Help choosing budget tripod head

sebas77
Posted 12/08/2014 - 01:05 Link
Hi,

I have a triopo b-2, not too shabby, but I feel it doesn't hold well my k5 with a long lens like a 55-300mm.

I am pondering to buy a b-3, but the sirui k20x looks good as well.

What I hate about these ball head, is that, no matter how I try to tight it up, it seems always not firm enough.

If you have any suggestion in the range of 50-100 pounds, please tell me.
Edited by sebas77: 12/08/2014 - 01:07
percy
Posted 12/08/2014 - 06:33 Link
I don't have a lot of experience of tripod heads, but bought a Sirui G10 ball head for £66 earlier this year. I'm very pleased with it - it seems very well manufactured and I have no problems with it not being firm enough. I don't think you'd go far wrong with one.
swarf
Posted 12/08/2014 - 09:14 Link
I have a Red Snapper RSH 12 which cost c.£60. I'm very pleased with it. It holds my K-5ii with the 55-300 and an extender without any movement. It also moves very smoothly.

I've only had it for about 6 months, so I can't comment on its long term life - but so far, so very good!

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
RayB
Posted 12/08/2014 - 09:30 Link
I can recommend the Manfrotto ball-heads, will easily hold a gripped K5 with a big Sigma and bracket.
McGregNi
Posted 12/08/2014 - 09:50 Link
Check out Vanguard ... Top quality and great value.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
stub
Posted 12/08/2014 - 10:24 Link
I had this problem when I was using my K5ii and Sigma 150-500. Purchased the Manfrotto 498RC2. Problem gone away. Solid as a rock. Not the cheapest at approx. £70. But I highly recommend it. It can also pan too which some of the cheaper ballheads on the market cant do..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Edited by stub: 12/08/2014 - 10:27
LennyBloke
Posted 12/08/2014 - 10:34 Link
stub wrote:
I had this problem when I was using my K5ii and Sigma 150-500. Purchased the Manfrotto 498RC2. Problem gone away. Solid as a rock. Not the cheapest at approx. £70. But I highly recommend it. It can also pan too which some of the cheaper ballheads on the market cant do..
Another "like" for the Manfrotto 498RC2
LennyBloke
sebas77
Posted 12/08/2014 - 13:24 Link
Thanks for all the answers

Manfrotto looks cool, but it support "only" 8kg. My triopo has the same specifications, so I was looking for something more like 12kg.

I understand that Manfrotto build quality could be superior, so I may need to check it out.

The sirui G10, with is 18kg, looks more "safe"

Does what I say make any sense?
percy
Posted 12/08/2014 - 15:57 Link
The Sirui G10 I've got is just fine with my Sigma 100-300 mounted on it, and was perfectly alright with a friend's 150-500 on the one occasion I tried that.

I've never used the Manfrotto so couldn't comment on whether it's any better or not, and the Sirui is the only ball head I've had so my thoughts are just based on the impression that's made.
Edited by percy: 12/08/2014 - 16:00

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo