Tiny Pentax SLR outfit - ME Super content

Dangermouse

Link Posted 19/07/2011 - 12:07
Just something I put together a few days ago and posted on Youtube about what I think makes an excellent film outfit for travel:

http://youtu.be/grbqx6uHP3k

Hopefully it's allowed, the video camera wasn't a Pentax but most of the gear on screen is!

I know there should probably be a fast 50mm in the box but it won't fit - I've yet to find any of these waterproof boxes with the headroom for an M series with a standard lens, the 40mm only just fits and touches the inside of the lid. An MX will fit in place of the ME Super if preferred.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Oso

Link Posted 19/07/2011 - 12:16
My preferred camera when travelling, wish more cameras are built like this. Regards

Hye

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 19/07/2011 - 13:41
Nice one Matt. Wonder if you'd get the 20mm f4 in there rather than the 40mm? You could go 20/50/135mm as an alternative set up.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Dangermouse

Link Posted 19/07/2011 - 13:49
It really depends on how long the 20mm is - as I said, the 40mm is on the limit. It touches the lid when the box is closed and presses the camera gently into the foam (which has the added benefit of stopping it from rattling around).

I am still on the lookout for a slightly larger one of these boxes able to handle the 50mm. I have bought another since but it'll only take an M series/40mm lens and maybe a couple of rolls of film, so my spare MX body currently lives in there. The problem seems to be that this is the limit for sensibly priced boxes - you can buy larger but you're into Peli cases intended for divers and priced accordingly.

I can't find stock of the box I used in the UK at the moment, but it was made by "Outdoor Products" and it's the larger of the two they offer. The smaller case which can only take camera and 40mm lens is an Otterbox 2500.
Matt

Jetsam1

Link Posted 20/07/2011 - 11:56
I like it! Though I don't use my ME Super that much..... Like the plan of using the 40mm pancake!
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

johnriley

Link Posted 20/07/2011 - 12:09
Why not put the items in a small waterproof Billingham bag? Surely in the waterproof box they can be carried about but it's hardly useful when using the cameras. There's also no padding so the lenses and camera will get rubbed.

The bit that was missing for me was the answer to why we would do this? What am I misssing?
Best regards, John

ReklawyksEkul

Link Posted 20/07/2011 - 12:30
i like the idea, havent use my me super for a while.

why not take zooms? 28-80? or any othe zooms?
iqbal

learning in progress...

picasa
flickr
photoblog
PPG

Dangermouse

Link Posted 20/07/2011 - 13:56
Mostly because zooms won't fit!

I have the M 35-70mm and 75-150mm zooms but they're far too big

As for why, it depends on what you do with your cameras. I was aiming for a non-squashable waterproof container which could be stuffed into a normal bag without having to worry about getting it wet. I've yet to notice any trouble with rubbing. It's also a pretty effective demonstration of the fact that Pentax M series bodies and lenses are very compact, even by the standards of thirty years after their release.
Matt

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.