Testing the Tamron

LiamD

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 19:46
Hi all,

I received my 70-300 Tamron lens yesterday afternoon (courtesy of Jessops.. see one of the longest threads ever for more info.. ) and took it out for a quick test drive today... cracking little lens.. well worth the money.

These three are at short, medium and long end.. all hand held. Adjusted levels, hint of saturation and a bit of USM. I've deliberately not touched the CA, as this was a test and that seemed to be one of the concerns of this particular lens. If you look closely at the lower snowline on the roof of the barn, you can see a bit, and there is a some on the twiggy type plants in the foreground of the horse piccy, and underneath the horse's belly. Frankly, if that's as bad as it will get in normal use, it's a couple of seconds to get rid of it, and that I'm more than happy with. I took a couple of other shots knowing that I'd get some CA, and I did.. nothing worse than the FA 100-300 IIRC. (I'll do some side by side tests when I get the chance).

Admittedly it was a bright afternoon, but every shot I took at the longest end of the zoom range (200-300) was pin sharp, hand held. It's very nicely balanced, so all in all, I'm a happy chappy.

As always, you're welcome to rip them apart critically..

ist* DL | Tamron 70-300 @ 70mm | f9.5 @ 1/350 | ISO 200

ist* DL | Tamron 70-300 @ 220mm | f8 @ 1/750 | ISO 200

ist* DL | Tamron 70-300 @ 300mm | f8 @ 1/500 | ISO 200

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

ttk

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 19:54
Nice set, Nought wrong with that lens, enjoy.
Tel,

loskeran

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 19:57
Looks like you have a good copy. Nothing bad on images

LiamD

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 20:01
Cheers Terry,

It'll definitely get some hard use.. make a change from wide angle landscapes..

I've got some snowy ones from yesterday to post, but I've got a darts match in about 5 minutes, so I'll do that later.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

philstaff

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 20:03
Lovely photos it's a great value for money this lens in my opinion.
Ian

jackitec

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 20:22
My favorite lens in my bag.

PeteWelshPhotography

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 21:43
I was really happy with this lens until I tried a few bird shots I found I had really bad cyan/red edges when shooting the bird with a bright overcast sky in the background.. So much so I took it back to jessops who offered to refund my money.. I didnt want to get a refund as I was very pleased with the lens in other circumstances..So I asked if the assistant would test the replacement lens for me .. He pointed the lens at a branch in a tree outside the shop and he was horrified at the amount of fringing on it..
Your pictures are good but if you look at the last one of the horse you also have the fringing in the branches of the tree on the right hand side of your picture where there is a lot of contrast between sky and branches above the horses rear end..
This is a good lens for the money but personally I was very disappointed but only due to the fringing as I mainly wanted it for wildlife/bird shots.
*Edit* I must add that the shots I took were on fairly dull days with pretty wide aperture
Regards
Pete
Pentax K7 and K5 and several black tubey things with magnifying glass in that twist around and move in and out - to be honest I am not sure exactly what I have. Will list the proper names one day..
Last Edited by PeteWelshPhotography on 03/02/2009 - 21:48

loskeran

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 21:50
PeteWelshPhotography wrote:
I was really happy with this lens until I tried a few bird shots I found I had really bad cyan/red edges when shooting the bird with a bright overcast sky in the background.. So much so I took it back to jessops who offered to refund my money.. I didnt want to get a refund as I was very pleased with the lens in other circumstances..So I asked if the assistant would test the replacement lens for me .. He pointed the lens at a branch in a tree outside the shop and he was horrified at the amount of fringing on it..
Your pictures are good but if you look at the last one of the horse you also have the fringing in the branches of the tree on the right hand side of your picture where there is a lot of contrast between sky and branches above the horses rear end..
This is a good lens for the money but personally I was very disappointed but only due to the fringing as I mainly wanted it for wildlife/bird shots.
Regards
Pete

I have the same problem with my 70-300 Tamron.
I use a Sigma 70-300 APO that is fine, but more money.
I also have the Tamron 70-200 f2.8, that is stunning but it costs, on the K20 I can crop into the image without loss.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 03/02/2009 - 22:33
I have a 2 year old model of this lens.

On my old K110d the results are superb, but on the K200d they seem a little lacking at 300mm.

I feel the lens suits the 6meg semsor well but doesn't work as well on the 10meg ones.

Nice shots by the way.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.