The artistic eye
Posted 15/06/2008 - 20:55
Link
I didn't know anything past 'Family Snaps' until I joined a Camera Club - then I saw such things as you are discussing (in the 1950's - but a rusty chain is still good subject in 2008 )
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Posted 15/06/2008 - 23:47
Link
Quote:
Before you can take good photographs you have to know what makes a good photograph, go to galleries, libraries, even magazines some of the most creative photography is in advertising.
When you see something you like, just keep it in mind for when your in a similar situation, then copy it ruthlessly.
This site is full of 'good' (actually better than good) photographs and is a starting point. Notice how many have people in them.
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/
After a while you get so many ideas in your head that there is hardly any situation that doesn't excite you into taking pictures.
The best pictures tend to start with an idea inside your head, most people do it the opposite way round, they react to what they see, so their pictures have no purpose.
ChrisJ
I was reading this thread, formulating a response, and Chris had written it for meBefore you can take good photographs you have to know what makes a good photograph, go to galleries, libraries, even magazines some of the most creative photography is in advertising.
When you see something you like, just keep it in mind for when your in a similar situation, then copy it ruthlessly.
This site is full of 'good' (actually better than good) photographs and is a starting point. Notice how many have people in them.
http://www.masters-of-photography.com/
After a while you get so many ideas in your head that there is hardly any situation that doesn't excite you into taking pictures.
The best pictures tend to start with an idea inside your head, most people do it the opposite way round, they react to what they see, so their pictures have no purpose.
ChrisJ
Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 16/06/2008 - 09:07
Link
Just like to say this is a brilliant thread and wholeheartedly agree with the comments and ideas about looking harder to see things. There is far too much discussion on "gear" on web fora, it's highly refreshing to see people discussing how you "see" pictures, rather than the pixel peeping so often seen elsewhere.
I have a good friend who often says "there's nothing to take pictures of" and when I suggest things pretty much along the lines of things that have already been said above, a light bulb goes on (briefly). He, and his wife, have rarely been exposed to anything beyond family snapshots and landscapes lacking a point of interest, so he has difficulty seeing the potential of what is all around. I'll take a picture and show him, and he'll say "I'd have never thought of that".
In order to learn what can be done, you have to look at the work of others, take on board the comments and ideas of others, When you look at books and magazines, don't just look at the "product", look at the photos, think about how they've been done. Take inspiration, say "I'll have a go at something like that".
Super thread, keep it up.
Duncan
I have a good friend who often says "there's nothing to take pictures of" and when I suggest things pretty much along the lines of things that have already been said above, a light bulb goes on (briefly). He, and his wife, have rarely been exposed to anything beyond family snapshots and landscapes lacking a point of interest, so he has difficulty seeing the potential of what is all around. I'll take a picture and show him, and he'll say "I'd have never thought of that".
In order to learn what can be done, you have to look at the work of others, take on board the comments and ideas of others, When you look at books and magazines, don't just look at the "product", look at the photos, think about how they've been done. Take inspiration, say "I'll have a go at something like that".
Super thread, keep it up.
Duncan
Posted 16/06/2008 - 09:37
Link
And of course this neatly gets us back to the value of the weekly competition. What I find really fascinating is the way I think I can see an obvious winner and the judge chooses something quite different and it's clear others broadly agree.
Mike
Mike
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3241 posts
18 years
Worcestershire
There's also http://www.onexposure.net/?photos=latest-additions but I went off it as they seem to prefer highly processed and in my view over sharpened images but the quality is more consistently higher.
But taking photographs is the key. I came across a small grave yesterday and I spent 15 minutes and 12 shots trying to get it right - very simple thing, broken wooden cross, hand written dedication on card plus some plastic flowers. With film I couldn't have afforded to do that but digital just buy more cards!
Mike