Terns

Blythman

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 19:06
Well, after my Puffins, and Seals how about some Terns. All taken on Inner Farne on Father's Day. Any feedback most welcome.

The Sandwich Tern a big crop with the K3 and DA*300. The other with the K5iis and 18-135, and a bit of HSS fill flash.

Arctic Tern by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Sandwich Tern by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Arctic Tern Chick in the grass by Alan Wennington, on Flickr

Arctic Tern by Alan Wennington, on Flickr
Alan

PPG
Flickr

pmcquail

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 21:47
Nice shots.
Not the easiest of birds to photograph well.
K5, K200d (IR @ 720NM), X-5

davidstorm

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 23:46
Nice and sharp, they demonstrate a lot of expertise. The most impressive aspect for me is the exposure control which is absolutely spot on, impressive for a difficult subject.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Blythman

Link Posted 07/07/2015 - 09:47
Thanks guys - much appreciated. Nothing particularly original here.

I do have a big canvas of one on my wall taken when I was a little less experienced. There is no catch light in the eye. It annoys me, and I keep threatening it with a dab of Tippex. There never seems to be a catch light with terns, so my aim here was to catch similar shots to those I've taken previously, but add a bit of flash to put that glint in the eye.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

jvs

Link Posted 07/07/2015 - 13:56
The catchlight certainly adds the finishing touch, Alan - these are super.
I remember your comment a couple of years ago when I posted what I thought then were pretty decent tern shots for a first go - you were complimentary in general , but asked "Where are the eyes?" Next time I get up there, I'll be sure to take a flash unit!
John

Blythman

Link Posted 07/07/2015 - 14:17
Just had a look at my feedback. Just as well I've got the catch light in my 2 close ups. I had no chance on the Sandwich Tern which was quite some distance away.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

jvs

Link Posted 07/07/2015 - 14:57
Left a reply to your comment too. Must admit I would have had a chuckle if the eyes had been totally missing! Black eyes in a black cap don't exactly jump out on a dull day.
John

Stuey

Link Posted 07/07/2015 - 22:28
I'd be a very happy to if I had taken these
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Blythman

Link Posted 13/07/2015 - 11:19
Thanks Stu
Alan

PPG
Flickr

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 13/07/2015 - 17:59
I love these birds. We don't see them round here but I had a wonderful day earlier in the year when we visited a colony in Anglesey.
Super pictures.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

walt

Link Posted 14/07/2015 - 22:21
I like the arctic terns shots especially the first and the chick. I suspect you were being dive bombed by the parents while taking that one though. I keep meaning to return with a digital camera and tried last year but when I arrived the sailings were cancelled as they couldn't land! and that was June. Must try harder!
Walt
My newer photos google photos
My older Flickr photos Flickr
Even older ones Picasa
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.