Third party K adapter for Q

alfamelba

Link Posted 18/07/2013 - 22:46
Having got a Q with 01 prime for my birthday, I would like to get an adapter to use my K mount lenses with the Q. I cannot afford the Pentax original adapter, so am looking at the cheaper third party adapters.

Because I have several DA type lenses I would like to use, I am only looking at the ones with aperture adjustment. There appear to be two types - with (RJ/jinfinance) and without a tripod mount (Kiwi/JJC). With the tripod mount I would guess it will be more difficult to hold with a smaller lens - e.g. 40-50mm, but think some type of tripod mount is pretty essential with longer lenses.

So my question is - am I better getting a separate tripod ring to fit the longer lenses or just buying the adapter with the mount?

Some advice from anyone who has actually tried these types would be great.

Cheers, Andrew.
Pentax K-x, 18-55 DAL, 18-250 DA, 50-300 DA, Tamron 10-24 Di II, Pentax DA 40 XS,Sigma 170-500 APO, A 50 F2.0, Vivitar PKA 2x converter, Jessops PKA extension tubes. Samsung GX-10, 18-55.
Pentax Q + 01 + 02 +03
Pentax ME Super, MG, K1000, Cosina CS-1 (+auto attachment).
Various PK lenses.

gartmore

Link Posted 18/07/2013 - 23:15
I have the kiwi one without the tripod mount, because DA lenses have no aperture ring you cannot accurately set the aperture. You will notice that the adapter is designated PKA meaning it should be used with Pentax A series lenses ideally.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

MattMatic

Link Posted 19/07/2013 - 10:53
I have difficulty holding any lens hand-held with the Q!
Even a 50mm f/1.4 is still 275mm, and with such a shallow DoF it can be pretty tricky to focus accurately.

I bought a reasonably priced one that has its own aperture ring (crude and inaccurate as it is) and a small tripod mount. Have used it a few times, but not as much as I imagined I would

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

SteveF

Link Posted 19/07/2013 - 11:39
My experience exactly, Matt

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/07/2013 - 12:06
I have a cheap adapter too, it is pretty well built. There are some niche uses and some have indulged in very elaborate setups but I haven't yet seen any photo with adapted lenses that I would regard as particularly good. But it's quite fun to have a play every once in a while.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

gartmore

Link Posted 19/07/2013 - 13:55
I have offered an unconditional surrender and waiting for the 06 zoom to fall in price.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

MattMatic

Link Posted 19/07/2013 - 14:22
Quote:
I have offered an unconditional surrender and waiting for the 06 zoom to fall in price.

Ditto.
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

alfamelba

Link Posted 19/07/2013 - 21:51
Thanks for the advice. I would love the 06 tele-zoom, but for now I will get a cheap adapter to play with. On the advice that it is best to use a support for all lenses, I have decided to order one with a tripod mount as well as the aperture ring.

Thanks again, Andrew.
Pentax K-x, 18-55 DAL, 18-250 DA, 50-300 DA, Tamron 10-24 Di II, Pentax DA 40 XS,Sigma 170-500 APO, A 50 F2.0, Vivitar PKA 2x converter, Jessops PKA extension tubes. Samsung GX-10, 18-55.
Pentax Q + 01 + 02 +03
Pentax ME Super, MG, K1000, Cosina CS-1 (+auto attachment).
Various PK lenses.

sebas77

Link Posted 23/07/2013 - 10:51
well the adapter cannot substitute the 06..it is more to have some fun...Even though I do not own a 06, there are several limitation with the chinese adapter, which the most annoying is the electronic shutter and the rolling shutter artifacts.
All that said with my RJ adapter and the FA 80-320 I took nice photos of the moon.

btw I have a slightly off topic question...If I am not wrong with the Q lenses it is better to shoot at widest apertures to avoid refractions..it seems that this is not true with the K lenses...can someone confirm this?

SnapperSteve

Link Posted 23/07/2013 - 14:55
I too have recently picked up a Q with 02 lens from SRS & would like to get a K mount adaptor. (Loving the camera by the way!)

My question is, has anybody found a UK seller of the adaptor with both aperture ring & tripod foot?

I have searched all the usual places (eBay, Amazon etc) but only found it being sold by jinfinance from China (about £30).

Has anybody bought one from him? If so, how long did it take to arrive? & did you get clobbered with import VAT?

I don't mind the £6 VAT so much, it's the £8 the P.O. charge on top to collect it from you that bugs me!

Thanks in advance
Smile! You could be on camera!

sebas77

Link Posted 23/07/2013 - 15:15
RJ Adapter is the one you are looking for...not that the aperture ring is very useful... I got one from jinfinance yes...I do not think they will charge the VAT honestly, when the price is so cheap they do not really bother, I suppose.
Last Edited by sebas77 on 23/07/2013 - 15:17

SnapperSteve

Link Posted 23/07/2013 - 16:33
Thanks sebas, it looks like he's the only seller of the RJ version then, I don't suppose you remember how long it took to come do you?

I know the aperture ring isn't great, but if I'm correct, I think DA lenses will only work at min. aperture without it.

I think its pot luck with customs & depends on the price declared by the seller, If you do get caught for VAT its not usually a big deal until the P.O. charge is added, then it can be dearer than buying from a UK seller, but looks like there is not much choice for this item.

Thanks again
Smile! You could be on camera!

sebas77

Link Posted 23/07/2013 - 16:48
I often order from China...never paid anything so far...UK border is quite permissive

dcweather

Link Posted 25/07/2013 - 14:40
DrOrloff wrote:
I have a cheap adapter too, it is pretty well built. There are some niche uses and some have indulged in very elaborate setups but I haven't yet seen any photo with adapted lenses that I would regard as particularly good. But it's quite fun to have a play every once in a while.

----------------------------------------
I think good in the sense that there is no other way of getting 1750mm without the even more complex digiscoping. Very dependent on the lens but works well with the DA* 300. Amazing for wildlife videos from a distance.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcweather/9001520562/

Might take a while to load but worth it I think!
and.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcweather/8620325730/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcweather/8531387957/

etc.

I've compared to cropping 300mm to same and it is superior.
Just my thoughts.
Dave

gartmore

Link Posted 26/07/2013 - 09:33
I have bought from them, about a week and no duty
Ken
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.