The Truth

kh1234567890
Posted 10/08/2014 - 12:20 Link
Darkmunk wrote:
I've been seeking-out high-speed film since 1980 just for the grain and now I routinely add noise to digital images that I feel are too clean.
Unfortunately digital noise is not the same as film grain.
davidtrout
Posted 10/08/2014 - 12:22 Link
If that's the case then all he has to do is click on the link to find out.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
bforbes
MrB
Posted 10/08/2014 - 12:37 Link
Quote: "No one is making a bad camera or a bad lens or a bad light or a bad camera bag or a bad sensor" - this seems to sum up his "rant", and I think that the principle point there is difficult to contest.

However, I would add that, considering aspects such as: what one wants from the equipment, what one is trying to achieve, how much one can spend, and when comparing similar items, some of those things might be less good than others.

Cheers.
Philip
fritzthedog
Posted 10/08/2014 - 12:55 Link
Ah, one of our perennial favorite debates.

Any of you fancy swapping your shiny new K3 for my dusty old *ist D L that I have in a cupboard somewhere? I promise it will not in any way diminish the quality of your output.

If you are a great photographer - your images will still be great

If you are not a great photographer - well, lets face it, there is little point you owning that K3

There are few things as black and white as some of the great images taken by great and not so great photographers.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
McGregNi
Posted 10/08/2014 - 13:04 Link
kh1234567890 wrote:
Darkmunk wrote:
I've been seeking-out high-speed film since 1980 just for the grain and now I routinely add noise to digital images that I feel are too clean.
Unfortunately digital noise is not the same as film grain.
No its not. The only images where some noise seems beneficial is in decent light and artificially added ... Then it is just another filter 'effect', nothing to do with the debate about the camera / photographer equation.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 10/08/2014 - 13:06
Darkmunk
Posted 10/08/2014 - 13:34 Link
Quote:
nothing to do with the debate about the camera / photographer equation
Nigel, I posted that bit specifically in response to your assertion that:
Quote:
digital noise does nothing in low light to enhance an image, its just a scourge to be reduced
I was just pointing out (rather badly) that that's just an opinion. If you don't mess around with the noise and smudge it around, then it is very like film grain and perfectly pleasant side-effect of pushing the envelope.
But my main point was that I don't really agree with the main thrust of the argument. There are indeed bad cameras. A good camera won't transform a bad photographer, but it will add to his ability to capture difficult images, say, very contrasty, or poor light.
A good photographer can always go a bit further, whatever he has in his hands, but he's not going to lumber himself with something like a WG-3 if he doesn't have to.
johnriley
Posted 10/08/2014 - 13:46 Link
Quote:
but he's not going to lumber himself with something like a WG-3 if he doesn't have to
Aha! A challenge to see what we can do. Does this prove or disprove the argument?
Comment Image

That's a WG-3 photo, so is it OK or not?
Best regards, John
Darkmunk
Posted 10/08/2014 - 14:41 Link
That doesn't prove anything really.
It's not a particularly challenging subject - all the time in the world to compose your shot, good light to one side, everything on the same focal plane (not the usual lottery of where it's going to focus), bit contrasty and predictably, the shadows have filled-in. Sky is starting to look a bit smudgy/grainy - wouldn't want to look too closely at that or heaven forbid, introduce a bit of sun!
johnriley
Posted 10/08/2014 - 14:46 Link
Fair enough, will try harder! If I find something more challenging I'll have a go and post it, but that's not really what I use the WG-3 for, so it may take a while.
Best regards, John
Posted 10/08/2014 - 18:53 Link
I know where Darkmunk is coming from with the WG3, I take one away working, really don't have the weight allowance nor space for taking much else so chose the WG3 for its ruggedness (another discussion I'm sure) but this shot was so much nicer when seeing it live especially with the colours that were there at the time

Comment Image


As for the original topic, I am more than capable of taking a lowsy image with my K3 as I could with the K-r, but for those that I do nail with the new camera they do definitely have something over what the k-r could kick out when I nailed the shot with that, so I do agree, but for me that odd 1% (in my case) when it is all there the kit makes a difference.


don't know why this refuses to rotate grrrrrr
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone
Edited by InFESTation: 10/08/2014 - 18:54
bwlchmawr
Posted 10/08/2014 - 19:19 Link
In general I agree with the "'tis the workman not the tool" argument up to a point.

BUT

Difficult lighting conditions (very little light or ultra-high contrast, for example) will quickly find out some cameras.

What do you want to do with the final image? A large landscape print to hang on the wall will look a lot better taken on David Storm's K3 than on my venerable £60.00 K100. If, like me, all you do is to show image on the net then it's much less important.

Taking pictures of things that move. My DSLRs simply are not capable of taking photographs of fast moving aircraft at air shows. From reading posts on this site I know there are camera/lens combinations which are.

But, to be honest, I don't do much pixel peeping which is why I left MX-1, K5 etc. safely locked away and happily took my £50.00 CX5 out for a walk this weekend.
Comment Image
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Smeggypants
Posted 10/08/2014 - 21:14 Link
Someone who claims to have had "Five years as an Editor in Chief, two years as a wedding photographer, a half a year at Magnum Photos, and two years as a working photojournalist" should know that tools do make a difference.

Or maybe this guy took all his wedding and photojournalist photos on a mobile phone cam.

The article is nothing more than the author projecting his own hang ups. The fact he needs to qualify his diatribe with "Five years as an Editor in Chief, two years as a wedding photographer, a half a year at Magnum Photos, and two years as a working photojournalist" in the first place ( and no I'm not prostrating myself in awe with ) gives us some clue as to the not so hidden inspiration for the article.

We all know the person pressing the button determines how good the photo is, but then we also all know that a mobile phone cam is no good for professional sports photography.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
petrochemist
Posted 10/08/2014 - 21:48 Link
davidtrout wrote:
If that's the case then all he has to do is click on the link to find out.
David

PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
I've often followed blind links such as this to find they go to a video clip that exceeds my allotted bandwidth. Generally now I don't bother with them. So I quite agree some description of the link would be a benefit.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
pentaxian450
Posted 11/08/2014 - 02:43 Link
Tools do make a difference.

Try using an Imperial wrench on a Metric nut, and you'll quickly find out that it does.

Same thing goes for cameras. A good 24 mpix will always outperform a good 6 mpix camera.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo