Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Thumbnails are smaller, can you explain what went wrong please?

AuraTodd
Posted 27/01/2013 - 18:34 Link
Hi I smartened all my photos in Google + and then transferred them to Picasa 3 but the pictures had duplicated themselves.

I had to delete some as there were too many of the same photo. Now some of the pictures are too small, I had hoped to enlarge one or two but that don't look likely now as they have reduced in size.

I put them beginning 800 to 600 in size, but they were no more then 800. Can you tell me where I went wrong, and how I can make them the same size in Picassa eg: 800 - 600?

Thanks.
Posted 27/01/2013 - 19:36 Link
Maybe you should to go the help pages of Google and Picasa 3,states on link below
Full size photos e.g. 4288 x 2848
http://support.google.com/picasa/answer/156348
Neither are of the above are Pentax related...
johnriley
Posted 27/01/2013 - 20:19 Link
I'll pop this into General Digital Photography, which is the area for image manipulation queries.

To aid in answering the question, are you using Photoshop or some other program to edit your shots?
Best regards, John
AuraTodd
Posted 28/01/2013 - 09:13 Link
johnriley wrote:
I'll pop this into General Digital Photography, which is the area for image manipulation queries.

To aid in answering the question, are you using Photoshop or some other program to edit your shots?

No Google Picasa 3

Quote:
Neither are of the above are Pentax related.

I didn't know where else to ask, and the pictures have been taken with a Pentax.
johnriley
Posted 28/01/2013 - 12:20 Link
Asking is fine. I'm not familiar with Picasa 3 so will someone who is offer a solution?
Best regards, John
MattMatic
Posted 28/01/2013 - 13:08 Link
I hope you've not deleted the original images!

Picasa can be a pain when you have multiple versions of the same image - if you're not careful you might have deleted the larger format and only kept the smaller

When clicking on an image, the dark grey bar shows the image details (near the bottom of the screen in Picasa). The best way (IMHO) to create web-ready versions from Picasa is to use the "Export" button at the bottom.

It's there that you can resize to an appropriate dimension, and optionally add a watermark Picasa will then export the photo (or selected bunch of images) to a new directory.

I find it's best to keep the smaller size images in a completely different place. If you do need them in the same place as the original images then put them in a sub-folder (eg. called "WebSized")

HTH!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
fritzthedog
Posted 28/01/2013 - 13:24 Link
Hi

Not sure what you mean by smartened them up in google then transferred to Picasa.

Normally you would smarten them in Picasa and then transfer to a google album.

If you still have the originals on your PC they will be in your normal directory - ignore Picasa or Google. By default this means they are generally in the file called "Pictures" on your PC. Check to see if your original images are in there.

Picasa does not store to your main images files. However, if you have deleted via Picasa - you may have deleted the originals

If you have accidentally done this - so long as you have not emptied your recycle bin since doing it - you can go to the bin and open the files (pictures) you want and restore them (double click on recycle bin - select the image or images - right click - press restore).

The best way to get images from Picasa to a google album is to use the "share" button below the image. You can do this with a single or multiple images - once you have pressed "share" you get a menu and can select the size you want to upload - default is 800 but I generally use 1600 (you can use original size if you want).

Personally - so long as you have not lost the originals - I would get rid of all the low quality copies and start again.

I have been using Picasa and google albums since they were first launched and if you need any help - feel free to pm me with any questions.

Regards

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
AuraTodd
Posted 28/01/2013 - 13:30 Link
I ave the original images in the recycle bin. Just wondering if i should dump the folder on Picsa and restore the whole lot again? I ave backed em up on Google +

Is this a gud idea?
fritzthedog
Posted 28/01/2013 - 15:57 - Helpful Comment Link
Restore the images out of the recycle bin before you lose them! They will go back to the original file they were in.

If it were me - this is what I would do

Once restored - rename the file they are in (left click on file folder - then right click - select rename - type in new name - return. then there is no confusion between these and what you have in Picasa and these will not duplicate automatically).

Now - the folder you have in Picasa with the changes you have made to the images -if you are happy with these - keep them - otherwise - delete and start again by importing the originals from the new folder - and remember - when exportimg to google+ or 'sharing' select the size you want the images saved online as.

If any of that does not make sense - let me know

Carl
AuraTodd
Posted 28/01/2013 - 17:51 Link
fritzthedog wrote:
Restore the images out of the recycle bin before you lose them! They will go back to the original file they were in.

If it were me - this is what I would do

Once restored - rename the file they are in (left click on file folder - then right click - select rename - type in new name - return. then there is no confusion between these and what you have in Picasa and these will not duplicate automatically).

Now - the folder you have in Picasa with the changes you have made to the images -if you are happy with these - keep them - otherwise - delete and start again by importing the originals from the new folder - and remember - when exportimg to google+ or 'sharing' select the size you want the images saved online as.

If any of that does not make sense - let me know

Carl

Ok I have tried killing off the folder in Picasa and restored the pictures, but some of the thumbnails are still persistantly small. I will work on each file indiviually in Picasa, should I just get rid of the smaller files and 'save as' again from Google +?

It duplicates files (makes four copies) but I couldn't enlarge them if I wanted to, which is a pain.

There is a programme called http://fotoflexer.com/ is that as good as Picasa please?
Edited by AuraTodd: 28/01/2013 - 18:04
fritzthedog
Posted 28/01/2013 - 19:57 Link
Sorry but I do not really understand. If you renamed the folder with the photos in - unless you have Picasa set up to automatically always check every folder for images - you should not be getting duplicates

When you say the thumbnail are small - do you mean in Picasa - if so you do know you can change the size of the thumbnail using the slider at the bottom of the screen?
AuraTodd
Posted 28/01/2013 - 20:02 Link
Quote:
When you say the thumbnail are small - do you mean in Picasa

Yes. I have created a new folder and I am re copying which seems to do the trick, for now. I know about the slider but I don't think that solves the problem of the pixle's. It's 16.1mg on my camera.

Mal
Posted 29/01/2013 - 01:10 Link
Get your self a Flickr account , you will find it quite interesting , there is a lot of Pentax groups along with a lot more groups that take your fancy , plus it can be fun getting to know other photographers from around the world .
AuraTodd
Posted 29/01/2013 - 11:06 Link
Mal wrote:
Get your self a Flickr account , you will find it quite interesting , there is a lot of Pentax groups along with a lot more groups that take your fancy , plus it can be fun getting to know other photographers from around the world .

Apparently I have come to my limit on flickr and have to pay to upgrade. have some photo's on Photobucket.

Mal
Posted 29/01/2013 - 13:38 Link
AuraTodd wrote:
Mal wrote:

Apparently I have come to my limit on flickr and have to pay to upgrade. have some photo's on Photobucket.

Thats the limit for the month , you cam post photos again until you reach your limit for the new month and so on ..... think a pro account is around £15 a year

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.