tablets

Russ

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 11:09
I made a small error on my post. The Google Nexus 7 2013 does not have the HDMI port on the unit, you have to buy an additional adapter that plugs in the mini USB port. Hmm hadn't noticed that, takes the shine of it a little.

As per Tony and Percy, its a very personal experience thing. What you get used too. My wife thinks my android devices are hard to use and confusing. I personally absolutely hate Apple software. Within seconds of going near iTunes i am shouting at the screen. Intuitive is not a word they are familiar with in my opinion. All very personal.

cabstar

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 12:28
I point blank refuse to install itunes.

I got through around three android tablets and just got so fed up of the lack of updates by some manufacturers and they where all branded tablets too not chinese knock offs.

I am the worst apple hater going and certainly no fan boy but my ipad 2 just works, I open the cover and its on working, it has the best screen for showing photos and my portfolio always look good on it. To show my lack of apple support all my portfolios are stored on microsoft skydrive and my ipad works great with it.

The camera kit i use was just 3 from ebay.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Russ

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 12:39
That is a huge problem with the Android devices. My previous tablet said "Jelly Bean ready". They then put a notice on their site saying older tablets would not get the update, even those that were 'Jelly Bean ready'. Grrrr

I figured the Nexus will get the updates being an official Google device.

But yes Apple is the only safe bet for an easy life, even if some of their software is truly horrendous to use.

Gwyn

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 12:53
Tesco have just announced a tablet: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24203271

There are also some Kindles that work like tablets aren't there?

fritzthedog

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 13:14
In reality - the choice process is just the same as buying a PC. I upgraded to the latest incarnation of the Galaxy 2 10.1 after 2 weeks research based on what I wanted to use it for and professional and user reviews.

An i-pad was never in the decision process due to price and a personal antipathy towards anything starting with i-

So decision was based on OS, performance, usability, price, size and whether it would do what I wanted it for etc.

I was initially favoring a wimdows OS but all the research changed my mind - I then settled on Samsung as their products ticked all of my boxes (including good personal experience with other Samsung products).

So eventually I was left with the Galaxy or the Note and settled on the Galaxy as I could not see any personal advantage in spending an additional 100 on the Note even though it does deliver more.

After a month - I am delighted with my choice.

On the other hand, my wife, who by her own proud admission is a complete Luddite when it comes to anything to do with mobile technology - and whose only use for such devices is social networking and email, will not entertain anything but an i-pad

Horses for courses.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 23/09/2013 - 13:15

Russ

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 13:34
fritzthedog wrote:

After a month - I am delighted with my choice.

On the other hand, my wife, who by her own proud admission is a complete Luddite when it comes to anything to do with mobile technology - and whose only use for such devices is social networking and email, will not entertain anything but an i-pad

Horses for courses.

Carl

Ditto my wife would sooner use a stone tablet than go anywhere near my Android device. She is Apple's greatest fan.

Gwyn

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 13:41
Now me, I avoid all things Android and Google. Can't afford Apple and wouldn't buy them even if I could. I shall wait for the promised W8 touchscreen netbooks. They will be more useful to me than a tablet anyway.

cabstar

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 14:43
Ms Surface 2 gets anounced today, this could prove a major anouncement on the tablet front. The surface pro looks superb in the flesh and a powerful piece of kit too.
Concert photography

Russ

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 15:48
Gwyn wrote:
Now me, I avoid all things Android and Google. Can't afford Apple and wouldn't buy them even if I could. I shall wait for the promised W8 touchscreen netbooks. They will be more useful to me than a tablet anyway.

I have a W8 powered phone, the Nokia Lumia 520, and absolutely love it. Have no idea why W8 products get dissed by users (reviewers love it). So easy to use, so smooth, so logical. Makes the other two (Apple and Android) seem so clunky. A W8 touchscreen netbook sounds awesome...

Gwyn

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 16:06
Russ wrote:

I have a W8 powered phone, the Nokia Lumia 520, and absolutely love it. Have no idea why W8 products get dissed by users (reviewers love it). So easy to use, so smooth, so logical. Makes the other two (Apple and Android) seem so clunky. A W8 touchscreen netbook sounds awesome...

I have a 920, a bit of a brick but I like it. His Nibs got a 620 (in pink) after seeing how easy mine was to use. Have W8 on the desk top now too.

Netbooks due in a month or so I am told. Lenovo, Asus, HP and I think even Dell are doing one.

cabstar

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 16:06
I have a wp8 phone which is far superior to windows 8 from a usability point of view. From a phone point of view i wont have anything else...
Concert photography

davem

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 19:27
wow what a debate

I am looking for a device that:
- connects to the internet by wifi and tethering to my 3G phone (no mobile contract needed)

- has an sd card facility for reviewing photos in the field.

(I don't need to edit photos)

- fairly sturdy as it will be in the campervan when we travel

- has reasonable sound for checking up bird species from online sites

- has a reasonable size screen. 10" is my preference I think

- the ability for note writing would be useful

other thoughts

I don't intend to watch movies on it

I would like to store and access my 1" series OS map software so windows or android systems would be helpful

I gave up on apple years ago when they started adding their niche pricing. However at the right price I could be persuaded I suppose

I don't need another camera, but I suppose all tablets have one or even two!!!!
My notebook is not being used by me much- my daughter uses it more so there may be a deal here coupled with some amazon vouchers...

Separate question - what do you use your tablet for?

Dave
Last Edited by davem on 23/09/2013 - 19:37

percy

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 21:39
davem wrote:

I gave up on apple years ago when they started adding their niche pricing. However at the right price I could be persuaded I suppose

The iPad doesn't have to be that expensive. I got mine from the Apple refurbished/clearance store at about 60% of the retail price. Came with full warranty, new case (ie the iPad body, not a cover or protective case) and battery.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 22:52
CMW wrote:
There's no real doubt that the iPad is currently still the one to beat. As with all Apple products, it carries the premium pricing that comes with being leader of the pack. I have used the Samsung and it's fine -- just not (yet?) as good.

LOL - it was only a matter of time before an iSupremacist appeared.

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Russ

Link Posted 23/09/2013 - 22:55
davem wrote:
Separate question - what do you use your tablet for?

Dave

Mainly for the internet. But also for checking photos when away from home. I have my calender on there, appointments etc. Make notes on it if in a meeting at work. A couple of games for moments of boredom (at work over lunch).
I would like a 10" screen model but a W8 Netbook with touchscreen sounds the future

We have W8 at home on the desktop but it does seem a little pointless as i have disabled the start screen. Just goes straight to desktop, so basically looks like W7. Do get a free upgrade to W8.1 soon, with a load of fixes apparently.
Last Edited by Russ on 23/09/2013 - 22:55
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.