Total beginner in Fareham

azcry

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 00:01
Hi stumbled across this site whilst looking for some tips on beginners photography, and being as i bought a Pentax K-R, it looks like i will fit nicely here.
I am 49 years old and totally new to this photo lark, having seen what some of my friends have achieved with their cameras, I felt I wanted some of that art, feeling, expression that seems to come out in some shots.
After a month of reading, reasearching and holding a range of cameras, plus all my friends saying "ohh you must get a canon / Nikon as they are the best" i ignored them and went on feel, use and pic quality.
and the K_R seemed to match or better most in the Sub 400 range, so thats what i went for.
The best part was i got it for 329 including 8gb ultra card,(due to poor customer service and me driving 50 miles for nothing) Looking forward to getting involved and posting some shots to learn listen and improve. (I think my last camera was a 110 or an instamatic)
Last Edited by azcry on 05/06/2012 - 00:02

Frogfish

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 04:03
Welcome azcry - you have bought an excellent camera and although there is a steep learning curve with DSLRs you will find a lot of of interest here and help too when you ask for it.
Most important thing to do is a) read the manual from front to back and then read it again b) take lots of photos and learn from your mistakes and successes !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

snappychappy

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 06:14
Welcome to the forums, looking forward to your input here.
My piccies.

doingthebobs

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 09:25
Welcome to the forum.

As Frogfish says, take lots of pictures and don't be afraid to ask, if the manual doesn't give you the answer. There are plenty of people here who will help.

The other thing that helps a lot is to have a look at other peoples work, on here or elsewhere, and ask yourself why you like/don't like what you see.
Bob

screwdriver222

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 18:27
Hi and welcome

I did the the same as you. Researched for the best camera for the money I had available and got the K-R. It was fortunate because I could use a couple of 25-30 year old lenses I had from my film days. It took a little while to get used to the camera and the manual (book that is) was invaluable. I have found photography really addictive and any time there is good weather I want to get with the camera.

Enjoy

Regards

Jeff
Flickr link

Stuey

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 18:45
Hello and Welcome
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

AndrewA

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 19:38
Hello and welcome, enjoy the K-r, super camera!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.