Studio strobe snoots.

Snoops27

Link Posted 17/11/2014 - 13:35
I've been looking at snoots for my strobe on Ebay. The links below lead to 3 which are different in general size, number of step-downs, distance from connector to main part of snoot etc.. Is there any benefit from any specific shape or do they all do basically the same job?
P.S. all are Bowens S-type fit.

http://ebay.eu/1wNCRhp
http://ebay.eu/14yOhPy
http://ebay.eu/1ER2WR8
Follow me, I'm right behind you...

gartmore

Link Posted 18/11/2014 - 12:43
The second one isn't a Bowens fit but basically they all do the same thing but you might get more verstility out of 4 barn doors and a honeycomb although snoots will give you a very tight spot which in a small space might be a bit too tight. The other downside with snoots is that you should really switch off the modelling light which will overheat and these are the very things that need modelling lights!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Snoops27

Link Posted 18/11/2014 - 14:19
gartmore wrote:
The second one isn't a Bowens fit but basically they all do the same thing but you might get more verstility out of 4 barn doors and a honeycomb although snoots will give you a very tight spot which in a small space might be a bit too tight. The other downside with snoots is that you should really switch off the modelling light which will overheat and these are the very things that need modelling lights!

Oops, I probably copied the wrong link for number 2, but no matter. Thanks again Ken, I'll start looking at the barn doors a bit closer. One thing I have seen tho' is that the cheaper barn doors have different types of gels, from what looks like thin cellophane to what looks like bicycle reflector material. Any thoughts on that? Back to honeycombs(for either barn doors or to fit reflectors) - are the cheap far-eastern ones any good, or are they poorly manufactured to the point that they won't do a good job? I can find them priced from £6 - £20 each or at £22 for barn doors/4 gels/honeycomb all included. Sorry for all the questions but I don't see the point of learning the hard way when I can simply ask for advice from folks who have "been there/done that"! You can give me advice on light stands too if you like, my strobe weighs in at 3.26K without any modifiers attached. Thanks to Ken and any one else willing to give good advice.

gartmore

Link Posted 18/11/2014 - 17:22
The cheap ones are OK for light use. I bought a set of barndoors, reflector, honeycomb and four gels for not much on ebay but I cant remember who from or how much they cost. They were significantly cheaper than Bowens ones but a bit rattly Could be these ones eBay

Past experience is to stay away from cheap soft boxes, the ones I bought burst their seams in no time.

Air damped stands are good.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 18/11/2014 - 17:23

Helpful

gartmore

Link Posted 18/11/2014 - 17:25
There is lots of good advice on lighting on the Bowens TV channel on youtube
Ken

Helpful

Snoops27

Link Posted 18/11/2014 - 18:53
gartmore wrote:
The cheap ones are OK for light use. I bought a set of barndoors, reflector, honeycomb and four gels for not much on ebay but I cant remember who from or how much they cost. They were significantly cheaper than Bowens ones but a bit rattly Could be these ones eBay

Past experience is to stay away from cheap soft boxes, the ones I bought burst their seams in no time.

Air damped stands are good.

Thanks again Ken, funnily enough I have been looking at air-damped stands so I'll obviously take your advice there. The barn doors in the link look quite good too,so there again, thanks! As the room I'll be using is very small, I was thinking about getting a wall bracket to save space. Any thoughts on that?

gartmore

Link Posted 18/11/2014 - 20:30
Would you not be very limited where you could place the light? I have quite a big space so I use a Calumet heavy duty background stand over the camera and sling the key light with a Soft Lite Reflector (for portraits) from that which frees up a bit of floor space and then I've only got three other stands and the refectors to trip over.

I would try using a stand first, you can never have too many anyway.
Ken

Snoops27

Link Posted 18/11/2014 - 22:08
gartmore wrote:
Would you not be very limited where you could place the light? I have quite a big space so I use a Calumet heavy duty background stand over the camera and sling the key light with a Soft Lite Reflector (for portraits) from that which frees up a bit of floor space and then I've only got three other stands and the refectors to trip over.

I would try using a stand first, you can never have too many anyway.

These are what I had in mind -
http://ebay.eu/1wUldIU http://bit.ly/1AeMLz9
and possibly -
http://ebay.eu/1AeNQqH

All to be used with this, http://ebay.eu/11zQgSw , + a sheet of 8mm thick clear perspex to use instead of the white acrylic sheet supplied with the table. The clear sheet to be used shooting translucent thinly cut things like cucumber/tomato etc. I can also cover with different coloured materials. I do hope you can visualise what I'm trying to say.

gartmore

Link Posted 19/11/2014 - 15:20
I think Isee what your are trying to do now, so the stand in the first link that only goes up to 80cm will be used to shoot throught the stand from behind? If so that will work well.
Ken

Snoops27

Link Posted 19/11/2014 - 17:02
gartmore wrote:
I think Isee what your are trying to do now, so the stand in the first link that only goes up to 80cm will be used to shoot throught the stand from behind? If so that will work well.

Yip, that's bang on Ken. It's difficult to visualise what people put in words, but you've got it right. I'm just hoping that you're right and it does work well... Only time will tell! Thanks again..
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.