Time Lapse Video
Posted 28/04/2012 - 00:18
Link
Adrian1 wrote:
So what would be the best way to do a time lapse video?
Not sure what you are asking exactly. Do you mean what settings to put on the camera, if so it is shown on page 113 of the camera manual. Or are you asking how to arrange the camera in relation to the subject (in which case it would depend on what it is you intend to take) or are you wanting to do an animation movie like a Wallace & Gromit?So what would be the best way to do a time lapse video?
Whatever it is you intend to do I'd have a practice making a short one first even if it is a few seconds of cars driving down the street at seemingly break neck speeds.
John
John K
Posted 28/04/2012 - 11:05
Link
JAK wrote:
John
Adrian1 wrote:
So what would be the best way to do a time lapse video?
Not sure what you are asking exactly. Do you mean what settings to put on the camera, if so it is shown on page 113 of the camera manual.So what would be the best way to do a time lapse video?
John
sorry John I should've been more clear
I have used that mode on the camera but I was wondering if it would be better to take individual pictures and then stitch them together?
Posted 28/04/2012 - 11:46
Link
Some amazing Q timelapse footage here, with some discussion in the comments thread of how the film-maker achieved it. (He uses combination of continuous shooting mode, for fluid movement of people/traffic etc, and Q's timelapse mode for clouds etc). I believe the Q will shoot timelapse and create a movie from it for you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdIOnkBcxfU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pymw8WjDVPA&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdIOnkBcxfU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pymw8WjDVPA&feature=relmfu
Quote:
I'm sorry but could you please explain the difference between a standard time-lapse, one requiring setting a time interval in the intervalometer and letting it run as long as you like, and one using continuous shooting ? From what I understand continuous shooting involves shooting several frames per second and storing them in the camera's buffer, but the limit of shots one can take before the buffer fills up is pretty small(30-40 on most SLRs I know). So how do you pull it off ?
TheUnchainedMind in reply to darwinfish105 7 months ago
When shooting the movement of clouds I use intervalometer. when shooting the movement of people and cars I use continuous shooting. Continuous shooting give fluid-like behavior of movements.
Pentax Q and K-5 has continuous shooting mode LOW. This mode can shoot over hundreds of images.
darwinfish105 in reply to TheUnchainedMind 7 months ago
I'm sorry but could you please explain the difference between a standard time-lapse, one requiring setting a time interval in the intervalometer and letting it run as long as you like, and one using continuous shooting ? From what I understand continuous shooting involves shooting several frames per second and storing them in the camera's buffer, but the limit of shots one can take before the buffer fills up is pretty small(30-40 on most SLRs I know). So how do you pull it off ?
TheUnchainedMind in reply to darwinfish105 7 months ago
When shooting the movement of clouds I use intervalometer. when shooting the movement of people and cars I use continuous shooting. Continuous shooting give fluid-like behavior of movements.
Pentax Q and K-5 has continuous shooting mode LOW. This mode can shoot over hundreds of images.
darwinfish105 in reply to TheUnchainedMind 7 months ago
Posted 28/04/2012 - 12:28
Link
Adrian1 wrote:
sorry John I should've been more clear
I have used that mode on the camera but I was wondering if it would be better to take individual pictures and then stitch them together?
I can't really advise you on that as I haven't got a Q or a K-01 which has that feature; if you've tried it and it doesn't do what you want, try the individual pictures method. I do not see how one method can be better than the other though, they are just different ways of achieving the same thing. Having the camera join them for you without further processing sounds simpler but if you want more than that because you want to crop the images or alter them first then you have your answer.JAK wrote:
John
Adrian1 wrote:
So what would be the best way to do a time lapse video?
Not sure what you are asking exactly. Do you mean what settings to put on the camera, if so it is shown on page 113 of the camera manual.So what would be the best way to do a time lapse video?
John
sorry John I should've been more clear
I have used that mode on the camera but I was wondering if it would be better to take individual pictures and then stitch them together?
John
John K
Posted 29/04/2012 - 16:34
Link
Thanks for this, making my first timelapse vid with the K5 and MakeAVI. I'll post a link to the results if they are worthy. I asked for a time-lapse software advice on the other forum and was met with deafening silence.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


10344 posts
20 years
The Netherlands
You can see some of his films here.