Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Touring Infra Red

Posted 08/07/2019 - 10:25 Link
Hi all... thought I'd start posting the final few sets from my touring project. All taken at various times/locations over the last couple of years, depending on where I've been with work. Below is an IR set. All taken with my 720nm IR converted K5 and various lenses.

1. Sandwich Bay
Comment Image

2. Reflections, Birmingham Canal Basin
Comment Image

3. Reculver, Kent
Comment Image

4. Winterton, Norfolk
Comment Image

5. Canal, Birmingham
Comment Image

6. Park, Bristol
Comment Image

7. Sculpture, Trentham Park, Stoke
Comment Image

8. Winterton, Norfolk
Comment Image

9. Canal, Birmingham
Comment Image

10. Winterton, Norfolk
Comment Image

11. Manchester City Centre
Comment Image

12. Dog walker, Blackpool
Comment Image

13. Potteries, Stoke
Comment Image

14. Reflection, Deansgate Locks
Comment Image

15. Manchester City Centre (have posted this one before, but liked it as part of this set)
Comment Image

All thoughts, comments, observations etc gratefully received as ever...

Best
LennyBloke
Posted 08/07/2019 - 11:42 Link
Nice set Bill - the dramatic skies and lightened foliage created by IR are the typical trademarks of this technique and there is often a tendency to over-emphasise those elements - you haven't produced your images that way, they are almost incidental elements to the strong, considered compositions that are often typical of your style.

They are all top class, but the reflections pair are the ones that stand out for me - simple, strong and dark, I suspect you've got enough in your library to make a whole Reflections presentation

Keep em coming
LennyBloke
Nigelk
Posted 10/07/2019 - 08:03 Link
Another very interesting set. The IR makes for a different take.

My personal favourite on a couple of views has stayed the same No.4. I also really like No.5 I would guess this would work in IR or as a "normal" shot.
I remember No.15, think I might have commented on it before, great image anyhow.
Oh! nearly forgot Blackpool beach, stunner!

Keep on keeping on with the great work.

Nigel
derek897
Posted 10/07/2019 - 12:03 Link
Excellent set as ever,
2, 6, and 8 pop for me,
I think 2 is very clever and would be my top pick
I know what i like, If not always why.
Posted 10/07/2019 - 16:18 Link
Cheers guys... much appreciated as ever...

John, thanks for thoughts on composition and processing... very useful... funnily enough, I very nearly did put a set together based purely on reflections... but ended up spreading them across a number of different subject areas instead... might have a look at it again...

Nigel, yes, interesting re no.5... had taken the IR camera out for a spin, but came across plenty of things that weren’t, as you say, necessarily typical IR shots, so used what I had in my hand at the time...

Derek, yes, also took a colour version of no. 2, but prefer this IR version on balance...

Best
pschlute
Posted 11/07/2019 - 00:00 Link
Lovely set as usual Bill......seem to say that each time.

1/3/4/5 are the stand outs for me.

A question now on IR. Never done it but what differentiates it from simply high contrast b+w ?
Posted 11/07/2019 - 18:36 Link
Cheers Peter...

Re. IR, an interesting point you raise... there isn’t a huge amount of difference between how I tend to process these and high contrast b&w... the main difference being I suppose

A) the starting point (whiter whites and blacker blacks), and
B) foliage (or any living organic matter) showing up pure white

You can of course go the channel swapping false colour route, but having tried that a fair bit myself I’ve yet to come up with anything I’ve been completely happy with... so have tended to stick with the b&w route...

There’ll be plenty round these parts that can explain the physics/science of it I’m sure, but that tends to be my experience of the broad application of it...

Best
MrB
Posted 11/07/2019 - 20:37 Link
Mono IR images like these are wonderful. From this selection I would pick the mini-series: 1, 8, and 10 as my favourites.

Philip
Sry
Posted 11/07/2019 - 21:25 Link
I agree with Philip above regarding the 'mini-series' - to which I would add 3, 4 and 12, as they all convey a sense of open natural space, seemingly empty yet quite full (of life in diverse shapes, yet also of a very deep sense of solitude, awe and connectedness), quite characteristic of much of what I've seen of your work here on the forum, which really speaks to me.

Both reflections are very well seen, the first more mysterious than the second (almost a light-painting image), and they fit in perfectly (IMO) with the more urban set.

Of which I very well remember #15 - everything I said about that one previously still stands today. Also, looking through them yet another time, I find that it has found its counterpart of sorts with #4. They'd work great side by side, I think.

Interesting that your posts at times seem to gather images of a more eclectic nature than at others. It certainly forces me to look at things differently, and perhaps pay more attention to what is going on between individual photographs (even if I have a tendency to sort them anyway)...
Posted 12/07/2019 - 16:23 Link
Thanks Philip and Serge for thoughts and comments re these...

Philip: ah, yes, well spotted on the mini-series front...

Serge: thanks also for taking the time to consider these so carefully... much appreciated as ever... hadn't seen the connection between 4 and 15, but have now... thank you...

Interesting point you make re the eclectic nature of some of my output here, particularly in terms I suspect of what I tend to put together with what... the reality of the way I've tended to take quite a lot of my pics over the last couple of years is to take my camera pretty much everywhere I go... for work, that can be quite random in terms of venues/places/locations... so I tend to wander around and take photographs of whatever catches my eye... or have a think about places which might be near where I happen to find myself that I think might be of interest, and then head out and have a look... sometimes I'll discover a theme whilst I'm out and about and then shoot specifically for it (the concrete and man vs nature IR series that I posted a few months ago wld be gd examples)... other times I'll go through what I've taken after the fact and extract themes from it (a lot of which will have been sort of in the background of my thinking, but not foreground, when taking the pics)... originally I thought of posting a series of "postcards" from each of the places that I'd been, but quickly started seeing themes emerging above and beyond just location, so headed in that direction instead...

Cheers both...

Best
K10D
Posted 15/07/2019 - 09:00 Link
Impressive work. Great effect and good framing. Image 1 just comes across as sole life amongst space. I'm sure those are wind turbines on the horizon?

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Posted 15/07/2019 - 23:05 Link
Cheers Gary... much appreciated... yup, the specks on the horizon of 1 are indeed wind turbines...

Best
redbusa99
Posted 20/07/2019 - 14:54 Link
another excellent selection Bill , my favourite to hang on the wall would be 7 , it would make a great talking point for visitors, thinking they could see what it is but not being really sure that it is what they think.
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Posted 20/07/2019 - 21:23 Link
Cheers Joe... yes, an old school zoom burst... took quite a few goes to get the nymph at the centre of it, and to keep enough form in there (but not too much) for it to retain some kind of ambiguity...

Best

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.