Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

The 'bird has flown...

Lubbyman
Posted 12/07/2022 - 21:56 Link
In this case, it's a ladybird that has flown. And this is what it left behind - the remains of the pupa after the adult has emerged. Probably a harlequin ladybird, their larvae were crawling around before the pupa appeared. With a bit of luck, the ladybird will find its way to my runner beans and eat its way through the aphids which are breeding faster than I can remove them.

Taken with K3 + Laowa 25mm macro @ 3x magnification. Not cropped. A stack of 21 shots, about 1/4mm between shots - just about adequate for the tiny depth of field. First attempt to use this lens, which arrived from bwp_pentax today. So thanks, Ben, it's going to be fun!

Thoughts, comments etc. welcome as usual.

Comment Image

Steve
Spad
Posted 12/07/2022 - 22:29 Link
Unfortunately I can't swear on here....

SO...

Effing Brilliant!!!
The Legendary Terry Pratchett once said:
At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....
JohnX
Posted 13/07/2022 - 07:02 Link
Fascinating! What did you use/do to adjust focus?
Lubbyman
Posted 13/07/2022 - 11:50 Link
Thanks, folks.

JohnX - Adjusting focus was done by moving the camera along a focusing rack. I've got a couple of Novoflex Castel racks, not the cheapest but very good quality. The racks are fitted together as a cross, one arm for sideways motion, one for forward and back. The camera is mounted on top and the whole lot is mounted on a geared head which is clamped to a kitchen work surface. Forward and back motion is done manually via a knob on the rack. Precise control is achieved via a Novoflex Fine Adjustment Handle attached to the knob (more cost, but worth it). Markings on the fine adjustment handle make 1/4 mm movement of the camera easy. With care and patience, movements as small as 1/12mm are possible. If you want to see what crazy macro enthusiasts can do when spurring each other on, search for the thread 'Penny macro contest - revisited'. Coker and I were having a bit of fun towards the end of the thread, if I remember correctly he could get finer focus adjustment steps than me but I could get greater magnification.

Steve
JohnX
Posted 13/07/2022 - 13:13 Link
Thanks Steve. I'll use the word again - fascinating!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.