The new 645NII medium format bodied digital...
Posted 23/11/2006 - 13:55
Link
According to a PDF document I have, (PM me if you want a copy) it will be a Kodak KAF 18000CE sensor of 4904 x 3678 pixels measuring 55.1 mm diagonaly.
It is also suggested that the sensor will be interchangable with future sensors of greater pixel density, ultimately up to 30 megapixels.
It is also suggested that the sensor will be interchangable with future sensors of greater pixel density, ultimately up to 30 megapixels.
Posted 23/11/2006 - 14:01
Link
Tim,
I'm not sure that it will be interchangable... I got the impression that by the time they release the sensor will be up to 30Mp. Presumably they know the sensor is coming, and they've got some kind of module that will still fit and work.
If it's got the 22bit ADC of the K10D as well, it'll be a mighty fine piece of kit
Matt
I'm not sure that it will be interchangable... I got the impression that by the time they release the sensor will be up to 30Mp. Presumably they know the sensor is coming, and they've got some kind of module that will still fit and work.
If it's got the 22bit ADC of the K10D as well, it'll be a mighty fine piece of kit
Matt
Posted 23/11/2006 - 16:48
Link
Matt,
Check out the press release at http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2006/200646.html (scroll down a bit). Beginning at 18mp and moving upwards Start saving your pennies now.
Check out the press release at http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2006/200646.html (scroll down a bit). Beginning at 18mp and moving upwards Start saving your pennies now.
Posted 23/11/2006 - 17:18
Link
Tim, yes I saw that It was another website somewhere that said something to the effect of "by the time it is released, Pentax expect it to be approaching 30Mp" - hence my comment
Matt
Matt
Posted 23/11/2006 - 17:53
Link
It does all deepened on the accuricity of the word migrations, I think.
But I read it as "It'll be released as an 18Mp camera, and we'll carry on upgrading (updating) the model, until it reaches a maximum of 30Mp." I don't think you'll be able to increase the resolution of the chip in the camera you have, but you will be able to get a higher res, but otherwise same, basic camera.
Course, I could be wrong. Didn't Kodak have an 'upgradable' sensor in their DSLR? The problem is, when you upgrade the sensor, everything thing else needs upgrading to cope with the increased processing, storage etc.
Dan
But I read it as "It'll be released as an 18Mp camera, and we'll carry on upgrading (updating) the model, until it reaches a maximum of 30Mp." I don't think you'll be able to increase the resolution of the chip in the camera you have, but you will be able to get a higher res, but otherwise same, basic camera.
Course, I could be wrong. Didn't Kodak have an 'upgradable' sensor in their DSLR? The problem is, when you upgrade the sensor, everything thing else needs upgrading to cope with the increased processing, storage etc.
Dan
Posted 23/11/2006 - 18:13
Link
Just imagine how fantastic a design would be where the removable 645 insert was replaced by a digital module that included the CCD and its electronics...Then the module could be returned for upgrade as required, or even service-exchanged...
Best regards, John
Posted 23/11/2006 - 20:07
Link
There have been interchangable backs on cameras since the film era. I'd imagine that the upgrade on the 645II Digital would be similar. If you look at the photos of the back of the pre-production model there seem to be latches in just the right place for the unit that includes the back LCD screen to be removed...
Posted 25/11/2006 - 10:59
Link
Just catching up with the comments here... the photo of the pre-production model looked good to me from a handling perspective..
I go along with the assumption that the whole camera will be upgraded with time instead of interchangeable sensors, or backs (e.g. the Blad H1,2,3 is a very expensive product development route). I prefer the Canon 1Ds route with upgrades of the the whole camera and the ergonomics left 80% unchanged each time.
At 18MP how will the existing lens range cope? Is a 645 neg equivalent in resolution to a 2.5x15MP = 37.5MP sensor & the existing lens have a good chance of maintaining their use for digital work perhaps?
I go along with the assumption that the whole camera will be upgraded with time instead of interchangeable sensors, or backs (e.g. the Blad H1,2,3 is a very expensive product development route). I prefer the Canon 1Ds route with upgrades of the the whole camera and the ergonomics left 80% unchanged each time.
At 18MP how will the existing lens range cope? Is a 645 neg equivalent in resolution to a 2.5x15MP = 37.5MP sensor & the existing lens have a good chance of maintaining their use for digital work perhaps?
Always use protection - a lens hood
Posted 19/02/2007 - 02:23
Link
By the time the camera comes out I think they will have moved on to 31 megapixels as standard for the camera. I expect they will use this sensor.
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/SENSORS/name/KAF-31600_product
Would be lovely. And hopefully my first ever digital camera - that is unless they announce they are making a 67 digital body
Chris
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/SENSORS/name/KAF-31600_product
Would be lovely. And hopefully my first ever digital camera - that is unless they announce they are making a 67 digital body
Chris
Chris Willson
www.travel67.com
www.travel67.com
Posted 03/04/2007 - 17:01
Link
Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to the price when launched?
Of course, Pentax Uk could sponsor a competition with the closest guestimate winning the beast!!
Of course, Pentax Uk could sponsor a competition with the closest guestimate winning the beast!!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


16 posts
19 years
When (not an 'if' anymore) Pentax release the 18MP+ 645NII body based camera next year, what will be the sensors dimensions?
If anyone know's, please let me know.
I suspect that I best keep looking for a s/h 33-55mm zoom...