ThinkTANK Digital Holster bags

R o b

Link Posted 08/07/2008 - 12:08
Anyone got one of these?

I'm looking for something to protect my camera when in my hillwalking rucksack, and ideally be able to have it on a belt or round my neck too.

The digital holster looked good as it might be able to take the camera and 16-50mm with hood, then unzip and take the camera with the 300mm lens instead.

Anyone any thoughts on ThinkTANK bags, or suggestions for other bags I should consider?

Thanks,

Robert.

beakynet

Link Posted 08/07/2008 - 12:21
Yes, I have the 40. I find it very good, however, there are times that the small outside pocket is just not enough, however, I too like the idea of having it on a belt, though have not tried it.

The 40 fits my K10 + grip and 50-135 with a little room to spare. I even think it takes it with the hood on properly with the extension unzipped. One thing to note, the zipped extension section does not have any protective padding so the end of a very long lens might be susectable to hard knocks; shouldn't he a problem with the hood in place (reversed) though.

There is a seperate all-weather cover that comes with it, leaving this out gives an additional velcro pocket inside.

It is very well made and seems that it can take the knocks.

I like LowePro bags in general, but they didn't seem to have anything to compare.

Kata might be the only other ones worth looking at.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

Helpful

jimmoore

Link Posted 08/07/2008 - 12:41
Have a look at the Tamrac Velocity Sling Pack

I have the Tamrac Velocity 7, that will take my K10 with a 55-300 fitted with room for 2 similar sized lenses. It is very convenient to use and doesn’t look like a camera bag.

Jim

chirpy

Link Posted 08/07/2008 - 17:18
I use this Lowepro Toploader which fits my K20D+300mm DA, or K20D+180mm Macro, or even the Tamron SP 300mm/f2.8. It uses internal velcro supports so yu can fit more stuff at the bottom or use the outside pocket. Also has an All-Weather cover.
Jonathan

Macro & Wildlife Photography

R o b

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 16:30
Thanks for the helpful replies. In the end I've decided to go with the digital holster 30 as it's the lightest and least bulky - ideal to carry with me into the mountains in my walking rucksack, hopefully.

Thanks to beakynet in particular for making me realise I was looking at the external dimensions not internal. That could have been an expensive mistake.

Thanks,

Robert.

PS I clicked on the "Mark as Helpful" button on beakynet's post as an experiment with this new forum. It turns his post green for me, not sure what it does for everyone else.

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 17:32
Quote:
PS I clicked on the "Mark as Helpful" button on beakynet's post as an experiment with this new forum. It turns his post green for me, not sure what it does for everyone else.

That's the idea. It then means anyone else coming along can see the really helpful posts if they're speed reading threads. The feature should be only used sparingly or the whole thread will be lit up and everyone will be complaining about garish colours
So the idea is to mark the post out of the whole thread that was the most useful.

Unlocker

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 17:38
Is it just me?

I cannot see a 'Mark as Helpful' button, only a 'Quote this post button' and beakynet's post has not turned green!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

hefty1

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 18:07
Not just you - I can't see the button, nor is anything marked in green (or any other colour) on this page. Maybe the option's only visible to the thread starter?
Joining the Q

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 18:12
Quote:
I cannot see a 'Mark as Helpful' button, only a 'Quote this post button' and beakynet's post has not turned green!

Only moderators or OPs (original posters) can see and select the Mark as Helpful option. Have a look at a thread you've started to see and use the feature.

Unlocker

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 18:28
Peter Bargh wrote:
Quote:

That's the idea. It then means anyone else coming along can see the really helpful posts if they're speed reading threads.

Anyone else or OP? if anyone else, it isn't working.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

Malo1961

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 18:32
Peter Bargh wrote:
Quote:

Only moderators or OPs (original posters) can see and select the Mark as Helpful option. Have a look at a thread you've started to see and use the feature.

So basically it does the same as the "good old sticky" button?
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 18/07/2008 - 18:33
Quote:
Anyone else or OP? if anyone else, it isn't working.

Is it now? I think Rob just tried it and turned it off again...I've turned it green now. Can you see it?

edit...actually scrap that - It goes green but then when I posted it didn't stay green...another bug. I'll report it.
Last Edited by Peter Bargh on 18/07/2008 - 18:35

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 21/07/2008 - 10:34
Should be fixed now, so if you look at the second post (the most helpful one) it is green
Last Edited by Peter Bargh on 21/07/2008 - 10:35

hefty1

Link Posted 21/07/2008 - 10:44
It certainly is! I see what you mean now...
Joining the Q

R o b

Link Posted 25/07/2008 - 13:30
I've got the bag now, and it seems pretty good, although rather big. The 300mm lens fits in with hood on without having to fully unzip the bottom part. If they'd made one halfway between the 20 and 30 it would probably have been better for me, but at least it gives me room for expansion.

I bought a lens bag at the same time which is perhaps slightly too small - I can't win! Of course it would have been good to have a local shop to buy from, but no such luck.

Robert.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.