Time Lapse Video

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/04/2012 - 19:24
You may enjoy reading this article in the LA Times.
You can see some of his films here.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 27/04/2012 - 19:25

JAK

Link Posted 28/04/2012 - 00:18
Adrian1 wrote:
So what would be the best way to do a time lapse video?

Not sure what you are asking exactly. Do you mean what settings to put on the camera, if so it is shown on page 113 of the camera manual. Or are you asking how to arrange the camera in relation to the subject (in which case it would depend on what it is you intend to take) or are you wanting to do an animation movie like a Wallace & Gromit?

Whatever it is you intend to do I'd have a practice making a short one first even if it is a few seconds of cars driving down the street at seemingly break neck speeds.

John
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 28/04/2012 - 00:20

Adrian1

Link Posted 28/04/2012 - 11:05
JAK wrote:
Adrian1 wrote:

Not sure what you are asking exactly. Do you mean what settings to put on the camera, if so it is shown on page 113 of the camera manual.

John

sorry John I should've been more clear

I have used that mode on the camera but I was wondering if it would be better to take individual pictures and then stitch them together?

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 28/04/2012 - 11:46
Some amazing Q timelapse footage here, with some discussion in the comments thread of how the film-maker achieved it. (He uses combination of continuous shooting mode, for fluid movement of people/traffic etc, and Q's timelapse mode for clouds etc). I believe the Q will shoot timelapse and create a movie from it for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdIOnkBcxfU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pymw8WjDVPA&feature=relmfu

Quote:
I'm sorry but could you please explain the difference between a standard time-lapse, one requiring setting a time interval in the intervalometer and letting it run as long as you like, and one using continuous shooting ? From what I understand continuous shooting involves shooting several frames per second and storing them in the camera's buffer, but the limit of shots one can take before the buffer fills up is pretty small(30-40 on most SLRs I know). So how do you pull it off ?

TheUnchainedMind in reply to darwinfish105 7 months ago

When shooting the movement of clouds I use intervalometer. when shooting the movement of people and cars I use continuous shooting. Continuous shooting give fluid-like behavior of movements.

Pentax Q and K-5 has continuous shooting mode LOW. This mode can shoot over hundreds of images.

darwinfish105 in reply to TheUnchainedMind 7 months ago

[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 28/04/2012 - 11:47

JAK

Link Posted 28/04/2012 - 12:28
Adrian1 wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:

Not sure what you are asking exactly. Do you mean what settings to put on the camera, if so it is shown on page 113 of the camera manual.

John

sorry John I should've been more clear

I have used that mode on the camera but I was wondering if it would be better to take individual pictures and then stitch them together?

I can't really advise you on that as I haven't got a Q or a K-01 which has that feature; if you've tried it and it doesn't do what you want, try the individual pictures method. I do not see how one method can be better than the other though, they are just different ways of achieving the same thing. Having the camera join them for you without further processing sounds simpler but if you want more than that because you want to crop the images or alter them first then you have your answer.

John
John K

jeztastic

Link Posted 29/04/2012 - 16:34
Thanks for this, making my first timelapse vid with the K5 and MakeAVI. I'll post a link to the results if they are worthy. I asked for a time-lapse software advice on the other forum and was met with deafening silence.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.