trojans" and wouldn't go any further...I am going into the photo shop at the weekend to speak to them about their machine. Thanks
Posted 18/12/2009 - 16:11
Link
The camera put some register files on the SD card so it's really possible he see those as a trojan.
Format the card with the camera and then put it into the PC and see if he still see those trojans, then try it after making some photos.
If he first didn't see it and with the photo the scanner does then you have found the problem.
Format the card with the camera and then put it into the PC and see if he still see those trojans, then try it after making some photos.
If he first didn't see it and with the photo the scanner does then you have found the problem.
Posted 19/12/2009 - 15:45
Link
The other point that would be of interest to some is a follow on from Stefan's last posts. What are the file names reported as Trojans - but what is the program reporting them? Most anti-Virus (and similar)programs will tell you what it is they think that they have found, and some are known to report other anti-Virus programs as potentially damaging; sort of: "If I cannot recognise it, it must be a virus".
I have never heard of a virus being spread via photo-printers before - so this is the sort of thing to warn people about.
But then, a few years back there was a problem with some External Hard Drives being sold by Aldi that carried several viruses. They were being infected by the computer that formatted them in the factory. I believe it got sorted very fast indeed (think of the words Contingent Liability) but it can happen anywhere. So, I am glad you are telling the store, then they can get their machine cleaned.
Geoff
I have never heard of a virus being spread via photo-printers before - so this is the sort of thing to warn people about.
But then, a few years back there was a problem with some External Hard Drives being sold by Aldi that carried several viruses. They were being infected by the computer that formatted them in the factory. I believe it got sorted very fast indeed (think of the words Contingent Liability) but it can happen anywhere. So, I am glad you are telling the store, then they can get their machine cleaned.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
Posted 19/12/2009 - 16:10
Link
Been into the photo shop today and they struggled but managed to find all the photos on my SD card...noticed that one of their machines was saying that the anti virus software needing updating, in the windows toolbar...mentioned this to the man but he only said he would mention it to the boss...he only works there so could hardly shoot the messenger, so to speak....anyway, he put the photos on to CD so at least I haven't lost them and now I will format the card again and see how it goes...they have four computers in their shop it appears..three are normal computers and one is a Kodak kiosk type machine and it was only the Kodak kiosk machine that would allow them to open up the files on the SD card, the rest would not..just glad that I didn't lose my photos, they mean a lot to me. Thanks Guys for your help.
Posted 19/12/2009 - 18:16
Link
...forgot to say, the photo shop bloke said they have Avast internet security on their machines ..don't know how good Avast is...anyone know?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



3062 posts
19 years
England Inside leg: 34
There's a switch on SD cards???