TDF Stage 1

fritzthedog

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 19:00
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had been lucky enough to secure a place in the team car for the start of the TDF. Amazingly - I shall now also be following the race by helicopter in the afternoon

Just received my itinerary:

9:00am: Access to “Village Depart” program Leeds Millennium Square
11:30am: Departure on the race track before the riders in the official VIP Car
12:00pm: Official departure of the race
1:00pm: Picnic basket lunch, transfer to the Helicopter departure zone & flight over the race
3:30pm: Arrival at the VIP area located near the finish line with open bar and entertainment
4:00pm: Stage finish with a celebratory champagne cocktail

I wonder how much gear I can carry in the helicopter

Have also been asked to host the event for my company at the start of stage 2 on Sunday at York race course including introducing VIP guests to riders - access to the Teams village etc

Half tempted to set the K5IIs to 'auto' and get 'averaged' shots rather than risk messing up in the heat of the moment - any thoughts on the pros/cons of this approach?

I need to be careful how much gear I take so shall be limiting myself to the K5IIs, 10-20 plus 17-70 or 50-150 and may slip the 35Ltd in a pocket

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Northgrain

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 19:26
Not listening, not listening, not listening

Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 19:39
Excitement! Great opportunity Carl - the only thing I know about aerial photography, and helicopters in particular, is vibrations and movement. So the 'priority' (good word) is shutter speed. If you go for P mode, then make sure your 'program line' setting is on 'fast' (it has a running man icon). This should push things in the right direction.

But these program algorithms are never aggressive enough IMO, usually choosing a middling course, so I'd take control I were you and keep a highish ISO - 800 or 1600 on that camera should be fine, choose a wide aperture lens (maybe f2.8 maximum would be OK?), then use Tav and set ... I don't know, what does everyone think?.... around 1/1000th sec or so to keep sharp shots?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 01/07/2014 - 19:40

McBrian

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 20:21
Sounds like a life time one off Carl, enjoy the day and let the photography take second place.

Quote:
Half tempted to set the K5IIs to 'auto' and get 'averaged' shots rather than risk messing up in the heat of the moment - any thoughts on the pros/cons of this approach?

TAv, =>1/1000 and let the camera do the rest.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Last Edited by McBrian on 01/07/2014 - 20:22

greynolds999

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 20:28
I would make sure I had a good compact with me for the flight. Aircraft are very tight and no place for telephotos and zooms. Unless they don't have doors!

And you might be restricted on weight.

In fact getting anything better than a snapshot takes a lot of skill.
My Photobucket

gtis

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 20:43
Hi Carl
I will keep a lookout for you has I hope to be around Leeds at about 8-00am
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter

Panasonic Dmc Fz200

fritzthedog

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 21:17
greynolds999 wrote:
I would make sure I had a good compact with me for the flight. Aircraft are very tight and no place for telephotos and zooms. Unless they don't have doors!

And you might be restricted on weight.

In fact getting anything better than a snapshot takes a lot of skill.

Good idea Gareth - will stick the Q in my pocket

Carl

fritzthedog

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 21:18
gtis wrote:
Hi Carl
I will keep a lookout for you has I hope to be around Leeds at about 8-00am

Hi Neil

If I bump in to you - will try and smuggle you in to the VIP area for a bacon sarnie - have a good day!

Carl
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 01/07/2014 - 21:18

fritzthedog

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 21:19
Nigel/ Brian - Tav 1/1000th makes sense - good idea

Carl

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 22:32
Give us a wave when you fly over the Ilkley / Addingham stretch

I am wondering if I'll be able to cycle from Ilkley across to Harrogate to catch the end of the race on the Stray. The main roads will be closed until late afternoon and the back roads will most likely be chock-full of traffic. Let me know if there's a spare seat in the back of the helicopter..!

Looking forward to any pictures you get to take, but most of all I hope you enjoy the day.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 01/07/2014 - 23:17
LongTimeLurker wrote:
Give us a wave when you fly over the Ilkley / Addingham stretch

I am wondering if I'll be able to cycle from Ilkley across to Harrogate to catch the end of the race on the Stray. The main roads will be closed until late afternoon and the back roads will most likely be chock-full of traffic. Let me know if there's a spare seat in the back of the helicopter..!

Looking forward to any pictures you get to take, but most of all I hope you enjoy the day.

Thanks Nigel

Roads are going to be a real problem. I live in Scotton, a couple of miles from Knaresborough and all the roads around me are closed - still trying to work out how to get to Leeds on Saturday and York on Sunday.

For you - certainly can't get in via Skipton Road and A59 is closed. I think you may be OK if you go down the 658 from Poole and then take the back road to the left - forget the road name - goes through Leathley to Beckwithshaw - and then cut in to Harrogate on Otley Road - towards Harlow Carr - don't think that route is closed.

Train appears to be my only option but that will involve a 3 mile walk to Knaresborough station.

Carl

tyronet2000

Link Posted 02/07/2014 - 09:31
Helicopter flights (10 mins) are available here for £39. Weight limit 18 stone or 114 Kg so includes me out Not sure if the use of a camera would be possible ?
Regards
Stan

PPG

gartmore

Link Posted 02/07/2014 - 12:08
I've done a lot of work from helicopters both stills and video but always with a door off. To give you an idea, on one job we hired the aircraft for two weeks and used the camera mount that had just come off a 007 movie. So long as you aren't leaning on the aircraft you won't have any problems with vibrations. Depending on the aircraft best place is on the starboard behind the pilot because a helicopter naturally turns smoothly in a clockwise direction if you are planning on going around the action. Turning the other way can be pretty choppy. It may be you will be limited in manouevering due the other aircraft in close proximity of course. I can't imagine you will be limited in any way by the weight of your equipment. I cant see any use for the 10-20 unless you want to snap the pilot. I would go for 1/250 on Tv for starters
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 02/07/2014 - 12:11

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 00:56
fritzthedog wrote:

For you - certainly can't get in via Skipton Road and A59 is closed. I think you may be OK if you go down the 658 from Poole and then take the back road to the left - forget the road name - goes through Leathley to Beckwithshaw - and then cut in to Harrogate on Otley Road - towards Harlow Carr - don't think that route is closed.

Train appears to be my only option but that will involve a 3 mile walk to Knaresborough station.

Carl

Certainly, the back roads are the way to go. Leathley is on one of my regular routes and I just hope nobody else has the same idea. Fat chance!

Is the helicopter not picking you up on Saturday? Plenty of fields your way to set down

Just checked the weather forecast - it should be perfect flying weather during Saturday afternoon.

Due to work pressures I missed the Ilkley town centre racing on Tuesday and the racing in Otley on Wednesday. By all accounts the Ilkley races were a good spectacle. I do have a generous boss though as he is taking us to the opening ceremony at the Leeds Arena
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 07:57
LongTimeLurker wrote:

Is the helicopter not picking you up on Saturday? Plenty of fields your way to set down

Hadn't thought of that Nigel - there is a nice flat field next to our house and the paddock where my wife keeps her horse across the road - that would do nicely

My wife - ever helpful - has offered to lend me George (what sort of name is that for a horse?) as the bridleway to Knaresborough will not be closed

Carl
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.