Taking photos on London Underground?

dinneenp

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:47
Hi,
I'll be getting the underground from Heathrow to Knightsbridge and Knightsbridge to Gatwick.
I'm wondering what's the story with taking pictures-I'll have a K-X and Panasonic ZS3 with me (more discreet but probably not as good in low light).
1. Are you allowed to take photos on the underground network?
2. If yes, is it a case of take photos but you might be approacthed and asked what you're doing? Will they ask you to delete photos?
3. Anything else to note?
Cheers,
Pa.
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 09:58
When the Blue Uniform takes you by the collar - that's when you know that it was not allowed.
Seriously, I would not try it without written permission from Network Rail and London Transport (or whoever it is these days) in my pocket. I would assume that anyone in a Blue Uniform has no knowledge of the current law (whatever it is) and will demand that you hand over the camera / memorycard / film / etc (assume no knowledge of the technology either)to them.
Not something that I would care to try.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

Helpful

JonSchick

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 10:03
First thing to note is that there is no underground from Knightsbridge to Gatwick - you will need to take the train from Victoria Station (easier and nicer to get the bus from Knightsbridge to Victoria). You have the choice of the excellent but pricey Gatwick Express service, which is very frequent and takes 30 minutes, or other trains which stop once or twice on the way, which are also very frequent, somewhat cheaper, and take perhaps 10 minutes longer.

Second thing is that I think technically you need to ask permission to take photographs on the Underground, but you are unlikely to be challenged if you use a compact camera. The light is actually pretty bright in most tube stations so you shouldn't need to go above perhaps ISO400. I personally would not use an SLR in busy central London underground stations, but have got some great photographs with an old 5MP Panasonic LC1 - given that was a complete noise-monster, I am sure that your ZS3 should be able to cope pretty well.

Helpful

dinneenp

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 10:29
Thanks- I think I'll use my compact so.
All the more reason to look forward to getting a Panasonic LX5/Sony S95/similar so I'll have full manual controls.
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.

dinneenp

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 10:32
Just saw this post on PetaPixel about recovering deleted photos.
Don't think I'll bother though this time
Cheers,
Pa

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 10:36
Just do it, but be considerate to others, and humble if you are queried by a member of staff. I suspect that a lot of the confrontations we hear about are partly due to the attitude of the photographer. But the worst possible thing you could do is ask permission. You think Japanese tourists write for permission? No, because you are a visitor to London, and it's perfectly normal to want to take pictures wherever you go.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

davidtrout

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 10:46
Pentaxophile wrote:
Just do it, but be considerate to others, and humble if you are queried by a member of staff. I suspect that a lot of the confrontations we hear about are partly due to the attitude of the photographer. But the worst possible thing you could do is ask permission. You think Japanese tourists write for permission? No, because you are a visitor to London, and it's perfectly normal to want to take pictures wherever you go.

I agree with this. If you are not aware of the comfort zone of other passengers you may uspet them more than the authorities.
As for being told to delete your images when challenged by staff that should never happen.
Civilian staff must call the police if they are suspicious of anyone's behaviour and experienced police would never tell to you delete your pictures. If you were really up to no good the memory card would be vital evidence. An officer would be within his rights to ask to view your images though.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Pwynnej

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 10:49
Be discreet and aware of your surroundings. And be sensitive towards other people on the platform.

Turn off the flash, use of flash will get you noticed, especially when there is a train approaching.

And be safe
K20D, Z-1p, Z-1
F50 1.7,FAs 24,31,35,50 1.4,77,85,135. DA*16-50. DA*60-250. DA*300 D-FA 100
SA 12-24.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

polchraine

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 11:06
Pwynnej wrote:
Be discreet and aware of your surroundings. And be sensitive towards other people on the platform.

Turn off the flash, use of flash will get you noticed, especially when there is a train approaching.

And be safe

It is actually a bylaw. Flash is not permitted on the platforms without special permission and you are unlikely to get that.

I see many people taking pictures on platforms - without any hassle except when they are too close to the edge with an incoming train or they use a flash when any LT staff will stop them. An inconsiderate flash can temporarily blind a driver as he emerges from a tunnel.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

alfpics

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 11:29
I remember reading somewhere that they are happy for you to take photos on the underground so long as you don't use flash (and I guess not a tripod as it could be a lethal trip hazard)
Andy
Andy

RayB

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 11:31
Generally, London Underground are okay with tourist/enthusiast photographers, but you'll always get staff that are not fully up to speed with the rules. A couple of points to remember;

You are not allowed to use a flash anywhere on the Underground

Tripods are prohibited, not sure where you'd stand with a monopod, but its best not to test the rule

If your camera uses an LED as a focusing aid, switch it off

No one, even a Police Officer, can make you delete images.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 13:24

johnriley

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 13:59
If you want to photograph seriously on the Underground it would be wise to write in and apply for permission. I believe there is a small charge.
Best regards, John

Unlocker

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 15:38
We were in London a month ago and went on the tube with our K-7s round our necks acting the tourists, was never hassled, but then I never brought the camera up to my eye to get shots like this:-

Must admit, we were expecting to get 'aggro' having our K-7s with us around London, but no one troubled us at all!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

polchraine

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 15:44
Unlocker wrote:
We were in London a month ago and went on the tube with our K-7s round our necks acting the tourists, was never hassled, but then I never brought the camera up to my eye to get shots like this:-

Must admit, we were expecting to get 'aggro' having our K-7s with us around London, but no one troubled us at all!

That is on one of the Bakerloo line platforms!
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.