To shake the censor or not to shake the sensor!
Posted 26/02/2009 - 11:59
Link
jackitec wrote:
I have my K20 and K200 set to shake the censor when I switch the camera on, is this a good idea or not?
If like me you keep changing lenses then yes, mine has been set like this since day one and NO dust marks on the sensor yet.
I have my K20 and K200 set to shake the censor when I switch the camera on, is this a good idea or not?
Tel,
Posted 26/02/2009 - 12:03
Link
Thanks Tel, as a Pro Master I'll take your advice, thanks
Posted 26/02/2009 - 12:28
Link
Like tel on the day i bought my k10 i switched this on and every time i do a lens change i switch on the camera then off again so the sensor shakes.So far so good no dust!
Posted 26/02/2009 - 13:47
Link
Maybe the dust I encouter is more sticky than usual!, but I find the K20D's (and K10D's) Dust Reduction shake is rarely able to remove any particle I get on my sensor.
Therefore I do not have it activated at startup in order to save battery power and time. However, I do sometimes use it after a lens change or transporting the camera - just in case it's doing any good.
Therefore I do not have it activated at startup in order to save battery power and time. However, I do sometimes use it after a lens change or transporting the camera - just in case it's doing any good.
~Pete
Posted 26/02/2009 - 14:06
Link
Here is an article about the dust removal system and it doesn't seem to work link
I know it's from the K10D but I believe that they haven't change the system or have they?
The verdict quoted from it.
I know it's from the K10D but I believe that they haven't change the system or have they?
The verdict quoted from it.
Quote:
Pentax K10D
Part of the reason we started to organize this test was that we had a bad experience with the dust removal system of Pentax K10D that we had for our review.?Although the amplitude of the CCD movement is quite high (one can feel the shake on his hand), the frequency is rather low.
After the second cleaning cycle surprisingly we have found more spots on the image than we had before it. This could be caused by the dust stuck in the mirror area. One thing is sure though: this system is not working as promised. Even after the 25th cleaning cycle we had all the spots on place. I tried really hard to find one disappearing spot, but I failed. So did the Pentax dust removal system. Effectiveness: 0%.
After using the air blower the remaining spots decreased to a dozen. This shows, that the sensor's surface is not statically charged. Knowing this increases our disappointment even more.
Pentax K10D
Part of the reason we started to organize this test was that we had a bad experience with the dust removal system of Pentax K10D that we had for our review.?Although the amplitude of the CCD movement is quite high (one can feel the shake on his hand), the frequency is rather low.
After the second cleaning cycle surprisingly we have found more spots on the image than we had before it. This could be caused by the dust stuck in the mirror area. One thing is sure though: this system is not working as promised. Even after the 25th cleaning cycle we had all the spots on place. I tried really hard to find one disappearing spot, but I failed. So did the Pentax dust removal system. Effectiveness: 0%.
After using the air blower the remaining spots decreased to a dozen. This shows, that the sensor's surface is not statically charged. Knowing this increases our disappointment even more.
Posted 26/02/2009 - 14:18
Link
i second what iceblinker says, i find it not that good thats why i just dont change lenses no more tamron 18-200mm on k20d and 70-300mm on the k200d, i tested both with the dust feature on each camera has 2 specs, but if you shake the sensor the dust just moves about on the sensor, i just leave it at that..
Posted 26/02/2009 - 14:54
Link
Mine's left on permanently at start-up. I give it a blow with the rocket blower about once a week and I've never had dust problems.
Joining the Q
Posted 26/02/2009 - 17:13
Link
Anvh wrote:
I know it's from the K10D but I believe that they haven't change the system or have they?
It's basically the same system, but the K20D gives the sensor a more vigarous shake at a higher frequency than the K10D. You can hear and feel that it's a lot more powerful. However, it's still not powerful enough.I know it's from the K10D but I believe that they haven't change the system or have they?
I reckon a completely different system is required - perhaps involving a temporary static charge or even a blast of air or brush!
~Pete
Posted 26/02/2009 - 22:09
Link
I've never had any dust problems on the k10 and change lenses a couple of times a week all i do is use a rocket blower when i'm changing the lens.It's maybe working or i've just been lucky but either way i'm not changing now.I'v probably just jinxed myself saying that but never mind
Posted 26/02/2009 - 22:45
Link
iceblinker wrote:
I reckon a completely different system is required - perhaps involving a temporary static charge or even a blast of air or brush!
You forget that there is an diffrent sensor in it and it's probable a bit heavier since most of the things are buildin into the CMOS sensor.Anvh wrote:
I know it's from the K10D but I believe that they haven't change the system or have they?
It's basically the same system, but the K20D gives the sensor a more vigarous shake at a higher frequency than the K10D. You can hear and feel that it's a lot more powerful. However, it's still not powerful enough.I know it's from the K10D but I believe that they haven't change the system or have they?
I reckon a completely different system is required - perhaps involving a temporary static charge or even a blast of air or brush!
I don't know if that true but I think it's heavier.
If you read the article at my first post you will see that only the Olympus system works a bit and that one moves ultrasonic (above 20 kHz) while pentax clearly doesn't, the 100 Hz range they say so maybe pentax need to aproach it differendly.
Btw I like the way Sigma has done it!

it's an filter that removes the infrared light just like most sensor have it on the sensor.
If pentax would do that as well and make it weather sealed you would have trully a 100% weather prove camera, so no worries while changing the lens in the rain and dust doesnt even get in
Posted 27/02/2009 - 14:02
Link
I've had mine switched on my GX10 from day one, never had any dust issues so I'm not tempting fate by turning it off
simon
simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 27/02/2009 - 16:10
Link
I have had the K10D for two years. Before that I owned the dust magnet, an IstD. Where I live soot is as much of a problem as dust. I don't use the shake gizmo except when there is dust and in two years I haven't had any dust or soot that didn't come off with the Giotto blower and a quick shake. I think the credit goes to the new sensor coating but all I really know is I like it.
Posted 28/02/2009 - 16:38
Link
jackitec wrote:
I have my K20 and K200 set to shake the censor when I switch the camera on, is this a good idea or not?
I didn't know that the cameras had built-in censors. Is that to prevent indecent pictures? And then shake them if you don't agree with them?
I have my K20 and K200 set to shake the censor when I switch the camera on, is this a good idea or not?
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 28/02/2009 - 16:42
Link
terje-l wrote:
Hilarious
jackitec wrote:
I have my K20 and K200 set to shake the censor when I switch the camera on, is this a good idea or not?
I didn't know that the cameras had built-in censors. Is that to prevent indecent pictures? And then shake them if you don't agree with them?I have my K20 and K200 set to shake the censor when I switch the camera on, is this a good idea or not?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



1450 posts
18 years