Today's Garden Visitor

JAK

Link Posted 04/07/2016 - 17:31

Mole Eating Worm

That's a mole eating a worm, not a worm that's mole eating!
Not something one sees very often, indeed I've never witnessed this before. I thought moles lived underground.

He was quite happy to let me follow him round and get close for photos (took 72, mostly useless!) His head seemed permanently buried in the ground.

PS We've no mole hills (yet!)
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 04/07/2016 - 17:35

K30pete

Link Posted 04/07/2016 - 17:47
That's amazing!
He (or she...) looks surprisingly clean for a creature what lives underground. And look at those claws!
If you took 72.. could you show some more photos please?

JAK

Link Posted 04/07/2016 - 18:08
It took the best part of 60 before I got that one! Most have his head hidden. Its still out on the lawn and had a cat watching it somewhat bemused. Tried to get a picture of both but the cat ran off. If I hadn't gone out to cut the lawn this afternoon I'd never have known.

Wonder if it is a he or a she. I thinks it's a male.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 04/07/2016 - 18:11

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 04/07/2016 - 21:58
Great nature shot...very unusual as you say.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 04/07/2016 - 22:45
Nice! Bit of a treat seeing one of them, unless it's your lawn it's digging up of course!!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 05/07/2016 - 16:37
Very well caught...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

JAK

Link Posted 05/07/2016 - 18:04

Mr Mole's Final Epitaph
Sadly he (or she) passed away last night which probably explains the unusual behaviour.
The classic pose recreated for posterity. A picture I've wanted to take for many years but tricky with a normally lively subject.
John K

Blythman

Link Posted 05/07/2016 - 18:17
That's a shame, because that's the "money shot"
Alan

PPG
Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 05/07/2016 - 18:24
Yes, but who would know (if I hadn't said?!)
John K

davidwozhere

Link Posted 07/07/2016 - 00:46
When these opportunities arise, you just have to grab them - and this one, though sad, was unique. The ending is quite superb and a tribute to the model.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

RobL

Link Posted 07/07/2016 - 07:47
JAK wrote:

How do we know you didn't find the ex-mole on the lawn and stuff it in a hole for it's immortal pose?!

Just a thought, did you put anything on the lawn which might have affected it or it's food, like lawn sand?
Last Edited by RobL on 07/07/2016 - 07:50

JAK

Link Posted 08/07/2016 - 11:38
RobL wrote:
JAK wrote:

How do we know you didn't find the ex-mole on the lawn and stuff it in a hole for it's immortal pose?!

Just a thought, did you put anything on the lawn which might have affected it or it's food, like lawn sand?

A: Because I photographed it running round digging up worms and finding plenty (see OP.) I have another 72+ pictures along with that one! It is uncommon to see them in daylight so its behaviour wasn't natural.

B: On day 2 it was a dead mole on the lawn and I did do as you suggest for posterity - I said so in the comment along with the photo!
With regard to chemicals I do not use them, certainly no lawn sand or feed the weeds fertilizer but I cannot speak about neighbours. I don't think my garden can have been its regular home as we haven't had mole hills for several years.
I happened to be in a museum yesterday who had a mole on display in their natural history section. I suspect that one had passed away at least several years ago!
As with the museum, one has to make most of opportunities. To get that photo for real would be nigh on impossible as even then I had to take several to get it right. Maybe one of those PIR cameras might have captured a similar photo for real but somehow it wouldn't have the quality of using a K-1 and having a PIR camera I often find the subject gone before the camera fires. It has captured badger shots which is why I bought one as I did suspect a badger was visiting and wanted to find out for sure.
PIR badger videos:
http://jkpg.ddns.net/piwigo/picture.php?/1713/category/62
http://jkpg.ddns.net/piwigo/picture.php?/1721/category/62

But that PIR camera couldn't focus close enough for the mole shot. It would have been tiny as in this wood mouse capture:
http://jkpg.ddns.net/piwigo/picture.php?/1722/category/62
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 08/07/2016 - 11:56

RobL

Link Posted 08/07/2016 - 12:31
JAK wrote:
RobL wrote:
Quote:

A: Because I photographed it running round digging up worms and finding plenty (see OP.) I have another 72+ pictures along with that one! It is uncommon to see them in daylight so its behaviour wasn't natural.

B: On day 2 it was a dead mole on the lawn and I did do as you suggest for posterity - I said so in the comment along with the photo!
With regard to chemicals I do not use them, certainly no lawn sand or feed the weeds fertilizer but I cannot speak about neighbours. I don't think my garden can have been its regular home as we haven't had mole hills for several years.
I happened to be in a museum yesterday who had a mole on display in their natural history section. I suspect that one had passed away at least several years ago!
As with the museum, one has to make most of opportunities. To get that photo for real would be nigh on impossible as even then I had to take several to get it right. Maybe one of those PIR cameras might have captured a similar photo for real but somehow it wouldn't have the quality of using a K-1 and having a PIR camera I often find the subject gone before the camera fires. It has captured badger shots which is why I bought one as I did suspect a badger was visiting and wanted to find out for sure.
PIR badger videos:
http://jkpg.ddns.net/piwigo/picture.php?/1713/category/62
http://jkpg.ddns.net/piwigo/picture.php?/1721/category/62

But that PIR camera couldn't focus close enough for the mole shot. It would have been tiny as in this wood mouse capture:
http://jkpg.ddns.net/piwigo/picture.php?/1722/category/62

I was speaking with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I wasn't seriously suggesting you had faked the final photo! I remember as a lad finding a dead mole and taking it to the biology lesson in school, only for dozens of maggots to start crawling out over the desk! These are really nice photos and well done for taking the opportunity.

JAK

Link Posted 08/07/2016 - 12:54
Thanks.
John K

Teaka53

Link Posted 09/07/2016 - 20:50
Don't really know what to say, a sad story but brilliant shots
Malc
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.