Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Taking pics without a memory card.

Mike-P
Posted 26/04/2009 - 19:36 Link
Why don't DSLR's have a small amount of memory built into them so that if you take the camera out and leave your card in the laptop you can still take a few shots .. even if they are just jpegs.

And yes, I have a grip but forgot to put the card back after the last time I left the main one in the laptop
Tyr
Posted 26/04/2009 - 19:40 Link
Because you need to build in a second cirquit set for additional memory, this complicates the board which already has limited space and adds to cost. It is hardly ever needed as most people keep several cards with the camera bag. Personally I have one in the camera, one in the grip and one in my bag.

Most compacts have stupid built in memory like 16MB or 24MB maybe 64MB which will give you nothing at all.
shim
Posted 26/04/2009 - 19:47 Link
I think some compacts have internal and external memory and a lot of MP3 players do as well. Pocket PCs have internal plus SD + CF so it can't be that difficult.

shim
Mannesty
Posted 26/04/2009 - 19:59 Link
I use an HP iPaq belt clip case for my HTC Touch HD phone. It has two pockets for SD cards and I keep them stocked with two old 512Mb cards for just that eventuality.

I've never needed to use them until Saturday at SRS when I needed to try before buying the 60-250mm.

Why not keep a card in your wallet?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
dogdirt
Posted 26/04/2009 - 20:07 Link
I've got a Kodak D3700 from about 2002 - 3.3Mp - and so basic you can't even take self-timer shots, but it has got a "massive" 8Mb internal memory - enough for about 6 shots - and can take up to a 2Gb SD card as well.
I agree with Mike-P. It can't be that difficult to include that in the modern DSLRs.
K10D. Tamron 18-250 F3.5/6.3, P-KA 50mm 1.4, Takumar-A 28-80mm F3.5/4.5, Vivitar 70-300mm F4.2/5.8, Teleplus MC-7 2x converter and some Cokin stuff. Also Optio E80(coz I've got big fingers!), Pentax A3 and Chinon CP-7m.
-------------------------------------
Today is yesterday's tomorrow !
Mike-P
Posted 26/04/2009 - 20:29 Link
Mannesty wrote:

Why not keep a card in your wallet?

That wouldn't be much use, my wife has it 99% of the time
jackitec
Posted 26/04/2009 - 20:43 Link
You wouldn't forget to carry spare film.
iceblinker
Posted 26/04/2009 - 21:02 Link
Built-in memory, even 64GB of it, would only take a small amount of space for a small chip. I can only think it's excluded for penny pinching reasons, or because the manufacturers really think we don't want it.

Anyway after forgetting your memory card, in future you'll make sure all your bags have a spare card or three in the pockets
~Pete
MattMatic
Posted 26/04/2009 - 21:52 Link
You mean you spend several hundred quid on a camera and can't afford a 15 high spec card to sit inside the camera?
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Mike-P
Posted 26/04/2009 - 22:13 Link
MattMatic wrote:
You mean you spend several hundred quid on a camera and can't afford a 15 high spec card to sit inside the camera?
Matt

What has affording a memory card got to do this :
johnriley
Posted 26/04/2009 - 22:15 Link
If we had built in memory then we'd have to attach the camera to the PC to get the images, or transfer them to a card in the camera. What a drag when we can just use a card in the first place.
Best regards, John
Mike-P
Posted 26/04/2009 - 22:37 Link
johnriley wrote:
If we had built in memory then we'd have to attach the camera to the PC to get the images, or transfer them to a card in the camera. What a drag when we can just use a card in the first place.

It would be used as a backup, not for permanent use.
I really wonder sometimes ....
Don
Posted 26/04/2009 - 22:43 Link
one of my video cams can move video and photos from it's internal HD to a memory stick...

I'd prefer a camera that had memory and wifi built in, using memory cards as optional expansion/image transfer upgrades....
built in battery chargeing, and software that would transfer the images and charge the batteries when ever an ac adapter or usb cable got plugged in....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 26/04/2009 - 22:44
MattMatic
Posted 27/04/2009 - 09:12 Link
Quote:
What has affording a memory card got to do this

Compact cams often have a small amount of storage so people can just buy the camera and get on using it. They may have spent 100 on the camera and don't want to spend the extra for the card.
I have 3 x 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III cards that get cycled. So the camera is always loaded with a card... you never know when you might want to take a picture

Additionally, the dSLRs may be called upon to take several tens of thousands of shots - which may actually wear out an internal flash You can always replace the SD card

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Darkmunk
Posted 27/04/2009 - 09:51 Link
Wow! so many people missing the point...
I'm with you Mike. I have found myself lugging a bloody great camera and grip and telephoto all over place but unable to use it because I dashed out without a card. I have 3 super duper extreme IIIs but they are no use to man or beast if you have a blond (bald) moment.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.