The last straw ?

chrissinkpen

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 14:20
This weeks amateur photographer has a group test of "mid range £500 dslr's" and does not include the KX.
Needless to say I put it straight back on the shelf where it belongs!
Regards
Chris

johnriley

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 14:33
I did notice that.
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 14:37
I thought that the previous week's old lens supplement was even more bizarre - only one Pentax lens mentioned and that was a Dental Macro. No need to go into the glories and compatabilities here.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

K10D

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 14:43
A publication for Amateur Photographer's, by non photo enthusiastic amateur publishers.....

Don't read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel fat

Don't read photographic magazines, they will only make you feel inferior

Regards

johnriley

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 14:58
I think those supplements are dreadful - incredibly superficial and disorganised.

Somebody needs to produce a "proper" photographic magazine. As an example I would suggest the earlier Jack Scofield edited issues of Photo Technique. Bright, young and enthusiastic and not afraid to go into things in proper detail.

I realise that a new magazine would have to be updated from that in terms of style, but I don't see anyone even trying just now. And much as I like the interactive nature of the web, I still feel a need for the printed page which can be stored and used as reference material. Web based information lasts as long as the server is active.

I doubt that we will have much access to 100 year old web information when the time comes, but we can have 100 year old magazines at our fingertips now.
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 15:26
A good point about Photo Technique, Jack is now the Grauniad's compter editor. I must say I have come to like Digital Photo with inspiring portfolio images and a range of technique articles for a wide range of abilities.

I still think the best 70s/80s mag was Zoom.

One of the best online mags if you like photojournalism is Digital Journalist
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 30/04/2010 - 15:29

johnriley

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 15:29
Zoom was stupendous, but perhaps not a general photo magazine?
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 15:30
johnriley wrote:
Zoom was stupendous, but perhaps not a general photo magazine?

Well you know I'm more interested in photographs than cameras
Ken

Don

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 15:44
if ever there was a time to launch a new mag, now is a good one.
The ipad is shaking some things up and interactive multimedia publications require no paper or distribution networks. so let's do it!
whenever a market gets a shake up some older firms get lost in transition and new talent finds an opening!

Who wants to start a new online only magazine?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

johnriley

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 15:47
No-one here, there's the best one just next door - ePHOTOzine!
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 16:15
well there is that... lol!

Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

chrissinkpen

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 18:05
gartmore wrote:
I thought that the previous week's old lens supplement was even more bizarre - only one Pentax lens mentioned and that was a Dental Macro. No need to go into the glories and compatabilities here.

I did notice that too,I couldn't believe it!!
One lens from Pentax! Probably the best quality, most affordable back compatible lens system out there.
The magazine is a sham!!

Regards
Chris

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 18:09
Are they making a new Dental Macro or was that the old M series one?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

nass

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 20:12
I've only been an AP subscriber since Christmas but I'm very disappointed with it. Nothing to do with a pro or anti Pentax thing - more because there are only a very few pages of stuff to help me improve or learn anything other than basic bland photoshop things, the rest is either advertising or features comparing cameras that I'll never buy because I already have one.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/04/2010 - 22:34
K10D wrote:

Don't read photographic magazines, they will only make you feel inferior

I think that's why I've only bought a couple of them, aside from the fact that they never give Pentax any space. I pick up a magazine and see heavily post-produced images which I know I haven't a hope of emulating and don't really see the attraction in.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.