too nervous to take new camera out

AuraTodd

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 20:41
I have the Pentax k30 but my aunt says I shouldn't take it out in case I get mugged for it. This hasn't done a lot for my confidence and I would like to ask advice about this please?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I want to go and take pictures of landscapes but i am a bit weary at the mo.
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

cabstar

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 20:46
I go it all over with my gear, never been mugged,get asked to take people's photos a lot!

Is Salisbury known for muggings??? I wouldn't worry about it... Thieves will be looking for Nikon or canon surely
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

AuraTodd

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 20:49
Sorry aunts very concerned and I will go out with it, pointless buying it and not using it. Salisbury's known for all sorts and I'll guard my baby with my life
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

Mal

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 20:57
Not a silly question at all ,the best thing you can do is to go somewhere where there is other people around in daylight , why not try city/town center for your first outing , have you friends that could go out with you?

When I'm out somewhere a bit remote and see or hear people and feel a bit worried i tend to pack my camera back into my bag so its out of sight .

But i can honestly say i have never been caught up with any trouble while out taking photos , just use your common sense and if you see what might be trouble ahead of you , turn around and walk in a different direction away from them , but if i was you i would try going out into a local park or town center at first so you can build up your confidence .

Regards
Mal

johnriley

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:09
Why not have a photo buddy? Safety in numbers, and I know a few people who do that.

However, by and large as long as you are in sensible places to be in, it's very rare to have a problem.
Best regards, John

judderman62

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:13
My main area of photography is derelict/abandoned/disused buildings and similar. Plenty of scope for running into undesirables in that:

squatters/vagrants
druggies (been in many places with significant evidence of drug taling - some places the amount of needles has been a tad scary)
chavs
metal thieves

It's never stopped me going in with 1-2 camera bodies and up to 304 lenses.

As Mal said if in doubt - camera in bag and if feel the need leave the area.

Never had an issue though - bumped into people few times, occasionally been suspicious of them so just took precautions and if needed left.

have fun
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

DrOrloff

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:18
I wouldn't mess with anyone who carries 304 lenses around.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

judderman62

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:22
always wondered why the bag felt so darned heavy...hmm maybe finger slipped and it's 3-4 lenses...sounds more likely I feel
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Frogherder

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:24
I can't say I've ever seen any problems taking photos at night in towns/cities. But then photographing people is not my 'bag'.

I invariably find that people duck under my camera (even when pointed up to roof level) so as not to spoil my shot and have even been curious as to what I've been doing, then pointed in the direction of another possible target.

Then, I suppose a large male with a heavy tripod presents a less desirable target than a dainty young lady (sorry if that is seen as sexist remark - its not intended as such)

regards
Bernard

SteveF

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:24
AuraTodd wrote:
Sorry aunts very concerned and I will go out with it, pointless buying it and not using it. Salisbury's known for all sorts and I'll guard my baby with my life

Please don't literally guard it wih your life - it's only a camera and can be replaced (hat's what your insurance is for), it's not worth risking injury for.

Having said that I have never felt myself at risk, even in some locations where cameras aren't normally carried.

Frogherder

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 22:28
Quote:
Please don't literally guard it wih your life - it's only a camera and can be replaced (hat's what your insurance is for), it's not worth risking injury for.

Totally agree - I would ask if I could have the memory card - please.
(You never know it might just have a pic of the thief)

Good luck - go for it, but be careful

Bernard

moose

Link Posted 13/12/2012 - 23:18
Go anywhere where you would normally feel safe to be. Carrying a camera is unlikely to put you at any greater risk. However, if you wish to feel less conspicuous you could always carry the camera in an old shoulder bag ( or even a carrier bag) anything that doesn't look too much like an expensive photographers bag.

Safety is often about perception rather than reality. If you are not advertising what you are carrying, you should feel less of a target and hopefully more secure.

OldTaffy

Link Posted 14/12/2012 - 00:21
Some years ago a man who had to carry huge sums of cash to a bank said that he would never take it in one of the high-security briefcases, chained to his wrist. Instead, he would take it in an old supermarket plastic bag. He reckoned he was most unlikely to be mugged for what looked like a pound of sausages.

I don't suggest that a camera should be carried in a flimsy plastic carrier bag. But I generally carry my K-x in a scruffy old black shoulder bag.

I would think it would be perfectly safe for you to carry a nice camera around in daylight in normal places.

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Spaceman_Spiff

Link Posted 14/12/2012 - 00:35
Hi Aura,

I live down the road from you near Bath - never had any problems yet, but then I am 6'5" and ugly looking

Worst hassle I ever had was in the middle of a crowded street market in broad daylight. I tried taking a photo of a guys fish stall in the south of France and he got very angry... Lots of temperamental types down there

As John suggested, a photo buddy is a good idea. And if you ever do get threatened and demands are made, throw the camera away so they have to jump after it, and you run in the opposite direction making as much noise shouting for help as you can! Carrying a good rape alarm can give you confidence about being heard. Confidence counts for a lot when thugs size you up as a target.

I don't reckon you'll ever actually need the advice above though.
Better equipment enhances my ability to display my shortcomings.

thoramay

Link Posted 14/12/2012 - 09:43
If you fancy joining a camera club, then Salisbury has a good club there. Plenty of friends to be made and just as good advice to be had. I imagine that you will quickly gain confidence and a 'buddy' or two to join you in your camera excursions
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.