Tripod head advice
Posted 24/09/2010 - 17:00
Link
Anvh wrote:
The wheel is in the grip parallel and near to the mount, so if you hold the grip your thumb and index finger will be close to it.
Yep the red bit of plastic and the wheel but it still slips a bit
ISO wrote:
Any ideas how easy it is to dismantle the head to improve grip:
Like it has been said, there is a friction controll wheel on it, have you tighten that one?Any ideas how easy it is to dismantle the head to improve grip:
The wheel is in the grip parallel and near to the mount, so if you hold the grip your thumb and index finger will be close to it.
Posted 24/09/2010 - 17:03
Link
I just tried this, link and it seems to work
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 24/09/2010 - 17:21
Link
Greasy ball
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 24/09/2010 - 17:37
Link
bforbes wrote:
Greasy ball
I'm off for the yellow gloves
Greasy ball
Posted 24/09/2010 - 18:02
Link
pschlute wrote:
I am not sure i need to change the tripod. Camera +lens + head = 2.5 kilos. The tripod is rated at 5kg. Is this ok for using a 300mm lens ? or would i benefit from a stronger tripod ?
I don't know where they get these load figures from for tripods? I once saw an advert for a tripod with a man actually standing on it... that's probably 75kg and it still hadn't collapsed I am not sure i need to change the tripod. Camera +lens + head = 2.5 kilos. The tripod is rated at 5kg. Is this ok for using a 300mm lens ? or would i benefit from a stronger tripod ?
A 5kg Gitzo tripod is going to be very strong and should handle anything a Pentax digital camera's going to throw at it. The bigger and stronger the head the better your main problem with a 300mm lens is the overturning moment and a big head will resist that better than a small head. It will also absorb energy from the shutter better. I regularly use a 300mm + 2x TC on a 5 kg Manfrotto and it works OK.
Concerning loads I often use a K20D + 300mm F* f/4.5 + TC on a Minolta table top tripod (similar to the Leica one) and it handles it OK.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 24/09/2010 - 18:25
Link
A 5kg Gitzo tripod is going to be very strong and should handle anything a Pentax digital camera's going to throw at it. The bigger and stronger the head the better your main problem with a 300mm lens is the overturning moment and a big head will resist that better than a small head. It will also absorb energy from the shutter better. I regularly use a 300mm + 2x TC on a 5 kg Manfrotto and it works OK.
Algi - you obviously don't have Brian's greasy ball problem
Algi - you obviously don't have Brian's greasy ball problem
Posted 24/09/2010 - 18:56
Link
Brian!! Brian who?
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 25/09/2010 - 11:15
Link
Peter which tripod do you've and how do you find it?
Went to the photostore here and had the Basalt and the Carbon version in my hands, they both felt really good.
Went to the photostore here and had the Basalt and the Carbon version in my hands, they both felt really good.
Posted 25/09/2010 - 12:21
Link
Stefan
I have a Gitzo Basalt G1298. I don't think it is part of current range. It is light, but very sturdy. There are 4 leg sections with 3 twist connectors. It is ideal for me as it is light and also folded length is only 50cm (without head), so I tend to use it a lot.
I have a Gitzo Basalt G1298. I don't think it is part of current range. It is light, but very sturdy. There are 4 leg sections with 3 twist connectors. It is ideal for me as it is light and also folded length is only 50cm (without head), so I tend to use it a lot.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 25/09/2010 - 15:42
Link
Brian - Just caught up with this - Don't worry Brian if it's not you it must be Barie with a greasy ball problem
Posted 25/09/2010 - 20:10
Link
pschlute wrote:
Stefan
I have a Gitzo Basalt G1298. I don't think it is part of current range. It is light, but very sturdy. There are 4 leg sections with 3 twist connectors. It is ideal for me as it is light and also folded length is only 50cm (without head), so I tend to use it a lot.
I have hold that one or the newer version in my hand and the same one made out of carbon.Stefan
I have a Gitzo Basalt G1298. I don't think it is part of current range. It is light, but very sturdy. There are 4 leg sections with 3 twist connectors. It is ideal for me as it is light and also folded length is only 50cm (without head), so I tend to use it a lot.
The carbon one felt slightly lighter, do you know there are more benefits to get carbon, I believe basalt is good enough.
I've also played with the composer, the one where you can angle the centre column anyway you want, that one looked very nice for macro or for products shots in the studio.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



10412 posts
18 years
Dordrecht,
the Netherlands
Any ideas how easy it is to dismantle the head to improve grip:
The wheel is in the grip parallel and near to the mount, so if you hold the grip your thumb and index finger will be close to it.
K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ