this will be intresting

richandfleur

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 02:31
Nearly straight out of camera, with just a bit of contrast adjustment...

stu62

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 06:19
richandfleur wrote:
Nearly straight out of camera, with just a bit of contrast adjustment...

But what's it like without the contrast added as I did say people are not prepared to show the befor and after

McGregNi

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 06:22
That was a once in a lifetime opportunity spotting that drink Richard! Well done, and an amazing coincidence that the little boat in the glass looks very much like the OP's photograph at the start here! I guess that's what separates that real photographers out from the pack ......

The only issue is that these sort of image composites play into the hands of those who see 'Photoshopping' as nothing more than trickery and fantasy. We probably just need some levels, curves, highlight correction, colour balance and saturation control demonstrations
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Dingo

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 06:37
Straight out of camera, as opposed to a tin

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 07:39
SteveLedger wrote:
Stu is trolling.
Perhaps the real problem is that he is plain lousy at post-processing?
I second JAK's post above.

I was going to say this.
Now I won't have to.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

johnriley

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 07:43
You know, it isn't necessary to prolong these attacks on people. I'll just recap, please in future if you don't like a thread report it rather that casting aspersions about the motivation of posters.

There was no dissent in this thread apart from some posters doubting the sincerlty of the OP. Everybody else was prepared to enter a discussion. It is possible to be a "Devil's advocate" without being a troll.
Best regards, John

Nigelk

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 08:38
To do nothing other than press the button on your camera set in auto jpeg misses 90% of what digital photography offers. To capture and create your own vision and view of the world, this is photography.

Dingo

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 09:05
Nigelk wrote:
To do nothing other than press the button on your camera set in auto jpeg misses 90% of what digital photography offers. To capture and create your own vision and view of the world, this is photography.[quote:3496ace15f="Nigelk"]To do nothing other than press the button on your camera set in auto jpeg misses 90% of what digital photography offers. To capture and create your own vision and view of the world, this is photography.

Didn't I just say just that??

Dingo wrote:

The uniformity, conformity, parallel lines and military precision......didn't you get all of that from my photo??

Nigelk

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 09:25
Dingo wrote:
Nigelk wrote:
To do nothing other than press the button on your camera set in auto jpeg misses 90% of what digital photography offers. To capture and create your own vision and view of the world, this is photography.[quote:3496ace15f="Nigelk"]To do nothing other than press the button on your camera set in auto jpeg misses 90% of what digital photography offers. To capture and create your own vision and view of the world, this is photography.

Didn't I just say just that??

Dingo wrote:

The uniformity, conformity, parallel lines and military precision......didn't you get all of that from my photo??

Sorry, I was in a dream. I'll pay more attention next time.

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 09:29
I shoot 90% film with no adjustments to speak of apart from correcting edges where the scan has overlapped.

Whilst I have no problem with photo adjustments and overlaying etc in photoshop - it has its place, for me its not true photography.
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

McGregNi

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 09:43
Dingo, I thought you were just being prepared for the disintegration of civilisation .... Don't forget to check your tin opener works though

Stu's harmless enough, and of course he just wants to provoke for some discussion in a devils advocate sort of way, as John said. I don't recognise this accusation of 'trolling' in this context here .... Wow, I was called a troll here as well, just for some point I made about Lightroom ....I wonder who made that accusation as well? Nigel, the Pentax User troll. .... That's ridiculous!

There are sometimes real trolls on Pentaxforums.com, usually of the type that starts off moaning about something he can't do with his camera or flash, and ends with a statement that he is going to leave Pentax and go to Canon or Nikon .... And it's often one of their first posts!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 19/05/2016 - 09:48

johnriley

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 09:56
One of the things I don't agree with is the accusation that shooting in JPEG has no merit because all the decisions are made by Ricoh engineers. Notwithstanding that all basic decisions, even for RAW capture, have already been made by Ricoh engineers, it does strike me that if anyone ought to know how to get the best out of Pentax cameras it will be those who designed them.

But the magic ingredient is how we set up the JPEG capture. From a basic style (I use Natural) we can adjust saturation, contrast and sharpness. Then we can choose how we use WB settings. It's just like deciding what sort of film to buy. After that, all the rest of the decisions lie with us and it's up to us to make a great image. We can even post process as well if desired.
Best regards, John

miles500

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 10:30
I am somewhat surprised to see this old argument revived here. In film days photographers manipulated their images in the darkroom, and now we do it in the digital darkroom, albeit with many more tools at our disposal. The camera rarely manages to capture an image with the vibance and impact which we perceive with our eyes. I think that this is mainly because we have a brain to interpret the scene and the camera does not, it simply has a much less powerful computer algorithm. We can however redress this with some appropriate post processing. If some people are happy with images straight from the camera, then good luck to them but they will rarely realise the full potential of their images without some adjustment. I do not know whether the OP's image is intended to be an OOC example of how the image should appear. If it is, then I would not be happy with what seem to me to be rather oversaturated colours. It is, however, his image and he is free to present it as he likes it.
Miles

McGregNi

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 10:49
johnriley wrote:
One of the things I don't agree with is the accusation that shooting in JPEG has no merit because all the decisions are made by Ricoh engineers. Notwithstanding that all basic decisions, even for RAW capture, have already been made by Ricoh engineers, it does strike me that if anyone ought to know how to get the best out of Pentax cameras it will be those who designed them.

But the magic ingredient is how we set up the JPEG capture. From a basic style (I use Natural) we can adjust saturation, contrast and sharpness. Then we can choose how we use WB settings. It's just like deciding what sort of film to buy. After that, all the rest of the decisions lie with us and it's up to us to make a great image. We can even post process as well if desired.

I would agree that that there's some logic to the idea that the camera creators could get the most out of the camera they created ..... unfortunately the main message we keep hearing again and again is that the other brands 'do it better' . This is because there is often the perception that the other brands offer up more highly 'prepared' and 'optimised' looking JPEGs that jump out more on the screen and so appeal more to the wider population of customers . That seems to be the most common point made around here regarding camera JPEGs.

I do accept that our camera JPEGs are high quality in IQ terms, especially if your lens and settings have allowed you to take advantage of all the automatic corrections available. However, ultimately, in dynamic range and tonal range plus colour depth terms, then they are a step down from the RAW output available.

Thats not to say I don't like and use camera JPEGs .... I do. The're a great way of carrying out easy batch processing of a lot of very similar shots. I agree with John that its important though to spend the time to set up the custom image controls properly for each particular situation .... eg landscapes, portraits etc in order to be sure that the camera processes its output as best as possible and to reduce any further adjustments needed later. ...... (stu ... you didn't tell me your saturation and sharpness settings

John himself is a good example of someone who gets good looking, 'optimised' JPEGs out of the camera, with a bit of work in Photoshop usually I think ...... also MrB (Philip) produces optimised high quality images from camera JPEGs with a few tweaks in Paint Shop Pro. To be honest (and I'll gladly be corrected with other names) there are very few others around here shooting camera JPEGs who I would put into the same category ...... most of the other high quality output shown here is by members who use RAW.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 19/05/2016 - 10:52

johnriley

Link Posted 19/05/2016 - 11:23
Yes, I do a bit of work afterwards in Photoshop, limited usually to levels and/or Curves adjustments, a bit of cropping to size for purpose and finally some output sharpening as needed.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.