Test (water as a lens) - PP

HarisF1

Link Posted 25/10/2021 - 23:35
Here are a few versions of an image I shot today. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be in terms of understanding composition and framing so any kind of comments would be useful.

1. Mono, tight crop

2. Colour, tight crop

3. Colour (tweaked), tight crop

4. Colour, wider crop

5. Mono, wider crop

Comments welcome.
All the gear with no idea

bforbes

Link Posted 26/10/2021 - 13:55
Just a thought?

Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Helpful

HarisF1

Link Posted 26/10/2021 - 14:14
Interesting, I hadn't thought of this. It looks a lot more abstract this way, thank you.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 26/10/2021 - 14:26
What lovely results from a somewhat 'left field' of thought. I must admit to liking the blue to the B&W. All still fabby though. I also liked bforbes' contribution as well.
Be well, stay safe.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 26/10/2021 - 14:29

pschlute

Link Posted 26/10/2021 - 16:42
I like them all. How about a tighter crop ?
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 26/10/2021 - 16:42

Lubbyman

Link Posted 26/10/2021 - 17:01
Good for a first attempt .

The bforbes version works best because the image in the water drop is immediately recognisable so the eye is drawn to it. With the original version, some thought is needed before recognising what it is.

Even in the bforbes version, I find that there's too much competing for attention. Would it have been possible to get the water drop with the image located in front of the dark part of the background so it is framed by the dark, point bit? Or having the drop a bit further to the left, so it's half way between the rising dark bits of the background and therefore more symmetrical?

Looking forward to seeing the result of the next band of rain moving in from the Atlantic!

Steve

HarisF1

Link Posted 26/10/2021 - 17:22
Lubbyman wrote:
Good for a first attempt .

The bforbes version works best because the image in the water drop is immediately recognisable so the eye is drawn to it. With the original version, some thought is needed before recognising what it is.

Even in the bforbes version, I find that there's too much competing for attention. Would it have been possible to get the water drop with the image located in front of the dark part of the background so it is framed by the dark, point bit? Or having the drop a bit further to the left, so it's half way between the rising dark bits of the background and therefore more symmetrical?

Looking forward to seeing the result of the next band of rain moving in from the Atlantic!

Steve

Lovely, I'll try and think more about light/dark in future shots. Lets have a bit more rain then

HarisF1

Link Posted 26/10/2021 - 17:52
pschlute wrote:
I like them all. How about a tighter crop ?

Here are a few crops - finding it difficult because of how some drops are much brighter than others/distracting.

6. Colour

7. Mono

8. Colour, inverted, tighter

9. Colour, inverted, tightest crop

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.