The Leaving Do
Posted 15/06/2017 - 09:13
Link
Some lovely expressions captured there Nigel
A few things I noticed: the opening image I would crop the bottom where the glasses are. A few I think look a little flat and in need of contrast. The third from bottom image I think the shadows have been recovered too far under the brim of the gentleman's hat.
A few things I noticed: the opening image I would crop the bottom where the glasses are. A few I think look a little flat and in need of contrast. The third from bottom image I think the shadows have been recovered too far under the brim of the gentleman's hat.
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 15/06/2017 - 11:25
Link
I like the facial expressions as well. As Gareth, one or two are a bit flat; no 2 and no 6 could do with a bit of 'punch' added IMO. Composition is great!
Andy
Posted 15/06/2017 - 17:09
Link
Agree with Gareth here , the first image is godd but a crop would improve it.
The 4th really captures the character well.
The 4th really captures the character well.
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 15/06/2017 - 17:47
Link
well knowing our retiring man there I think he would prefer his beers left in!. But I'll certainly do a cropped version too, thanks for the tip, it will bring the focus in to the character more.
Thanks for the points about the contrast ...I can try some more pop with the processing. These were actually from camera JPEGs, with the Portrait pre-set and default contrast, and so they did not go through the Sagelight RAW software, which usually does it's stuff to my DNGs automatically, and certainly adds punch, so I can boost things in PhotoShop more with these.
The challenge here was the lighting, with absolutely nothing inside the canopy, just awful deep shadow and the glaring brightness outside, so I've tried to limit contrast and I pitched the flash exposures low, both for contrast reasons as well as the black skin tones. I don't think my AF-549FGZII has ever experienced such a lot of twisting and spinning of the head constantly in such a short period before!
Thanks for the points about the contrast ...I can try some more pop with the processing. These were actually from camera JPEGs, with the Portrait pre-set and default contrast, and so they did not go through the Sagelight RAW software, which usually does it's stuff to my DNGs automatically, and certainly adds punch, so I can boost things in PhotoShop more with these.
The challenge here was the lighting, with absolutely nothing inside the canopy, just awful deep shadow and the glaring brightness outside, so I've tried to limit contrast and I pitched the flash exposures low, both for contrast reasons as well as the black skin tones. I don't think my AF-549FGZII has ever experienced such a lot of twisting and spinning of the head constantly in such a short period before!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 16/06/2017 - 01:35
Link
On the whole I like the images. .. As a K7 owner myself I like to see the results other owners produce. Personally I would like to have seen you use a faster lens to seperate the subject a bit more.. and lower the saturation a touch.. But on the whole I dont think your collegue will complain too much...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 16/06/2017 - 02:35
Link
Yes, I would like to have a wide aperture autofocus lens, ideally a zoom, for this sort of thing, it would help you're right Stub.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


5986 posts
14 years
Surrey,
England
All with the K7, D FA28-105mm, Pentax AF-540FGZII (On-Camera P-TTL), mostly shot with ISO400, F5.6 - F8, 1/90th - 180th sec ......
Thanks for your views, and any discussions on event photography! (questions often seem to come up about this situation)
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver